Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Wow is CPU demanding.
    This is a lie and has been since WoD launched.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    I have a 6700k @ 4.5GHz and a Titan X. I run 4K, and the game recommends 7 out of 10 for the graphic preset which looks worse than live in some aspects. Setting it up to 9/10, in many areas my FPS becomes low 30s due to the new draw distance and grass density. This seems insane given my specs. GPU usage is 99%, so no CPU bottleneck.

I can go on live, max everything, and see 100FPS everywhere. Sure it doesn't look as good but I never expected my computer not capable of maxing WoW. It seems others have experienced the same, and i've made sure it's not my computer by running 3DMark and other benchmarks.

I noticed on the PTR the build is marked "release" so I doubt those background processes are still running that some people blame. Fingers crossed that when 7.0 goes live Tuesday these performance issues don't carry over... =/
    the equivalent of ultra of live is 5/10 on legion, at least for the distance view, so 7/10 is actually pretty good

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    This is a lie and has been since WoD launched.
    Indeed, CPU is important just like every other game, but I can definitely see the difference in the amount of detail that has been added, and the higher the amount of VRAM used by average. In WoD on 4K max I peak around 2GB VRAM in Legion on the new max settings it goes up to 4GB VRAM.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2016-07-19 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    this is a flightpath test.

CPU is largely irrelevant here, as the number of individual draw calls being issued is quite low and very static and predictable.

Wows CPU demand comes from the addons mostly. Also many events like in a raid are cpu/network dependent.
    Even if it stutters and cpu core isn't at 100% doesn't mean it's not bottlenecked. Badly optimised addons can cause some big cpu usage.
    One good example this expansion was recount. At archi hc with a good amount of people many claimed they got bad fps. After a hint to disable recount, their fps went straight up. With skada or details the problems were nearly non existent.
    To counteract such things you gonna need a fast (more ghz) cpu .

Wow is CPU demanding. You can throw 4 GTX 1080's at it and it won't run any different then a GTX 970.
    If you are wanting WoW 4k/60fps max settings your not going to get it. I highly dough you get it on live as well even more so in Garrison and in Mythic raiding.
    Legion will be more graphic demanding but wow is still a CPU whore.
    That's not correct. I can run WoW twice at UHD on my 980ti and the cpu (i5) demand looks like this:

When I upgrade the same system to this 980ti GPU it doubled my framerate. The game may be cpu bound during vanilla, but today it's like all other games eating up your GPU power. The reason stuff runs slow is the net and server/client communication with so many other players. That is creating lag and stuttering.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-07-19 at 12:53 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I optimized an addon which caused fps drops. Wow did not run into a 100% cpu core usage bottleneck but fps dropped.
    Optimizing that addon brought frames back in line but cpu usage didn't not really changed.
    People just don't understand, that you can run into a cpu bottleneck before a core gets to 100%.
    Of course fixing such cpu intensive addon is better than brute forcing it with a faster cpu, but it doesn't change the fact.
    And with the overwhelming amount of addons such things start to really effect your fps. Sure, if you only use a small amount you want notice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    That's not correct. I can run WoW twice at UHD on my 980ti and the cpu (i5) demand looks like this:

When I upgrade the same system to this 980ti GPU it doubled my framerate. The game may be cpu bound during vanilla, but today it's like all other games eating up your GPU power. The reason stuff runs slow is the net and server/client communication with so many other players. That is creating lag and stuttering.
    It's because WoW and all other MMO's use TCP for communications which requires a huge CPU overhead. FPS's get away with using UDP which is why you don't see their rigs melting with 64 player games. People overlook this detail a lot but that's why raids and large PVP battles always slow down.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    It's because WoW and all other MMO's use TCP for communications which requires a huge CPU overhead.
    So does BitTorrent, but BitTorrent doesn't chew CPU, at least not on my system. I think it's a combination of things though, with the main culprit being how the game engine handles network traffic generally - I'm not sure that switching to UDP would change much. My rig isn't the fastest in the world (i3-530, 8GB RAM, Palit GT-430), but it's a bit much for the UI to freeze when I first enter the game environment and mouse over an item in my bag, or when the guild panel is retrieving who looted what that day - I assume the engine has to make a network call to retrieve the data for those item IDs.

I think the best way to increase performance on the client would be to move to an asynchronous model for the user interface and network comms, but that would very likely require an enormous re-architecture and rewrite, and would fundamentally change the game client - and potentially how the server interacts with it.

Wow is CPU demanding. You can throw 4 GTX 1080's at it and it won't run any different then a GTX 970.

If you are wanting WoW 4k/60fps max settings your not going to get it. I highly dough you get it on live as well even more so in Garrison and in Mythic raiding.

What does your CPU have to do with outputting 4K? That's the GPU's job.

To answer you all...would you try and run a VHS/VCR @ 4k resolution? No. It would be horrible. Same applies to old CPUs or even new ones. 4k is going to be surpassed by the time it "catches" on. It's the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray debacle all over again.

World of Warcraft is not intended for that.

thats wrong.. so stop spreading lies... 4x Titan cards would give way more then 600% over one 970.. so stop

I agree on disabling ultra water. Makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by simonlvschal View Post
    thats wrong.. so stop spreading lies... 4x Titan cards would give way more then 600% over one 970.. so stop
    No.. it wont. WoW isn't GPU bound except in a few very specific cases/areas and those only exist now that there are 3 levels above the "old" Ultra.
    WoW's framerates are entirely bottlenecked around the number of draw calls the CPU can issue and how fast it can do so.

Period. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    It's because WoW and all other MMO's use TCP for communications which requires a huge CPU overhead. FPS's get away with using UDP which is why you don't see their rigs melting with 64 player games. People overlook this detail a lot but that's why raids and large PVP battles always slow down.
    Sure let's change wow to udp and when your spell doesn't land don't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    No.. it wont. WoW isn't GPU bound except in a few very specific cases/areas and those only exist now that there are 3 levels above the "old" Ultra.
    WoW's framerates are entirely bottlenecked around the number of draw calls the CPU can issue and how fast it can do so.

Period. Full stop.
    i dont think u know how it works lol.. Yes it would.. if i change from 980 ti to a 970 i lose over 180% performence.. cause the 970 is unable to keep up with the texture load, rendering etc..

i dont think u know how it works lol.. Yes it would.. if i change from 980 ti to a 970 i lose over 180% performence.. cause the 970 is unable to keep up with the texture load, rendering etc..
    I have a far better idea of how it works than you do, apparently. 970 was never meant for 4k, but WoW is still CPU bound. You would notice no discernable difference at 4k netween a 980, 980Ti, or 1080. Once you have a card capable of 4k, it falls back on the CPU.

The limiting factor is the number of draw calls being issued, which is 100% dependent on single-core CPU performance. Fulll stop.

6700K at 4.5Ghz and 2 980Ti FTW Editions and I have zero issue at 10/10 at 4K resolution, was still recommended for 7/10 though.

With Wow... No it won't because WoW is more CPU demanding.

Facts prove this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The Titan x isn't old and busted - it's wow that's old and busted

I have a 4970k @ 4.8 and dual 1080s and on my 5k setup I'm able to max with 70ish fps everywhere with ~30% load on my gpus. The caveat? In places like stormwind I drop to 50ish fps. Still 30% load on the cards. Nothing you can do about it. It's purely the engine and its limited and inefficient use of new cpu architecture/multiple threads.

The irony is maxing something like witcher 3 with a higher and more stable frame rate but I digress. It's a shame wow hasn't seen a rewrite after 12 years but you know who the target audience is and it isn't serious gamers or enthusiasts:

An mmorpg without buffs?!? Wut? Oops I digress again!