Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best review description I've seen yet: 'Ghostbusters' (2016) Review: Racist, Man-Hating Mediocrity. Redlettermedia review was spot on as always.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    ghostbusters may not be an unknown franchise but it is a franchise that hasnt had any major brand recognition in about 20 years outside of the video game, which was like 10 years ago.

kids today have never seen or heard about ghostbusters. even if it were ghostbusters 3 it wouldve been a tough sell over life of pets.
    Meanwhile deadpool

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I don't really care if the movie makes profit or loses or whatnot, but I do find it humorous that they can claim it "meets expectations" that they never really said publicly beforehand.
    They expected it was going to be a turd they were going to have to write off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Meanwhile deadpool
    deadpool has had brand recognition on the internet for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

deadpool also had almost no trust from its own studio, getting its own budget slashed multiple times and only being greenlit because of the internets reaction to the leaked pitch footage.

deadpool had nothing to lose. with its budget so low even if it had flopped it wouldnt have been a big deal for fox
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Meanwhile deadpool
    Far far superior media campaign. And damn near universal enthusiasm and hype for Ryan Reynolds on top of that offset all the other issues that plagued it. GB franchise has been in limbo since GB2, which was critically panned, when it released in 1989. So this movie was already swimming upstream in shit creek from the get go, and without that level of viral support that Deadpool got.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2016-07-19 at 02:22 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

So let me get this right. A franchise that has dedicated fans and lots of hype and Internet speculation , it all doesn't matter since that stuff doesn't count

Meanwhile. A relatively unknown character , that had such little faith that the studio slashed the budget , and he had already been done so badly before that folks were not expecting much, he had the advantage?

Sorry but no. If one of those films should have done well it was Ghostbusters. It has the fan base, it has the hype and the clear desire for a sequel, it had the huge budget.

Deadpool just had everything it didn't. A passionate crew that respected the source material and a good marketing campaign. The rest ghostbusters had them beat on.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention it was also rated R which hurt sales as far as putting ass in seats. Another point ghostbusters had in its favor.

So let me get this right. A franchise that has dedicated fans and lots of hype and Internet speculation , it all doesn't matter since that stuff doesn't count

Meanwhile. A relatively unknown character , that had such little faith that the studio slashed the budget , and he had already been done so badly before that folks were not expecting much, he had the advantage?

Sorry but no. If one of those films should have done well it was Ghostbusters. It has the fan base, it has the hype and the clear desire for a sequel, it had the huge budget.

Deadpool just had everything it didn't. A passionate crew that respected the source material and a good marketing campaign. The rest ghostbusters had them beat on.
    The level of shit that Ghostbusters had to wade through to get released is almost a movie in itself. They could have Wes Anderson direct it. Look up any movie that went through extended developmental hell, they tend to fall short. And we're talking literally almost three decades between this Ghostbusters and the last; and almost two decades worth of that same type of Hollywood run around that Deadpool faced in its development. It's not even close to a fair comparison.

Most of Deadpool's target audience wasn't even born when the first Ghostbusters was released.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2016-07-19 at 03:39 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Far far superior media campaign. And damn near universal enthusiasm and hype for Ryan Reynolds on top of that offset all the other issues that plagued it. GB franchise has been in limbo since GB2, which was critically panned, when it released in 1989. So this movie was already swimming upstream in shit creek from the get go, and without that level of viral support that Deadpool got.
    And yet Sony spent a fuckton of money trying to generate 1/10th of the hype for this movie as Fox accidentally did for Deadpool, and completely failed. They aired 50 unique TV spots, at least 4 full trailers I know of, and cross promoted the fuck out of this movie. The fact it earned "more than expected" is still pathetic in light of all that. This movie had a built-in potential fanbase, and the director and studio shit on them at every opportunity, and it's showing at the box office.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    Redlettermedia review:

Ouch.
    Paul Feig wanted to feature Pringles because they resemble maxi pads. Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    I can't decide if Paul Feig is really that far up his own ass or if he actually wanted to sabotage this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The fact it earned "more than expected" is still pathetic in light of all that.
    For sure all the talk about 'meeting expectations' is just posturing from Sony trying to manage the horrible climate they've helped create. I can guarantee this film is under performing in both revenue and word-of-mouth.

For sure all the talk about 'meeting expectations' is just posturing from Sony trying to manage the horrible climate they've helped create. I can guarantee this film is under performing in both revenue and word-of-mouth.
    Well, no, just prior to the box office opening they actually revised downward their projected opening earnings, and it ended up sitting on the low end of their initial projections.

But for a summer blockbuster, their projections were low. With a big summer movie, I believe the norm is at least half your production budget in the first weekend, and their projections were a little above 1/4 the production budget.

majority of people didnt even know that was supposed to be deadpool in wolverine origins, and, despite fans disliking it the casual audience loves the shitty wolverine movies

im sorry but ghostbusters fans vastly overestimate the amount of hardcore ghostbusters fans.

ghostbusters is about as relevant to modern movie goers as thundercats.

ninja turtles, transformers, soon power rangers all have one thing in common. theyve consistently been in the media in both tv and movies.

you know what wouldve helped this movie compete with pets? greenlighting that show they announced a year ago. unless you read comics ghostbusters might as well not exist for the past decade.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

And yet Sony spent a fuckton of money trying to generate 1/10th of the hype for this movie as Fox accidentally did for Deadpool, and completely failed. They aired 50 unique TV spots, at least 4 full trailers I know of, and cross promoted the fuck out of this movie. The fact it earned "more than expected" is still pathetic in light of all that. This movie had a built-in potential fanbase, and the director and studio shit on them at every opportunity, and it's showing at the box office.
    Like I said, universal hype. You're talking about a movie franchise that had 20 years, 20 years, to collect dust and its fan base to get too old to give a shit; versus a movie that came to be based solely on fan hype. Now I'm not going to pretend that the Director didn't potentially drop the ball on the finished product, I haven't yet seen it so I won't comment further on that point, but the comparison still falls woefully short.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2016-07-19 at 02:50 PM.

Like I said, universal hype. You're talking about a movie that had 20 years, 20 years, to collect dust and its fan base to get too old to give a shit, versus a movie that came to be based solely on fan hype. Now I'm not going to pretend that the Director didn't potentially drop the ball on the finished product, I haven't yet seen it so I won't comment further on that point, but the comparison still falls woefully short.
    You don't think the Ghostbusters fandom could have built the hypetrain for this movie if Feig and co hadn't spent every waking minute after the first trailer bombed calling them petulant man-babies?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    majority of people didnt even know that was supposed to be deadpool in wolverine origins, and, despite fans disliking it the casual audience loves the shitty wolverine movies

im sorry but ghostbusters fans vastly overestimate the amount of hardcore ghostbusters fans.

ghostbusters is about as relevant to modern movie goers as thundercats.

ninja turtles, transformers, soon power rangers all have one thing in common. theyve consistently been in the media in both tv and movies.

you know what wouldve helped this movie compete with pets? greenlighting that show they announced a year ago. unless you read comics ghostbusters might as well not exist for the past decade.
    And yet it was the Marvel fans that built the hypetrain that catapulted Deadpool to among the top comic book movie releases ever. The Ghostbusters fandom could have done something similar for this movie, except Paul Fieg took every opportunity available to insult and degrade them.

Interesting. I assumed they would have hated it. Still watching the vid now, but so far they are speaking positively about it.

But this supports my opinion. The fans just hated the trailer (which was garbage). If that had been it, this film would probably have been able to get 100 million opening weekend.

But Sony and Feig had to turn this into a sexism/ bash on fans thing.

You don't think the Ghostbusters fandom could have built the hypetrain for this movie if Feig and co hadn't spent every waking minute after the first trailer bombed calling them petulant man-babies?

- - - Updated - - -

And yet it was the Marvel fans that built the hypetrain that catapulted Deadpool to among the top comic book movie releases ever. The Ghostbusters fandom could have done something similar for this movie, except Paul Fieg took every opportunity available to insult and degrade them.
    No, I don't. Because there wasn't that much hype to built on in the first place. Fan enthusiasm for Ghostbusters has been middle of the road at best, even before that first trailer was released. Like I said, most of the people familiar with the GB franchise were kids when it came out. Those who had been following this movie's development have been doing so, for nearly 20 years.

20 years of rumors, false starts, empty promises, script rewrites- 20 years worth- director swaps and more script rewrites, and finally, one shitty trailer. For a franchise that had pretty much all but died at this point in time. Comparing that to Deadpool's viral campaign is pretty unfair, shitty movie or no.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2016-07-19 at 02:58 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I blame Feig and this campaign to shit on the fans instead of just admitting they made a shit trailer.

Anyone remember Warcraft's shitty trailer? How much worse would they have done if they decided to just shit on the fanbase instead of just admitting the trailer was garbage?
    Comparing that to Deadpool's successful campaign is pretty unfair, shitty movie or no.
    Fixed for you. That is literally the only difference. Anyone who thinks Ghostbusters would not be able to make a viral campaign is flat out wrong. This could have been huge.

But they framed it as a "girl powah" kinda thing and chose the absolute worst footage to show to people.
    Last edited by Tempguy; 2016-07-19 at 03:00 PM.

was the fight scene at the end as bad as it looks?

I hate that little fagman