Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    From my understanding, Antarctica is a religion free zone.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Communist China welcomes you with open arms.
    Communist China? Capitalist China.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    French Laizism is great.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Freedom of/from religion is a classic constitutional debate. It doesn't need to discuss dogma at all, which is what they generally ban on these forums. This is not a topic on religion but on freedom.

Banning religious symbols and apparel from public spaces, like for instance public schools, should be the goal of any non-confessional state. But that can't, or should not, extend to the private exercise of religion if we're to defend individual liberties.
    Then we deal with the more blurry incidents on a case by case basis, like the church group trying to proselytize to school kids while they were outside of school grounds having their lunch break. Technically doing no wrong, but ethically trying to weasel around the first amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Communist China? Capitalist China.
    Soviet Union banned religion, Cuba did.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Then we deal with the more blurry incidents on a case by case basis, like the church group trying to proselytize to school kids while they were outside of school grounds having their lunch break. Technically doing no wrong, but ethically trying to weasel around the first amendment.
    I'm personally more interested in the technicalities, because the constitution in our country professes a compromise version of laicite. Which is something that rubs me the wrong way.
    But yeah, people will find and exploit every possibility to have their views exhorted into others. If the lunch folks are too much of a burden, I'm sure some other group will retaliate in similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    Are there any countries in the world where religion is banned? All the time you hear about people demanding the right to have there faith but what about peoples right to not have to have religion in there lives? For example church bells and mosque screaming/prayers. Would this be a good idea and do places like these exist/will they exist in the future?
    That really isn't freedom from religion. Its just banning others being allowed to practice religion. You are already free to not practice a religion.

Freedom of religion and from religion go hand in hand. If religion is banned there's no freedom in that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    On a personal level, I think the world would be a better place without religion as all it does is cause wars and chaos. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Ban on all religions sounds pretty much like religion in itself.
    But it would be an amazing utopia.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Soviet Union banned religion, Cuba did.
    And Soviet Union later embraced it, IIRC and Cuba failed at banning religion and took more lax positions on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji87 View Post
    On a personal level, I think the world would be a better place without religion as all it does is cause wars and chaos. But that's just my opinion.
    I agree to an extent but we'll still have plenty of war and chaos because of other reasons. And some good does come out of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by MurlocDemonHunter View Post
    Everything fun to discuss is banned.
    This is soo true
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    From my understanding, Antarctica is a religion free zone.
    Nah, the Great Old Ones have a thriving Esoteric Order of Dagon branch somewhere there. Plus there is those weird Shoggaths that go door to door wishing to screech "TEKELELEEE!" or as they mean to say "the good news."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really think of any circumstances where religion interfered with my daily life, or was an overt annoyance. Occasionally I will see advertisements. But I live in a fairly well educated, non-religious area.

However if I had to deal with calls to prayer every day, I would be fucking pissed.

what about peoples right to not have to have religion in there lives?
    Too bad you aren't looking for the right to not to have homosexuality in your* life, many more countries to choose from in that department.

*Your definition of "your life" seems a bit too wide imo, but I think it's the same that Putin uses when he thought up the anti-"gay propaganda" laws.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Can you name us a war that is solely started because of religion?

PS. You didn't gave an opinion, you made an allegation.
    Is this the old "religion caused no war" argument where someone says crusades and you say they started because European leaders wanted an excuse to invade?

If the peasants were motivated to gear up and invade a country because of religious reasons they believed were true, wasn't it a religious war for the population, and an invasion war for the rulers?

After all, aren't all religions about gullible people tricked by an intelligent being into doing stupid things for a chance of receiving impossible rewards?

Are there any countries in the world where religion is banned? All the time you hear about people demanding the right to have there faith but what about peoples right to not have to have religion in there lives? For example church bells and mosque screaming/prayers. Would this be a good idea and do places like these exist/will they exist in the future?
    That's not how freedom works young man

You know this is twisted right. The reason you have a right not to believe in any religion is because of freedom of religion. No religion is also a belief system, so you would ban others from believing what you don't believe?

that's not freedom.

Everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe, and you can never force them to stop doing so, or living their life according to what they believe... because that's how life works, everyone believes something, and what they believe dominates their actions and their lives, things they say, how they react or behave .... not every belief system is good, and not every one is right. Countries make laws governed by their common beliefs.

In our society in England, we have certain things we do not allow, you are free to believe what you want, but committing certain actions is unacceptable and we will arrest that delinquent development, even if it is something you believe in. I'm not saying the law is always right, but we can only make decisions on the things people do, and we try to allow as much freedom as possible, only locking up people who do things that harm others at a certain threshold

Religion is the number one cause of death with more kills then communism and nazism combined I just feel that there should be a place where people who dislike the whole religion thing could live and people could kill each other on the other side of the pond. Imagine a place where gays can live freely without reprucussion. Where you can have your holiday any time of year and where people can pursue science and art without having to debate against creationists/people who think drawing a muhamed caricature should lead to your death

Religion is the number one cause of death with more kills then communism and nazism combined I just feel that there should be a place where people who dislike the whole religion thing could live and people could kill each other on the other side of the pond. Imagine a place where gays can live freely without reprucussion. Where you can have your holiday any time of year and where people can pursue science and art without having to debate against creationists/people who think drawing a muhamed caricature should lead to your death
    Your idea of freedom through segregation sounds awfully familiar, for some reason...

Dot like there's no tomorrow.