Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I have nothing against Melania, she tries but many will just dismiss her as just another trophy wife. Which is a huuuuge difference from Michelle Obama, who showed how bright she was at an early age, successfully skipping second grade before entering a gifted program in sixth grade. She graduated from a magnet high school as salutatorian before going on to Princeton University and then Harvard Law. She is one of only three first ladies to have a graduate degree (Hillary Clinton also has a J.D., while Laura Bush has a Masters). It is also well known she writes her own speeches.
    Pretty much this. I mean half the time it looks like Melania doesn't even know what she's saying. It's pretty much the Slovakian version of Shakira.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dholland662 View Post
    lol that is a fake tweet you know. It doesnt have twitter font. Very obvious dupe.
    Yeah hence why the edit. Doesn't change the fact she blatantly copied lines and them claimed she wrote it herself.

Lol she's Slovenian not slovakian.

No, 3 sentences out of a 17 minute speech are similar. Not a lot.

Why is this 31 pages?
    Because it is a big deal. Plagiarism has launched investigations and ruined political careers.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Biggest non-story since the Lewandowski assault

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Biggest non-story since the Lewandowski assault
    Only if you are a Trump supporter. Plagiarism has launched investigations and ruined political careers.

No, 3 sentences out of a 17 minute speech are similar. Not a lot.

Why is this 31 pages?
    You're right, it's not a big deal at all.

You should try it out if you make it to college.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Only if you are a Trump supporter. Plagiarism has launched investigations and ruined political careers.
    You mean like when Obama "plagiarized" a Bush speech back in 2014?
    Last edited by Stommped; 2016-07-19 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Biden paid for his mistake though... Literally didn't become president because of it.
    It's a good thing Melania isnt running for president then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    "But Biden did it too" really isn't a relevant rebuttal. It's technically possible it's just a coincidence, but that would be one hell of a coincidence. It's much more likely it was plagiarized. It's really just fucking funny that as much as these people hate Obama and, by extension, his wife, that the wife of a man who is encouraging that hate read the words of Michelle Obama to a Republican audience, which were likely then met with great approval as embodying the "real" spirit of America or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

I always do.
    I'm probably voting Trump, but I would have Obama in office another 4-8 years sooner than anyone this time around.

Also, gotta love the people who keep spewing the lies that he's encouraging hate. L O effing L. Don't you get tired of your hate speech against him?

I think you a wrong. Its nice you went to Faux News.

From Politifact.

Our ruling

Thiessen said that Obama had gone from blaming George W. Bush to plagiarizing him. Thiessen himself says he didn’t mean that Obama copied Bush; rather, that Obama took the theme of opportunity from Bush.

Even if Obama did emphasize a theme Republicans identify with, that in no way matches the popular, or legal, understanding of plagiarism. At PunditFact, we understand that words can be delivered for effect, but we also uphold the principle that words matter.

We rate this claim False.
    http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...george-w-bush/

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post

I think you a wrong. Its nice you went to Faux News.

From Politifact.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...george-w-bush/
    Case closed, the all mighty politifact has made the ruling.

I think people are looking at this from the wrong point of view. Internally this is a massive issue because there are people's who are only there to ensure prepared remarks like this are safe and free of issues. Clearly the writer who created and ok this speech failed miserably, even worse was the person who made the speech was in the political world a "noncombatant" .

If I was Manafort this weekend there is going to be a new speechwriter position available. Even if this was a Democrat I would want the head of the person who finalized these remarks because guess what the media ended up talking about today. Just for the record the speechwriter who wrote the Bush twins 2004 speech basically got fired on the spot for their raunchy pop-culture speech with Karl Rove remarking (paraphrasing) "Whoever wrote that speech I want them put on a boat to China" halfway through the speech.

7+ Year Old Account
    So you have information that's counter to what they posted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Only if by almighty you mean provider of factual information. It's a pretty thorough account provided for you.

Basic.

Not sure why people are blaming a speech writer, she said that she wrote it herself.
    Unfortunate for her, if she hadn't she could pass the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrysa View Post
    Not sure why people are blaming a speech writer, she said that she wrote it herself.
    Unfortunate for her, if she hadn't she could pass the blame.
    Even if she wrote it herself there is always someone to check it, especially if the person isn't involved in politics. I know Trump's inner campaign machine is a joke but I doubt its that much of a joke his senior aides would allow a nonpolitical figure go on live prime-time national tv without checking her remarks beforehand.
    Last edited by akris15; 2016-07-19 at 10:29 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Only if by almighty you mean provider of factual information. It's a pretty thorough account provided for you.

Basic.
    Except their interpretation is that plagiarism is a literal word by word exact copy, by that logic Melania did not plagiarize since they're holes in between the copies of sentences.

This happens all the time in politics, Elizabeth Dole back in 1996 said "His word is his bond," basically the same line used in Michelle Obama's speech in '08 (sub your for his). Speechwriters take fragments of prior speeches, splice them together and use it for the basic framework of a new speech. Her speechwriters just happened to leave a bit too much in from the previous speeches.

As I said initially, biggest non-story that will be forgotten in a week since Lewandowski.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you all think she popped in the tape from '08, was furiously writing and rewinding to make sure she captured every word, and just assumed no body would remember?

You say its a non-story but I promise you someone is going to lose their job over this.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    You say its a non-story but I promise you someone is going to lose their job over this.
    Well yeah maybe, but I mean non-story in terms of Nov. election implications.

Well yeah maybe, but I mean non-story in terms of Nov. election implications.
    Well yeah this is a short term embarrassment but this situation is putting a nonpolitican, worse his wife, in a very bad spot and basically made Day 1 a scrach because that is all the media is talking about. Honestly I would want that speechwriter's head just for putting a nonpolitican in a bad spot alone.