Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will my dream ever come true?

I dream of vanilla wow ported directly into unreal 4 game engine. Gameplay unchanged, just beautiful graphics, and without all the Facebook xmog cancer that has killed what was once the best game ever.

Am I being unrealistic?

Vanilla WoW sucked compared to today's WoW, and i am on of that 0.1% that went into Naxxramas and killed like 9 bosses in there, so yes, i did play that game as it was.

Get out of your nostalgia bubble.

What they need to do, is create a new engine at some point, release the next expansion as a standalone so it can have a logical size and time to make and not be 40GB just carry over the database of items/icons so people wont cry about their achievements and implement them slowly/whenever possible as they update stuff, which is probably impossible or the time required is something they simply wont do.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-07-19 at 10:51 PM.

Yes. You are. Also, there are enough other threads for this topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not just being unrealistic. You're also being completely silly. Your claim that 'Facebook xmog cancer' killed WoW.

1. Transmogs one of the most popular features, it's been overwhelmingly well received, NOT killed WoW
    2. Facebook feature is entirely optional and it's not forced upon you. Don't like it? Don't turn it on. Game remains the same. Why is an optional extra a bad thing when it's optional?
    3. If it's ported into the Unreal 4 engine then it's no longer WoW. How can you leave the gameplay unchanged when porting it to an entirely different engine?

The most BS reason I've heard that 'killed WoW' was when they moved dual wielding from lvl 20 down to... level 6 or 8 or something a few years back. People LOST THEIR MINDS.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are things I miss, there are more things that are just better now. I do really miss the old talent system. Weapon skills can stay dead forever.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Natrii View Post
    There are things I miss, there are more things that are just better now. I do really miss the old talent system. Weapon skills can stay dead forever.
    Don't think so. For you maybe stuff is better now. But loss of over 10 million subs says otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    You're not just being unrealistic. You're also being completely silly. Your claim that 'Facebook xmog cancer' killed WoW.

1. Transmogs one of the most popular features, it's been overwhelmingly well received, NOT killed WoW
    2. Facebook feature is entirely optional and it's not forced upon you. Don't like it? Don't turn it on. Game remains the same. Why is an optional extra a bad thing when it's optional?
    3. If it's ported into the Unreal 4 engine then it's no longer WoW. How can you leave the gameplay unchanged when porting it to an entirely different engine?

The most BS reason I've heard that 'killed WoW' was when they moved dual wielding from lvl 20 down to... level 6 or 8 or something a few years back. People LOST THEIR MINDS.
    Xmog can also be in the new vanilla wow, just not as silly as it is now. And you can have wow style graphics in unreal 4. They'll just look a lot better than the 2D stuff in the old world now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Vanilla WoW sucked compared to today's WoW, and i am on of that 0.1% that went into Naxxramas and killed like 9 bosses in there, so yes, i did play that game as it was.

What they need to do, is create a new engine at some point, release the next expansion as a standalone so it can have a logical size and time to make and not be 40GB just carry over the database of items/icons so people wont cry about their achievements and implement them slowly/whenever possible as they update stuff, which is probably impossible or the time required is something they simply wont do.
    Get out of your lazy casual bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Get out of your lazy casual bubble.
    Doesnt even make sense.

That's your opinion but the loss of 10 million subs tells us wow is not better now. And the popularity of Nostalrius also tells us people want vanilla wow, and only vanilla wow, no xpacs, xmog etc

Are we really back to talking about this? I think the whole Nostalrius thing people lost their minds about proved that your dream was dragged into an alleyway, shot, and finally buried in an unmarked grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
    I dream of vanilla wow ported directly into unreal 4 game engine. Gameplay unchanged, just beautiful graphics, and without all the Facebook xmog cancer that has killed what was once the best game ever.

Am I being unrealistic?
    What is a facebook xmog cancer exactly, and how did it " kill the best game ever"
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

That's your opinion but the loss of 10 million subs tells us wow is not better now. And the popularity of Nostalrius also tells us people want vanilla wow, and only vanilla wow, no xpacs, xmog etc
    No, it tell you that people are less intrested in games that take lot of time to play and much prefer mobile games, facebook games and games such as LoL or CS. Games where you can jump in, play for 30 min and be done for the day.

Oh, and WoW did not have 12 million subs during vanilla. That was during Wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone saying stuff about losing 10 million subs that could be tangled to the changes of the game... it has become alot better in the years following Vanilla.
    Nobody has sat down for a moment to think that the kids that played Vanilla are now grown ups and most of them have jobs and families.
    The gaming age has changed from an MMORPG-centric to a MOBA-centric. You can't blame the changes for the sub loses.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

I have to agree with POTIS, I mean imo - the reason I've loved WoW.. the feel of the game. If they totally redid the game, especially where it lost the entire feel.. Even if it looked beyond amazing.. it doesn't matter, I'd still hate it. I love the graphics updates myself, that way the game looks better each pre-patch, and everyones able to afford a computer that can play WoW. I have a buddy playing wow on a freaken SURFACE.. so you can play wow on ANYTHING, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefistophelis View Post
    Everyone saying stuff about losing 10 million subs that could be tangled to the changes of the game... it has become alot better in the years following Vanilla.
    Nobody has sat down for a moment to think that the kids that played Vanilla are now grown ups and most of them have jobs and families.
    The gaming age has changed from an MMORPG-centric to a MOBA-centric. You can't blame the changes for the sub loses.
    Why aren't new generations of kids joining wow then if wow has become better over the years as you put?

I showed my young brother wow and he said the graphics looked like garbage. He's used to GTA V graphics.

Kids today are spoilt with ultra realistic looking games, that WoW is a relic not worth their time.

Blizz needs to update WoW graphics to attract kids to wow like it did in 2004 when all my school friends played wow.

Wows subs are aging and soon people who play wow will be too old to play it, and at that point wow will dp be so old and no new kids today will want to play it. Actually I think that has already happened.
    Last edited by Greedy; 2016-07-19 at 11:24 PM.

Actually a loss of 10 million subs could mean almost anything... for instance not that WoW is worse, but that other games are better... or that MMOs are just fading away in general.

Also, it is not technically a loss of 10 million subs so much as it is a "net" loss. It could very well be that WoW lost 50 million people during the first three expansions (but it always gained more than it lost, so it was a net gain). It could also very well be that there have only been 10 million leave since Cata, but since fewer people are coming into the game, it represents a large net loss (despite having better retention than the first three expansions).

Basically, we don't have enough facts at our disposal to make a legitimate estimate - only just a wild stabbing guess.

And a large population on a free server is hardly an astonishing feat... make them pay 15 a month and then see how it pans out. I am sure a legacy server would be all the rage for about six months, then probably become a virtual dust bowl.
    Last edited by Wingspan; 2016-07-19 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why aren't new generations of kids joining wow then if wow has become better over the years as you put?

I showed my young brother wow and he said the graphics looked like garbage. He's used to GTA V graphics.

Kids today are spoilt with ultra realistic looking games, that WoW is a relic not worth their time.

Blizz needs to update WoW graphics to attract kids to wow like it did in 2004 when all my school friends played wow.

Wows subs are aging and soon people who play wow will be too old to play it, and at that point wow will dp be so old and no new kids today will want to play it. Actually I think that has already happened.
    We are in a new gaming age. If blizzard updated the graphics to like Unreal4 or whatever then it wouldn't be WOW. It loses that feeling.
    In the current age of gaming, people play mobas and shooters, games that don't need 100s of hours of investment. And despite the efforts Blizzard has done to make WoW appeal to people that have less time to spend, it's still not enough or it's being frowned upon by elitists and pseudo-elitists.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I think that like our friend above that killed 9 bosses in Vanilla Naxx said, it's best to take the glasses off. I never got to Naxx but I was playing the game right through vanilla to WOTLK without any breaks starting in February 2005.

I'll be honest; 21 year-old me saw it all. 21 year-old me didn't mind taking literal weeks to hit level 60 with the thrill of discovery fueling the experience. 21 year-old me didn't mind badly designed fetch quests sending him half way across the world for 2000xp because everything was new. 21 year-old me could sit in /Trade while in Ironforge spending an hour and a half waiting for a UBRS group to form. Me of 2005 could spend 12 hours at a stretch playing a fun but really badly designed quest system by today's standards.

33 year-old me in 2016 however has a full-time job and actual responsibilities. If I had a spare 12 hours I'd probably be doing something more productive with it than questing in WoW. Couple hours a night after work as a nice wind-down is all I want. I want that time to be well-spent. I suspect I'm not alone in WoW's current playerbase which explains the shift.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Am I being unrealistic?
    do to the fact your computer would die trying to render wow in that engine....no your dream wont come true.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.