Page 97 of 104 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Turkish government now removing several appointed officials from the education branch universities private owned or public. Estimated around 1500, any other form of opposition in every other branch of government is being demanded that they are removed from their position, since apparently everyone there is related to the coup.

Opposition removal especially teachers, deans and the like is what authoritarian regimes do to prevent anyone with the intellectual capacity to ever challenge them, if they do they end up missing, or in this case labelled as traitors.

Expect a brain drain in Turkey to take place, this coup is turning out to be the perfect excuse for the AKP to really install their rule by any means necessary. It would not surprise me if the death penalty is re-introduced soon and everyone even remotely linked to this coup.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think he means whoever comes after Erdogan
    That won't happen anytime soon, he's there to stay for a long time it seems.

@Ulmita I asked you this in a previous topic. I wanted you to show turkish military bases on those island you claim INVADED by turkish soldiers. Please show those pictures. Bozcaada (Tenedos) and Gokceada (Imbros) are the two island where Turkish army has two bases as they are Turkish islands. . I am from Canakkale. I worked in both islands for 2 years. Bozcaada has just a small commando base and Gokceada has a small airbase. that is it. Instead of spewing bullshit show actual proof that there are turkish soldiers on bases on those Greek Islands. I will be waiting. You can fool the people of Europe but you can't fool me with pictures taken in Bozcada and Gokceada.

"it has invaded half a EU nation". Pics or fuck off kindly.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Reeve it was islamist. those people are all from gulen group. which is islamist.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Turkish government now removing several appointed officials from the education branch universities private owned or public. Estimated around 1500, any other form of opposition in every other branch of government is being demanded that they are removed from their position, since apparently everyone there is related to the coup.

Opposition removal especially teachers, deans and the like is what authoritarian regimes do to prevent anyone with the intellectual capacity to ever challenge them, if they do they end up missing, or in this case labelled as traitors.

Expect a brain drain in Turkey to take place, this coup is turning out to be the perfect excuse for the AKP to really install their rule by any means necessary. It would not surprise me if the death penalty is re-introduced soon and everyone even remotely linked to this coup.
    I will use Islamist/Cemaatist/Gulenist interchangeably.

Teachers are guaranteed to be Islamists. Their syndicate is a well-known Gulenist/Cemaatist one. That's actually how they created the list so fast. They used the members of that syndicate as a draft. Kemalists officers who were expelled/kicked by Cemaatist officers/prosecutors saying that 60% of the army is Cemaatists. These expelled officers are former Major Generals, special army attorneys responsible for cleaning the army from Cemaat, so they know the Cemaatists among the army moderately well.

I can't speak for the suspensions in the legal system or academia but I am almost sure about the teachers and army. What you should expect is not "brain power" but bunch of Islamist fucks. You should open your doors to these highly-educated democracy envoys. Turkey would probably ship them to you if you are so eager.

- - - Updated - - -

How do we know it was Islamist and not secularist?
    Before Islamists took the army, there was an extensive case searching them in the army. Then, they took control with the help of AKP and kicked all Kemalist Pashas. Now, the same people are telling that this coup was conducted by Islamists. Today an ex army attorney commented on the arrestee list for the army and he said "these names are in parallel with the names I found out when I was in the army" or something along those lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by calimmacil View Post
    With the treaty of Lausanne Turkey ceded the rights to all islands and islets in the Dodecanese area (article15) under Italian occupation to them (that after WWII Italy gave to Greece) or further that 3 miles from their coast (article 12) and to all the islands in the northern Aegean, that Greece had taken from them in the Balkan wars earlier, besides Bozcaada and Gökçeada (article 12).

So no, there is no invasion or occupation. Its is just some nonsense (much like what today is Megali Idea for Greeks) that nationalists in Turkey shout to stir up their followers (MHP party in particular).
    I haven't bothered to conduct a legal research. It could be that case, but Turkey didn't let go all islands with Lausanne, we kept some. Either way, I don't give a flying damn. It's so minor problem these days that not even MHP gives a fuck, but that issue will have the attention of Turkish government sooner or later.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-07-20 at 01:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    @Reeve it was islamist. those people are all from gulen group. which is islamist.
    I dunno about that. From what I've read, the Gulen movement (Hizmet or Cemaat) is a liberal movement more about secularism, science, democracy, interfaith dialogue, etc. That doesn't sound very Islamist to me.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I dunno about that. From what I've read, the Gulen movement (Hizmet or Cemaat) is a liberal movement more about secularism, science, democracy, interfaith dialogue, etc. That doesn't sound very Islamist to me.
    /facepalm

And ISIS is a LGBT movement.

@Reeve oh yeah thats what the guardian said. I am a person who went to their "houses" for three years when I was in middle school. 3 years of systematic brainwashing they tried. First years it was all fun and games. THey got me from the street by the promises of unlimited "half-life" and "starcraft" play. I am serious. 2nd year was a little mix of religion talk. It didn't bother me as I was curious about religion. 3rd year however everything changed. I started to read books which "I was made promise to not mention to anybody". I wasn't allowed to enter any other rooms in the house. I started to see strong criticism and assault on Ataturk's values. The last thing however was when I read a book about "Said Nursi", when according to the book "Ataturk invites him to parliment in Ankara" but he refuses saying "I don't fight behind the lines like you!" . That is when I said fuck you you fucking twat! what have you done in the turkish independence fight? nothing. I threw the book the my "big brother" and said I am done with your bullshit. Never ever stepped into those houses or talked with those people. They are everywhere. they have houses, dormitories, cram schools, private schools. They use systematic ways. I admit I had met great people there but rotten ones were far more. They especially target poor families children as they are more susceptible for religion and in need of assistance.

-----big update----
    @Reeve its their way of portraying themselves. Secular, mild. Especially their cram schools always had promised to have their students pass the university entrance exams and at the university level, pass the exam for being goverment official, teacher etc. They had been stealing questions and distributing it to their students. Thus they are every where in our education system.

Back in those days the army, if found you were a student in gulen groups cram schools, or houses, or any relation with them, would (try) prevent you from being in military. That changed after Akp. And it again changed after akp waged war on gulen group.
    Last edited by Gref; 2016-07-20 at 01:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I was right?!?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    @Reeve oh yeah thats what the guardian said. I am a person who went to their "houses" for three years when I was in middle school. 3 years of systematic brainwashing they tried. First years it was all fun and games. THey got me from the street by the promises of unlimited "half-life" and "starcraft" play. I am serious. 2nd year was a little mix of religion talk. It didn't bother me as I was curious about religion. 3rd year however everything changed. I started to read books which "I was made promise to not mention to anybody". I wasn't allowed to enter any other rooms in the house. I started to see strong criticism and assault on Ataturk's values. The last thing however was when I read a book about "Said Nursi", when according to the book "Ataturk invites him to parliment in Ankara" but he refuses saying "I don't fight behind the lines like you!" . That is when I said fuck you you fucking twat! what have you done in the turkish independence fight? nothing. I threw the book the my "big brother" and said I am done with your bullshit. Never ever stepped into those houses or talked with those people. They are everywhere. they have houses, dormitories, cram schools, private schools. They use systematic ways. I admit I had met great people there but rotten ones were far more. They especially target poor families children as they are more susceptible for religion and in need of assistance.

its their way of portraying themselves. Secular, mild. Especially their cram schools always had promised to have their students pass the university entrance exams and at the university level, pass the exam for being goverment official, teacher etc. They had been stealing questions and distributing it to their students. Thus they are every where in our education system.
    If they are in fact Islamist, their wikipedia page should really be updated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%BClen_movement

@Reeve and they will change it again in a day but no worries. Akp will take a look at that later as well when it has some spare time.

Entire Turkey is now convinced that this coup has something to do with USA . People claim this is "beyond" Gulen's capability. Considering in '60 and '80 coups, CIA played a central role (admitted by the coup perpetrators, for the 1980 coup, you should search "our boys did it"). Sounds crazy but who knows, maybe USA is tired of Erdogan?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Entire Turkey is now convinced that this coup has something to do with USA . People claim this is "beyond" Gulen's capability. Considering in '60 and '80 coups, CIA played a central role (admitted by the coup perpetrators, for the 1980 coup, you should search "our boys did it"). Sounds crazy but who knows, maybe USA is tired of Erdogan?
    Obama came out in support of Erdogan before the coup was even over, so I doubt that. Besides, the last thing the US needs is an unstable Turkey.

The entire world is convinced that any time any major event happens anywhere in the world, especially if it's bad, that the US is behind it.

The entire world is convinced that any time any major event happens anywhere in the world, especially if it's bad, that the US is behind it.
    Well, I can't really oppose that. Anytime something happens here, it's always USA.

@Reeve Since Gulen lives in USA and is not returned back to Turkey, people are getting more and more suspicious. Erdogan uses this event to publicly announce that USA is not giving Gulen. So people start believing slowly that USA has a finger in it. But really after these I don't think USA can keep him forever. In todays news I could already see a change of tone form the USA. Saying, there is no official request we have received etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Reeve Since Gulen lives in USA and is not returned back to Turkey, people are getting more and more suspicious. Erdogan uses this event to publicly announce that USA is not giving Gulen. So people start believing slowly that USA has a finger in it. But really after these I don't think USA can keep him forever. In todays news I could already see a change of tone form the USA. Saying, there is no official request we have received etc.
    Of course the US isn't going to extradite him if Turkey doesn't provide proof that he was involved. And the burden of proof is on Turkey, and "well all the people involved were supporters of his movement" isn't enough to prove criminal behavior.

@Reeve "we" understand that. Tell it to the other %50 of Turkey... Erdogan really is not a threat. but his fanatics are. His fanatics are giving him all the right to mess around and spew bullshit. That %50 will never ever accept what you say.

So, it was a good thing for secularists/kemalists that the coup failed?

10+ Year Old Account
    @Reeve "we" understand that. Tell it to the other %50 of Turkey... Erdogan really is not a threat. but his fanatics are. His fanatics are giving him all the right to mess around and spew bullshit. That %50 will never ever accept what you say.
    I appreciate all the insight from you all in Turkey by the way. I hope you understand that I'm not arguing with you all. I just want to understand the situation better. Hope you guys get it sorted out without (my fear) turning into an Erdogani Islamist Dictatorship.

@Reeve We understand you are not arguing. I am happy that somebody tries to understand what is happening. Usually it is just bash turkey for whatever reason. Erdogan is shit. He and his men are rotten to the core. He will do whatever he takes to destroy a wonderful country. It took 12 years for them to fuck this much shit up.

This was an fm radio advertising on TVs back before akp ruled.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeJW9lJKaQ0

now i can't even imagine something like this add happening. zealots would blow that fm in to air.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Reeve We understand you are not arguing. I am happy that somebody tries to understand what is happening. Usually it is just bash turkey for whatever reason. Erdogan is shit. He and his men are rotten to the core. He will do whatever he takes to destroy a wonderful country. It took 12 years for them to fuck this much shit up.

This was an fm radio advertising on TVs back before akp ruled.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeJW9lJKaQ0

now i can't even imagine something like this add happening. zealots would blow that fm in to air.
    Because of the alcohol? (I ask as I sip my red wine)