Quote Originally Posted by adt1980 View Post
    its still in cinemas, so we dont know profits/losses yet?
    It's very nearly done in theaters. The total box office will probably not increase more than about 1% from what it is now.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

So the movie is at this point pretty much done, what is the final verdict
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    I think it was a good groundwork movie Setting the tone for future content and movies. I thought they did a good job with the Orcs ( even better then the Humans IMO )

I look forward to watching more and I am not bothered by the critics that never played Warcraft that don't " get it "

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Either lost money or barely broke even.

A waste of investment and time.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Either lost money or barely broke even.

A waste of investment and time.
    Movie based on a video game. Never been a good one. Never will be a good one.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiphess View Post
    even thought the movie was actually really good (it has something like 83-85% audience score out of ~50k review last time i checked), it didn't break even in the end, so i sadly it is a flop :/
    It only flopped in the US (and the only reasonable explanation is that marketing was shit there and people are sheep who blindly listen to critics who trashed the movie before it was out on NA screens). Pretty much everywhere else in the world, Warcraft was #1-3 among this year's film releases.
    I enjoyed the movie, every single one of my friends enjoyed the movie (and some of them didn't even play Warcraft but they came to me and asked questions about Warcraft universe since movie made them interested), and I haven't heard much complaining about it except for the funky pacing during first 30 mins.

The movie made only $160 outside of China, that is a bad result for a movie with such a budget. Worse than Pacific Rim, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethora View Post
    It only flopped in the US (and the only reasonable explanation is that marketing was shit there and people are sheep who blindly listen to critics who trashed the movie before it was out on NA screens). Pretty much everywhere else in the world, Warcraft was #1-3 among this year's film releases.
    Currently Warcraft is #7 in total foreign box office for this year.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I enjoyed the movie, every single one of my friends enjoyed the movie (and some of them didn't even play Warcraft but they came to me and asked questions about Warcraft universe since movie made them interested), and I haven't heard much complaining about it except for the funky pacing during first 30 mins.
    not saying it wasnt a success, it was a p big one yes, but it didn't break even in the end, so regardless of whether people like it or not, it's a flop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The movie made only $160 outside of China, that is a bad result for a movie with such a budget. Worse than Pacific Rim, for example.
    But in the same Range as Batman:Begins. Other thing to consider is that the international overall numbers haven't been updated this week. It's at 385.2 since the 10th of july so there's some money missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    Movie based on a video game. Never been a good one. Never will be a good one.
    I think warcraft had the possibility to be much better than the pitifully average "B" movie we got.

Of all the problems Warcraft had, the biggest problem I saw was they blew their wad on CGI orcs doing whatever they could to break some general viewer orc stereotype at the detriment to nearly the rest of the movie (story, acting, pacing, settings, scenary etc...)

They were hell bent on that metzen orc love fest agenda and screwed the movie up.

Well it did flop in Japan too. Not to mention the USA for most movies with Western budgets is where you need to be sucessful, because they can make up to 40% of total box office numbers. Now if Blizzard has used Chinese budgets (yes chinese movie budgets are normally 1/2 (2/3) the amount US budgets are) the movie would be in the green.

Im sure blizzard is think over a sequel and will anounce it at blizcon, but for them to do that, instead of anouncing it now. Investors must not be happy, becauae Sony already anounce there will be a ghostbuster 2.
    Last edited by Kioshi; 2016-07-20 at 02:12 PM.

I hate players that suck at WoW, But I also hate wanna be elitist who barely down normal raid and said that the game is too easy...... yea show me you mythic achivement before you say its too easy otherwise move along scum, because I heard wildstar need you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Well it did flop in Japan too.
    It was only a limited release there with 34 cinemas there, with that in mind those numbers aren't a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
    Im sure blizzard is think over a sequel and will anounce it at blizcon, but for them to do that, instead of anouncing it now. Investors must not be happy, becauae Sony already anounce there will be a ghostbuster 2.
    Well Ghostbusters is another kind of beast there. They have heavily invested in infrastructure for sequels before the film was even released and it's used as a kind of marketing ploy.
    I recommend seeing the Midnight's Edge video on that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3szgwthkcIs

Edit.:
    With the first international Numbers coming in for Ghostbusters it's highly unlikely that this film will make more internationally than Warcraft. It had a lower start in almost every country it was released as of now and there's no China for this film.
    So it will have to make a killing in the US to even break even and it's doubtful that will happen.
    Last edited by Plehnard; 2016-07-21 at 12:57 AM.

I thought the movie was good, definitely made for fans and not critics.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    It was only a limited release there with 34 cinemas there, with that in mind those numbers aren't a shocker.
    They had 70% drop in the second week, so number of screens doesn't play a role.

If a big budget blockbuster like Warcraft couldn't get a wide release in Japan, it means that Toho-Towa, the Japanese distributor of the film, didn't want to take a risk. They didn't give it a chance because they knew they would be in the red if they spent big money to give it a wide release. I guess they were right.
    Last edited by Gzo; 2016-07-21 at 01:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gzo View Post
    If a big budget blockbuster like Warcraft couldn't get a wide release in Japan, it means that Toho-Towa, the Japanese distributor of the film, didn't want to take a risk. They didn't give it a chance because they knew they would be in the red if they spent big money to give it a wide release. I guess they were right.
    Well they had the opportunity that weekend because it was the same weekend as the Alice film, which got less viewers on average and did suffer internationally as well.
    But yeah, PC gaming in japan is near to non-existent and therefore Warcraft as well. Too much of a risk.

Toho-Towa have a big film market, South Korea, right next to them where they can look at to measure if it's ok to give it a wide release in Japan.

In South Korea, WOW is one of the most well known & successful games and yet Warcraft bombed so hard in there. A total of 1,156,825 people watched the film. It's a really huge flop considering 3 million attendance for a big budget Hollywood movie is a failure in SK. So, Toho-Towa made a right decision not to go for a wide release.

Watching Warcraft's second weekend drop at Japan box office, Toho-Towa must be satisfied with their decision.
    Last edited by Gzo; 2016-07-21 at 02:49 AM.

Today, Hollywood standards, are pretty shit. They used to make good movies, but now its all about grabbing everyones money, and spit on the viewers.

They don't give a shit about any of you. All they want is to fool you for your money. Hollywood is trash.

It only flopped in the USA because people there somehow blindly believe what critics have to say, regardless of the well known fact, that even critics opinion is subjective. In the end, movie can have it's flaws and still be very enjoyable. You should have your own mind and your own opinion.

I watched the movie with people who's only WarCraft experience is seeing me playing WarCraft III or World of WarCraft from time to time + they (and me) play Hearthstone from time to time just for a few minutes and we all really enjoyed the movie, gave it solid 7.5/10 We hope to see more movies. For instance, well done Arthas/Illidan movie should be awesome
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-21 at 02:52 AM.