Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I remember back in the day before game developers started catering towards crybabies and making sure everyone had their own safespace, if you were annoyed with someone or didn't like what they were saying, you would just ignore them - via ingame option or just, you know, ignoring them.

I honestly kind of hate what is happening with society these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTitan1937 View Post
    Right. Because having 39 people reporting you in under a minute totally proves that the system is bad. If this new system didn't have an "Ok if this guy has been reported by 39 DIFFERENT people in under a minute he's definently doing something wrong" it'd be to slow and wouldn't even impact the game. What he COULD have done was approaching the issue like a real trade chat abuser would and spout profanities in trade chat until enough people had reported him. Probably wouldn't have changed the result but he's still being idiotic about his way of "testing".
    Blizzard- "The silence feature won't be automated. You will only be silenced after an investigation."

And it turns out it's automated. No investigation required to be silenced. That's the issue. Now please stop hugging Blizzard's nuts and start thinking for yourself.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Because if enough people want to fuck with others, all they have to do is report you. Whether you said "fuck" or didn't even say anything bad, you'll still get silenced.
    Before this new system you could have gotten silenced to if enough people reported you.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    I told someone to kill themselves and got silenced.

THE INJUSTICE.
    You can't be serious?

And no, no silence penalty for me, as I don't really go all brawn and brute to write something.. I have though, reported a good bit.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Blizzard will investigate cases and determine whether or not the reports were legitimate or abusive.
    No, they won't, that's a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    So why do they have the new system then? If enough reports already did what the new system should be doing?
    To roast repeat offenders, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Because what Asmongold did in his video depicting the fact this silence system is automatic was totally him being a dick...oh wait, he wasn't.
    To be accurate, the fact that it is automatic does not mean that penalties are not reviewed, particularly as it relates to the escalating nature.

That is, in fact, how you want such a system to work. If you get dozens of reports on a single player in a very short period of time, it's far better to err on the side of caution and drop a silence on him instead of waiting for a GM to be available to review the chat logs and make a decision. Making your system smart enough to recognize how many reports are coming in in a short period of time and acting to minimize harm is good design, especially when a false positive isn't a huge deal.

Now whether or not they ever do the reviews they claim to do, I don't know.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by Twistedelmo View Post
    I understand that part, but lets just say i want to be a dick and spam everyone in trade for spam or try to get crowd to mob report someone because for whatever reason.

Would I receive punishment? or would i just simply not be allowed to report someone.
    Nothing will happen. If nobody else plays the same silence trick on you, you will simply walk away. They can't punish you, because they don't have the resources to find you, period.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Before this new system you could have gotten silenced to if enough people reported you.
    Yes but I doubt the silence was 24 hours long and doubling in length each time it get's trigger like it is now.

So what 30 people can report you until you have 1+ years worth of silence? Nice!

Going with the assumption that 20 reports triggers the system:

20 - 24H
    40 - 48H
    60 - 96H
    80 - 192H
    100 - 16D
    120 - 32D
    140 - 64D
    160 - 4 Months
    180 - 8 Months
    200 - 16 Months
    220 - 32 Months

So a community with 220 players could silence people for 1 1/2 years just because. And when people get the e-mail saying: 32 Months of silence... they LEAVE the game for good, doesn't matter if 2 days later a GM removed the silence. People will get pissed off

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    With the old system you got banned, not silenced. That's not important though.

What I mean is, you would get warnings in the past before getting banned. I always got one warning before I got banned, always. Now they just automatically silence you for 24 hours (it goes up each time) without investigation because it's actually automated. So now you could get reported by a certain amount of people and without proper investigation or a warning you get silenced for 24 hours.

To answer the actual OP, I'm not silenced and haven't been. I never really spend time talking in trade chat, I usually just read it.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2016-07-20 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    Asmongold did it as a test, and will probably be un-silenced after a ticket.
    The system is nice, and hopefully people that abuse it will see severe punishment.
    It just proved what we expected namely that it is automated and that it is ripe for abuse.

So a community with 220 players could silence people for 1 1/2 years just because. And when people get the e-mail saying: 32 Months of silence... they LEAVE the game for good, doesn't matter if 2 days later a GM removed the silence. People will get pissed off
    If they are not smart or mature enough to go contact a GM then I am more then happy to see them gone.

Sorry but I am all for this system, even if a few innocence people get hit. You can get a hold of a GM within 30mins using the live chat.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    To be accurate, the fact that it is automatic does not mean that penalties are not reviewed, particularly as it relates to the escalating nature.

That is, in fact, how you want such a system to work. If you get dozens of reports on a single player in a very short period of time, it's far better to err on the side of caution and drop a silence on him instead of waiting for a GM to be available to review the chat logs and make a decision. Making your system smart enough to recognize how many reports are coming in in a short period of time and acting to minimize harm is good design, especially when a false positive isn't a huge deal.

No, that's not how it needs to work, because it's going off of the premise of "guilty before proven innocent" when you get silenced asap and may or may not be unsilenced pending GM approval. That's how blue posts on the subject stated it would work, that the review would occur before any penalties were doled out.

I mean damn, if someone's truly being an obnoxious dick in game, right click, ignore, then report them and carry on. Worst case, they don't get silenced, but the player never has to hear any of their shit again regardless. The last thing this game (or any game with a level of social interaction among players) needs is automated censorship nonsense like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post

False positive is a major deal, since with the automatic feature in place. it is so ripe for abuse it is honestly shocking how they can let a system like that go live.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Blizzard will investigate cases and determine whether or not the reports were legitimate or abusive.

Not true since the system have been proven to be automatic robot doing the decision

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If they are not smart or mature enough to go contact a GM then I am more then happy to see them gone.

Sorry but I am all for this system, even if a few innocence people get hit. You can get a hold of a GM within 30mins using the live chat.
    Yes I can report to a GM and get one in 10 minutes or after 48 hours....

And it will not be "a few" innocence people, it will be a truckload of people who get hit for nothing.

Yes I can report to a GM and get one in 10 minutes or after 48 hours....

And it will not be "a few" innocence people, it will be a truckload of people who get hit for nothing.
    Ummm go to the website contact a GM, It takes at most 30mins. If they see you was false reported then the report on you will be removed and those who spammed it will be punished.

Is that so hard to do?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Sixnalia View Post
    Asmon addressed the squelch possibility.
    Asmon wrote about it and he ultimately received an email stating he had been silenced for the duration. He checked to confirm if that was new or not, and it seems to be. So he was hit with a silence penalty most likely.

Here's his long post about it all:
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sots72
    Oh neat! Thanks for the context!
    This still reads like a pretty extreme case though. I won't defend Blizzard handling this final judgement automatically, but I won't dismiss that this was literally the first day of the patch, and with new systems comes tuning and reiteration.
    Also, I'm on the skeptical side that there is an immediate threat of players brigading others into silence just for kicks. It's a non-zero threat, but carrying on about this reads like fear mongering.

I stand by the opinion that the average player isn't going to notice a thing. A player who thrives on drama though, is a different story.

Edit:
    Adding to this, we don't know if *repeated* offenses are flagged differently and are then taken off of automated review. In short, keep calm and quit being a dick.
    Last edited by SoulSoBreezy; 2016-07-20 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    I told someone to kill themselves and got silenced.

THE INJUSTICE.
    Yep, you got silenced.

You also got what you deserved.

I don't see a problem here.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Deleted
    Ummm go to the website contact a GM, It takes at most 30mins. If they see you was false reported then the report on you will be removed and those who spammed it will be punished.

Is that so hard to do?
    Maybe for you it takes 30 minutes, I know people who waited up to 12 hours.
    Yes they shitty system doesn't work so they have to the same amount of work they had to do, if they did it the manual way... GREAT isn't it...
    Nobody will be "punished" for false reporting. At least nothing like that has ever been mentioned.

I'm for a system that works on "innocent until proven guilty" instead of "guilty until proven innocent".

Is that so hard to do?
    If it were so easy to get ahold of a GM, then why aren't they right on top of these reports/ticket/whatever that are generated whenever people get spam reported like this so it can be checked on right then to verify if action needs to be taken or if it's a group of folks being asshats towards someone, rather than it being as-is where once a report threshold is met, boom, silenced.