Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Elemental constantly getting wrecked Legion questing

I posted this on the official forums too, but am posting here to hopefully get a response.

I've only leveled the elemental shaman to 110 in beta so far, but it feels like I spend most of my time casting healing surge on myself. I use stun totem, earth elemental, astral shift, frost shock/thunderstorm combo almost off cd and still feel like I'm barely surviving many quest mob fights. Anyone else feel this way? Is it an ele thing or everyone thing?

Deleted
    Yes this is normal for Ele if you are leveling with a beta trial character. Found myself getting almost killed every time you pull more than a couple mobs but mobs hit alot harder in Legion than previous expansions, it gets worse aswell for the beginning of lvl 110 until you get some decent gear then they can handle themselves pretty well even with large groups.

It's actually currently easier to quest as Enh and upgrade your Ele artifact if you want to play Ele at max level but can't be bothered to level as it.

Edit: typo

Ah ok. I'm resto spec main, but ele for questing. I'll try doing enhance then. Thanks.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's an ele thing dude.

Working as intended sadlly. Would be nice to not have to struggle as ele for a change.

Sadly Ele is just a spec with no real passive sustain, no real passive CC, and has a dependency on hard casting with minimal mobility. It works in raids where you can work around turret windows and cooldowns but questing just feels blah. You just have to stand there and get punched in the face while you turret cast, get your additional cast time penalty for being hit, and sometimes have to clip your casts to run a bunch to avoid taking even more damage from enemies. Meanwhile, Hunters and Warlocks have passive tanks, Balance has Owlkin Frenzy and Restoration Attunement, Shadow Priests have passive healing, and Mages just annihilate things in a few bursts of casts or CC them long enough to take minimal damage.

Leveling as Ele at an expansion launch has NEVER been fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    Despite the fact Elemental is ranged it feels like every fight starts in melee when you open with FS->LvB,
    it gives your target 2,5-3sec to get closer before your first LvB hits. Which brings us to armor reduction...

My live 743 shaman have 42.15% physical damage reduction from armor, add another 10% reduction from the glyph of lightning shield.
    Same gear on beta and no glyph 42,06. While my level 110 ilvl 844 have much less, 32.25%. About 20% difference...

When leveling i also feel forced to pick Gust of wind to save myself every time i pull 2 or more i need to get out from melee and heal myself. Because surge can barley outheal 2mobs outside of Astral Shift. After 5 crappy surges(8-9sec) you are oom and have done a stunning amount of 4ticks of FS to your enemy.

I had enough of Ele, tried Enha and found it easier doing world quests with a rank1 750 Doomhammer then a rank 17, 850 Fist of Ra-den.
    Mobs died quicker and had less time to hit you so less need for healing plus your cleave was stronger or at least more or less in the rotation.
    Enha can rotate instant surges with doing dmg while building more maelstorm for instant heals. Not to mention how lovley Elemental Healing on Doomhammer is once you get it. 30% HP over 15sec when you use Astral Shift.

Earth Elemental is crap and is only usable if you flee cuz it cant hold aggro.

Making Lightning Surge/Earthgrab Totem talents and only letting us having one of them dont feel rewarding at all when we had all before.

Lowering the CD on Hex was usefull and making Astral shift baseline and buffing it to 8sec was nice though. But it dont make up for what they removed.

-10% armor reduction
    -Spiritwalker's grace, 15sec/2min or 8sec/1min CD
    -Glyph of Lightning Shield, 10% dmg reduction
    -Shammanistic Rage, 30% dmg reduction 15sec/1min CD
    -Healing Stream Totem, roughly 15% of my health
    -Glyph of Flame Shock, crap but for levling i want it back...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I went straight to Enhance from the get go did get the Ele artifact, but Ele for questing and world quests I found terrible as it was too slow.. On the other hand enhance even after the changes in the latest build still wrecks mobs..

On PTR, with my epic gear but against the Tanan elites (not normal mobs), I'd Frost Shock after my first Lava Burst. Frost Shocking again immediately after knocking the target away with Thunderstorm was also priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    get your additional cast time penalty for being hit
    I'm not saying you don't have a point about ele leveling being very unfun, but to comment on a .2 second cast time penalty lets me know 100% you never played this game in Vanilla or TBC. I have seen a 1.5 second cast take damn near 10 seconds before. Took them a whole expansion to realize how broken that was.

Quote Originally Posted by spookyspooky View Post
    I posted this on the official forums too, but am posting here to hopefully get a response.

I've only leveled the elemental shaman to 110 in beta so far, but it feels like I spend most of my time casting healing surge on myself. I use stun totem, earth elemental, astral shift, frost shock/thunderstorm combo almost off cd and still feel like I'm barely surviving many quest mob fights. Anyone else feel this way? Is it an ele thing or everyone thing?
    I'm pretty sure at this stage of the beta you may have a bad talent setup because I've leveled multiple shamans to 110 mostly elemental (had 1 enhancement) and I don't think I've ever had issues with questing; either leveling or world quests. I will agree that until you get power of the maelstorm enhancement does clear faster but I wouldn't go as far as to say they have a huge advantage.

Some things I've noticed is AS yielded me better results while leveling the EoTE, also aftershock was really nice over EM. But these are just for making leveling easier, no claims that one does better dps than the other.

Also you can usually take a mob to at least half life before it gets to you so I'm not sure why there are a lot of face tanking comments here, but LB > FS > LvB for a quest mob is pretty decent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall it's really not as bad as some make it out to be, it's a little dodgy when you start fresh with the green template gear, but it picks up rapidly after getting some quest rewards and procs.
    A) it won't feel that way in your current WoD gear
    B) this affects most specs equally, with some notable exceptions (Havoc is predestined as the brainless soloing spec)
    Most DPS specs are intentionally built around using selfheals more while playing solo in low gear right now.

Quote Originally Posted by spookyspooky View Post

It's not just a shaman issue right now. There are a LOT of specs that are feeling the pinch of the defensive utility prune.

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    It's not just a shaman issue right now. There are a LOT of specs that are feeling the pinch of the defensive utility prune.
    I've died more on my Arcane Mage in Beta than I've died in any other expansion. Just soloing World Quests and trying to farm Ancient Magic in Suramar are a challenge unless you move very methodically. The combination of hard hitting mobs, a seemingly larger aggro radius, and relatively fast respawn timers have left me dead far more than I am used to.

My ret paladin has had no noticeable issues, it's much easier to play and if I accidentally aggro 2 more mobs it isn't a death sentence. My Holy Priest isn't 110 yet, so I can't really comment.

And I'll also state for the record that I greatly dislike the change of the Global cooldown from .5 seconds to .75 seconds. Seems like the mobs haven't slowed down, but all my actions have.

So I bet there are other specs out there that are struggling as well.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    In legion you need to basically forget the past. And restructure your talents and bars (elemental shaman ) it's so different now.. It's going to take some getting used to.. So think new and forget what you knew in previous expansions.. Cause it's a whole new ball game. Now.

Deleted
    Would be neat if you could proc instant healing surges. Like from maelstrom spent from earthshock. 1 maelstrom spent 1% chance of an instant heal.

Since the game is balanced seperately from pve/pvp one could just disable that in pvp.

How has the Ele Shaman been holding up so far in BETA? Should we throw in the towel and commit to Enhancement?

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomina View Post
    How has the Ele Shaman been holding up so far in BETA? Should we throw in the towel and commit to Enhancement?

Elemental is simming quite higher than Enhancement

Goddammit why are you unbanned

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart View Post
    Elemental is simming quite higher than Enhancement

Goddammit why are you unbanned
    I was never banned just on a on hiatus! I missed you too and thanks for the Ele feedback

Deleted
    Thus far I've levelled Priest to 110 (mix of holy/shadow), Hunter to 106 (mix of MM/SV), Warrior to 104 (prot only) and Shaman to 105 (mix of all 3 specs).

I'd rank them thus;

Speed.
    1. SV
    2. Enhance
    3. Shadow
    4. Prot
    5. Ele
    6. MM*
    7. Resto
    8. Holy

Survivability
    1. Prot
    2. Holy
    3. Resto
    4. SV
    5. Enhance
    6. Shadow
    7. MM*
    8. Ele

*MM was using Lone Wolf with Black Arrow for summoned tanking "pet".

It would seem that MM & Elemental, the 2 ranged specs I tested, both suffer (though Ele suffers more) from this.