Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Massive FPS issues with Particle Density. Bugged? Memory leak?

Hi guys,

I, as many others, am experiencing some massive FPS drops since the release of patch 7.0, but I might have found out what's causing the issue. Well, at least part of the issue.

Let's start off by saying I'm running NO addons and I'm on a clean install. New WTF, Cache and Interface folders.

I wanted to do ICC for some transmog items, when I noticed my FPS dropping immensely during certain fights. I tried to figure out what caused it. Lord Marrowgar caused the biggest drop. Also on Syndragosa, I noticed a big drop.

http://i.imgur.com/wkvBymd.jpg

When that screenshot was taken, the fight was already over. I got 44 FPS just moving the camera into Syndragosa's body. Now 44 FPS might not seem bad, but here is a screenshot of my FPS normally, also showing the settings I'm currently using.

http://i.imgur.com/ouxhqUo.jpg

250 without any issues with these settings.

Now, since I already killed Lord Marrowgar and didn't take any screenshots, I went on the PTR (same build) to try it again. And again, with the same settings, when I moved the camera into the blue fire, I got this.

http://i.imgur.com/GNTZ3Vt.jpg

15 FPS. On a 8-year old fight. Doing it solo. My FPS didn't even drop that low on my old laptop in 2008 when 25 people were attacking that boss.

My Particle Density setting is set to Fair. When I changed it to Low, my FPS during the Marrowgar fight increased only slightly. Between 20-30 when I moved the camera into the fire. Setting it to Good or High and my FPS dropped to below 10.

in WoD, I could have that setting on High without ANY issues. Is the setting bugged? Is there a memory leak? I've seen other people thinking the same thing. If you want, you should head to ICC to test it out for yourself.

Now, this isn't the only FPS issue people have. FPS seems to have dropped a lot overall, even without any outdated addons. But this option in particular is causing a massive drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    We did a guild run on Heroic HFC last night just to try out our new talents and specs, we lagged many times and my frame rate dropped from normal 90+ to < 30, I hope they fix it soon, I don't plan to upgrade my i7 4790K and GTX 970 I upgraded to last year any time soon.

I've been getting the same drops as you guys. Going from 80 to 25 from the fiery death effects on the trash before Alysrazor with Particle Density set to Good. Hopefully this gets fixed.

There is also an issue with the liquid details. Noticed that changing the setting to Low takes away a lot of GPU stress. Overall the new rendering tech is causing a lot of problems while there is no visible difference. Wish we had the option that allows us to turn it off and use the 6.2.4 one.

Deleted
    Having issues with that as well with my two crossfire r9 390s nitro sapphire ( got i7 6700k with 16 GB Corsair 3000 Mhz and a MSI Gaming M5 motherboard )... before i had over 100-190 fps ( depending on the zone ofc ) on ultra settings but now its like below 50-60 fps.... on Talador i get to 8-13 fps near shattrath when im moving... i couldnt even finish my garrison quest due of the lag problem....

Having some issues as well.

In Shadowmoon Valley (Dreanor) while standing still I can hold my usual 50-60fps. Once I move....it'll drop down to like 9fps.

So far it seems to be the only zone effected but I've only tested a couple thus far.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    Hi guys,

I, as many others, am experiencing some massive FPS drops since the release of patch 7.0, but I might have found out what's causing the issue. Well, at least part of the issue.

Let's start off by saying I'm running NO addons and I'm on a clean install. New WTF, Cache and Interface folders.
    Did you submit a bug report and post it on the forum to bring it to their attention? It sounds interesting and could be the issue. In the beta my fps doesn't drop so it might be something that bugged in the prepatch. On Beta I can go Ultra 10 and be fine on fps on live I have to stay at 7 (where I was on old version) and it dips up and down. My roomate who has a slightly better gpu than me was getting worse fps and we had same settings. So something is definitely going on. We even double checked everything, wiped the game out and reinstall and nothing.

Noticed this too, and since my PC is old and shitty I had to decrease the graphics even more than before this patch. Pretty much have everything on 1 now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Having some issues as well.

In Shadowmoon Valley (Dreanor) while standing still I can hold my usual 50-60fps. Once I move....it'll drop down to like 9fps.

So far it seems to be the only zone effected but I've only tested a couple thus far.
    I got exactly same problem. 100+ fps when staying still, 30 fps when flying around. Turns out it was NPCscan addon for me. Minimap overlay or something was the suspect. I updated all of my addons but i can't remember if that one had update. Naturally "old" addons will destroy your fps.

OK I think I figured it out.

It appears to be an issue with addons. I disabled every addon on a character, and I instantly had my FPS stabilize. Now I need to go through one by one and find the culprit.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaannnd Skeletroll beat me to the punch XD
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    You guys should probably report this to the Blizzard tech support forums or contact BlizzardCS..
    I'm sure Araxom will probably read this at some point, but I guess launch dates might be busy time for CS ... :-)

See http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41380883

Just tested it, and it's NPCScan for me as well.

report it to blizz. as more ppl report as sooner its gonna fixed. simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    report it to blizz. as more ppl report as sooner its gonna fixed. simple as that.
    It appears to be Addon related, in which case it's not Blizzards issue but rather the Addons developer to update to work properly with 7.0.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have all you individuals having FPS issues gone into your video settings and looked at them? I had shadows, water, ssao and sunshafts set to low and they were all put on the highest setting after the patch. Ultra shadows for example brings my system to its knees.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Just tested it, and it's NPCScan for me as well.
    I don't even have that addon so that issue wasn't it. There was one addon that dropped me from 70 to 30fps, but even after all addons are gone frame rate is somewhat unstable.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm getting a slow FPS drop the longer I run the game. Something seems to be broken, probably a memory leak.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've actually seen an increase in FPS, IDK.

Deleted
    Hey guys, thanks for all your replies.

Yes, I've reported it. On both the PTR, the beta and Live. Don't know what they check first. :P

And to everyone who mentioned addons: yes, that's also a cause for some FPS drops. But it's not the FPS drop I'm talking about here. As you can see in my initial post, I'm not using any addons. This specific problem is not related to addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for all your replies.

Yes, I've reported it. On both the PTR, the beta and Live. Don't know what they check first. :P

And to everyone who mentioned addons: yes, that's also a cause for some FPS drops. But it's not the FPS drop I'm talking about here. As you can see in my initial post, I'm not using any addons. This specific problem is not related to addons.
    You're experiencing it on the beta? Because I haven't had any fps issues and I get about 20-30 more FPS in beta than live atm.