Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I hope this game succeeds and does good things. but I'm afraid it will be meh.
    Same.

My current worry is that sentinels are set to high on the aggressive scale.

The guy got out of his ship, mined one thing and boom! Aggressive and they attacked.

If the goal is to gather but don't go crazy about it (as they have said in another video) He mined one node and got attacked. Kinda goes against the whole mining theme and seems to be a problem. Especially if your getting attacked left and right every time you mine. Is that going to be the game play - time waster here? Always running away.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Same.

My current worry is that sentinels are set to high on the aggressive scale.

The guy got out of his ship, mined one thing and boom! Aggressive and they attacked.

If the goal is to gather but don't go crazy about it (as they have said in another video) He mined one node and got attacked. Kinda goes against the whole mining theme and seems to be a problem. Especially if your getting attacked left and right every time you mine. Is that going to be the game play - time waster here? Always running away.
    As far as I remember, Sentinels are hostile only against people who are destroying races, stealing and overall to those who do the bad things. Sentinels are guardians of the galaxy. You will have to deal with them if you decide to kill other good races, steal their stuff, kill to many creatures, mine to much etc. There are multiple "wanted" levels, just like in GTA So maybe that player was a killer or a pirate, Sentinels will be hostile towards such activity. This is what Hello Games said about Sentinels, that if you are good and do good things, they wont hurt you. You can learn about it here:

@10:30 and later

Oh this game will punish many bad guys who may later cry on the forums "i can't play! my wanted level is to high!"
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-20 at 08:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    We can see:
    - new multitool modifications (3 new gun versions)
    - space crystals
    - crab hostile monsters
    - scary monsters on lava planet
    - 0:28 bottom-right - mentioned earlier quests in my previous post http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41471172
    - different ships and cocpits
    Also a new voice saying stuff like "Hostiles Approaching"
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    Also a new voice saying stuff like "Hostiles Approaching"
    Them damn hostiles, always approaching.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I remember, Sentinels are hostile only against people who are destroying races, stealing and overall to those who do the bad things. Sentinels are guardians of the galaxy. You will have to deal with them if you decide to kill other good races, steal their stuff, kill to many creatures, mine to much etc. There are multiple "wanted" levels, just like in GTA So maybe that player was a killer or a pirate, Sentinels will be hostile towards such activity. This is what Hello Games said about Sentinels, that if you are good and do good things, they wont hurt you.
    IIRC the Sentinels need to see you do nasty stuff for them to get aggressive, but that they are supposed to be a little more touchy than space PETA. To balance that sentinels aren't supposed to be on every planet.

In other words, if the sentinels see you do something other than walk and talk they go nuts -- at least that's what I've seen in other videos

Edit: Here's the vid I'm thinking of that show that the robots actually need to see you do something bad
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    IIRC the Sentinels need to see you do nasty stuff for them to get aggressive, but that they are supposed to be a little more touchy than space PETA. To balance that sentinels aren't supposed to be on every planet.

In other words, if the sentinels see you do something other than walk and talk they go nuts -- at least that's what I've seen in other videos

Edit: Here's the vid I'm thinking of that show that the robots actually need to see you do something bad
    I'm pretty sure there was another video that said something along the lines of the robots coming after you if you harvest a planet too much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Them damn hostiles, always approaching.
    Yet they never turn up with flowers

could be a good thing though, they bite don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'm pretty sure there was another video that said something along the lines of the robots coming after you if you harvest a planet too much.
    That is also what I read but then saw this.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/15...mans-sky-works

At about 1:22 in to the video.

Now the guy in the video says, you took a little of the planet. Guess it was too much but if he took more we didn't see it.

He has no threat, harvests about 2 maybe 3 things and a sentinel starts in on him. 3 things on an entire planet and thats what makes it attack him? Seems a bit over aggressive for a game based on gathering. Maybe it's changed at this point but we have no way to tell.

I do worry that you'll spend more time running because you gathered. Lets hope thats not the case.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-07-22 at 01:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.pcgamer.com/company-claim...ut-permission/

Another potential lawsuit for Hello Games. This one though doesn't want to stop the launch of the game but if it is true then they will be getting a decent chunk of the sales. It is a pretty big thing for Hello Games to over look in my opinion.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Also, from what I've heard, they are using about 20 bases for creatures and the formula is making verious versions of these bases...and in order to fight the feeling of repetitiveness many planets are barren (90%?). There goes your "they are soo passionate and ambitious" hype...out of the window I just can't wait for the spam of "this game is boring" "creatures are just slighty different versions of the same bases" etc. Even the fight trailer has 6 legged scary laval-planet screature and second after you have 6 legged crab-head creature.

Bases source and examples: http://imgur.com/a/2KXkS

gl playing this :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Bases source and examples: http://imgur.com/a/2KXkS
    Except none of that linked states they use 20 amount of bases. Nor does it state that 90% of the planets contain no life what so ever. If that was true then players would rarely see any creatures in the game given the size of the Universe. Planets are going to feel repetitive to a degree because each one isn't tailored to be a different theme and experience along the way and are not meant to each be a lasting impression. They have to use a certain amount of bases though because everything is generated from some preexisting art asset. Thats just how things have to work. They can't generate the art asset as well as the combination of them. So things will share animations if they share similar parts. Anyone who thought otherwise was over hyping it in their own mind.

Besides there is nothing wrong with slightly different variations. How many times is Halo bashed because they have slightly different variations of a gun? Or your random sword and board fantasy having variations on different sword types. Its funny how these things keep being brought up but is no different then any other game. But it is suddenly an issue here for people because this game isn't one you blindly accept it in.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2016-07-21 at 10:32 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Except none of that linked states they use 20 amount of bases. Nor does it state that 90% of the planets contain no life what so ever.
    "about 20 bases" said that dude from Hello Games team from these screens, he was presenting the problems of making sure that generated monsters will have no problems to move. The video of the presentation will be on the reddit.
    "90% planets are barren" - Sean himself said these words in one of the gameplay presentation.

But you will see by yourself
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-21 at 11:15 PM.

And it will still be great. Barrens can have mineral and other shit, dont need to have only life. How many planets do we know for sure that have life? Yes, just one. 10% seems to be good to me, as long as like I said, there are other stuff like mining and shit that can be found.

I agree. Unless some people will be unlucku enogh to explore +20 planets with no life and feel sad and disappointed.

15+ Year Old Account
    "90% planets are barren" - Sean himself said these words in one of the gameplay presentation.
    10% of Total planets with Life forms (has a chance to spawn, basic, normal, rare or ultra rare creature(s): 1,844,674,407,370,955.9
    Planets Barren: 16,602,069,666,338,595.1

You present it like 90% of the planets you encounter will be barren. That isn't the case. The exact number will vary based on the random nature of the Universe and how each player starts out. Some could get lucky and see a ton in the first few hours and some could see none. Also barren doesn't mean devoid of content, just life forms. And is something that hasn't changed from the start. You presented it like it was new information and a bad thing taking away their "passionate and ambitious" hype. It doesn't.

Also about 20 bases is in reference to the skeleton's of the models. A skeleton is what the model is put on for animation. As I said before there are only so many animations you can do for a game if you want them to look fairly decent. The skeleton though isn't the model that goes on top of it. There could be thousands of models that share animations. But wouldn't that be the case the bipedal creatures are share a similar animation? Since they are all bipedal? You seem to be casting them in a negative light for doing what should be done. You are right I will see for my self but I am sure you and plenty of others will still be trying to tell me how I should be seeing and why its somehow bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    There could be thousands of models that share animations.
    Yea, that 10 man dev team totally created enough assets to literally make "thousands" of models.

Pretty sure even massive budget games with lots of variety like GTAV and Witcher 3 don't have anywhere close to "thousands of models" in their entire games, let alone thousands for individual skeletons.

Pass the blunt plz, either you been toking good or you're falling victim to hype without first doing proper research. Hint: listening to buzzwords from developers is not good research on what a game will be like.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-07-22 at 12:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Pass the blunt plz, either you been toking good or you're falling victim to hype without first doing proper research. Hint: listening to buzzwords from developers is not good research on what a game will be like.
    Its called an example. Just because their are a base of 20 skeletons and X number of permutations (since that is what base implies) there could be any number of models to go on top of the skeletons. Because that is the way animation works. A skeleton does not equal what something will look like but how that something moves. However the size of the dev team doesn't matter that much if you have procedural generated models. What matters is how many model parts a person can create for the formula to draw from to put on the skeleton. What I am saying has nothing to do with hype but understanding what is possible with the technology. Perhaps before jumping to people being delusional from drugs or hype you actually understand the possibilities of the tech and what statements made by developers actually mean.

As another example the official sporepedia lists 189,362,533 things created. Did EA/Maxis create that many different models? No. Yes that game comes with an editor to play around and create custom creatures and stuff. It is an example of what a few models can do when its put through a creator tool. When you have a alogrithm that decides what to make each creature in NMS to look like you can have a large number with little unique models.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2016-07-22 at 01:41 AM.

Deleted
    There goes your "they are soo passionate and ambitious" hype...out of the window
    gl playing this :P
    So... You've clearly decided you're not going to buy or play this game, and you've now moved on to what, to wage some crusade to try and get other people to not buy and play it?

What have they done to you that has pissed you off so much that you feel this need to try and ruin other people's fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So... You've clearly decided you're not going to buy or play this game, and you've now moved on to what, to wage some crusade to try and get other people to not buy and play it?

What have they done to you that has pissed you off so much that you feel this need to try and ruin other people's fun?
    Who said it's ruining other's fun? Informing people about something is only sharing ones knowledge, what they do with that is not my concern. I just wanted to write out my thoughs, nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunatelly I know that some people's fun can be ruined just because of the non-hype or not-positive information, so I decided to stop posting in this thread.

Nevertheless, it's better to be cautious and have low expectations, instead of overhyping yourself only to be disappointed.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-07-22 at 02:01 AM.

This game can not get a break

To me it's just going to get too repetitive and boring but damn all these law suits from ass holes.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.