Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    the most Canadian part of Canada
    So canadian they have a popular political party that wants to leave canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    No precedent is set, Quebec is unique in the Canadian legal sysem in that it does not use common law like the rest of the provinces or federal government. Quebec operates on civil law which does not rely on precedent.

Even in common law, I think precedent is only set on criminal cases, which this is not.

I doubt anything like this would pass in any other province.
    Civil law cannot set a precedence under stare decisis certainly, as in they're not binding and there's no real hierarchy for civil courts, compared to common law. But can still be brought up and judged "in the spirit of."

Pretty certain it doesn't need to be criminal either, just any decision levied by some form of judiciary.

Either way, yeah let's all hope it doesn't become more than just a "quebec thing" lol.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-07-21 at 03:18 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

a lot of people don't have the financial security to just move to a different country. and can i invoke this argument anytime someone not from the usa brings up something bad in the usa?
    If they can't move, and if they don't like the laws, they should work to change them as I said. It's their country, their laws, their business.

If you're invoking the argument that people shouldn't worry about what goes on in the US that don't live in the US then I say of course. Why wouldn't you? It's no different for any country. I have opinions about what other countries do, but I'm not going to complain about it because it's their business. Until their business affects my business, it's none of anyone else's business.

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    If you're invoking the argument that people shouldn't worry about what goes on in the US that don't live in the US then I say of course. Why wouldn't you? It's no different for any country. I have opinions about what other countries do, but I'm not going to complain about it because it's their business. Until their business affects my business, it's none of anyone else's business.
    that line of logic leads to alot of minority voices/groups being mistreated by the majority of their country because hey its not your problem right?

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    So let me summarize : in the country where people routinely sue journalists for millions, you call Canada ''totalitarian''. And you consider that without the right of saying ''LULZ, mentally crippled kid, yah should DIE KEK'', you don't have freedom of speech.

This is correct ? No right to tell specific kids with mental disabilitie to jump off a bridge, no freedom ?

The gig of ''you have no guns to fight the gubinment and it's illegal to scream incoherent slurs = slavery'' never get old. Yah, dude, yah. If I don't have 44 different guns under my bed to fight Justin Trudeau, I'm a slave of Justin. It's obvious.
    Since when does defending free speech make you this guy?

Using hyperbolic claims about the opinions of your fellow posters based on one single opinion is the wrong way to go about it, it'd be like me calling any poster who is remotely liberal some man-hating LGBT BLM communist college dropout who wants communism because Burger King doesn't give enough money to pay for the excessive amount of piercings and hot topic products they buy.

What this Ward guy said about the kid was rude, and definitely piss poor humor, but the government has no right to make him pay for his opinion. If you really want him to face the repercussions of his actions, spread the word of what he does to his potential audiences, and just people in general, and if they are like-minded, they will probably not be attending any of his comedy shows.

Don't rely on Super Trudeau to punish Mr. Ward for being a cunt. If people really are outraged by Mr. Ward's 'humor', a loss in profit, for Ward will naturally come, government is supposed to support the interests of the people, not decide what their interests are.
    Last edited by Putin-Chan; 2016-07-21 at 03:38 AM.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

still rather live here than anywhere else in north america lol,

10+ Year Old Account
    so is the usa dose that mean you cant criticize anything about it cause you don't live there?
    We've elected a government and this is how a democracy works. I don't care for foreigners trying to run our country.

It's not ''someone'', it's the butt of the alleged joke. Mike Ward did not made ''jokes'' about how it's fun to see crippled people die, he made a joke on the specific kid
    So that'd be slander at worst, not libel. Even that doesn't count, every definition of slander I found requires the statement be false.

Yadda yadda if you're not in favor of freedom of speech of people you hate you don't favor it at all, as has been said a million times now.

Call me crazy but if I was issuing penalties it'd be a personal apology and a takedown of the comic. At harshest. People have gotten way too sue-happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I think most of these "punish artists who offend someone" are non-Americans who have no idea of Freedom of Speech. They are used to Authoritarian government agencies and thought police.
    Totally, this was why Eminem was sued for libel by his mother after revealing details about her in songs, right?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The good news is Ward can drag his feet and hope the kid croaks off before collecting any sizable chunk.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's true that mocking MRAs is truly an attack on their human dignity...

FTR, the point of the lawsuit is also that if you are a ''celebrity'', you can reasonnably except to be mocked....but singling out a mentally disabled kid is dubious.
    Exeept he wasn't just some randomly disabled kid he picked off the street to shit on. He was a public figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Totally, this was why Eminem was sued for libel by his mother after revealing details about her in songs, right?
    did she win?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    What I am saying is... If it's wrong to make fun of certain people, or a certain person (which is what this thread is all about), it's wrong to make fun of any person anywhere ever. When you take out that type of comedy, most comics lose their bread and butter.

I feel kinda bad having to clarify that for you... It tells me that your responses are only going to attempt to serve your ideas instead of looking at the bigger picture. It's like I am going to be talking to a brick wall. Not exactly looking forward to that.
    It's almost like comedy is used as a coping mechanism to deal with human suffering...by making light of it.

*Drops mic*

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    did she win?
    They settled out of court, for $25,000 funnily enough. ($1660 short of what this kid is aiming for.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MurlocDemonHunter View Post
    Since when does defending free speech make you this guy?

Using hyperbolic claims about the opinions of your fellow posters based on one single opinion is the wrong way to go about it, it'd be like me calling any poster who is remotely liberal some man-hating LGBT BLM communist college dropout who wants communism because Burger King doesn't give enough money to pay for the excessive amount of piercings and hot topic products they buy.

What this Ward guy said about the kid was rude, and definitely piss poor humor, but the government has no right to make him pay for his opinion. If you really want him to face the repercussions of his actions, spread the word of what he does to his potential audiences, and just people in general, and if they are like-minded, they will probably not be attending any of his comedy shows.

Don't rely on Super Trudeau to punish Mr. Ward for being a cunt. If people really are outraged by Mr. Ward's 'humor', a loss in profit, for Ward will naturally come, government is supposed to support the interests of the people, not decide what their interests are.
    Consdering the extreme it takes, to actually get you fined, i don't see the issue.

I honestly think, that people who are remotely affected by this idea, is just people who feel their position to be toxic is threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Don't mock W1sp. He can sue you... in Canada.

I'm from Sweden I can sue you for since I find your comment since only thin people have edges therefore you are body shaming me.

that line of logic leads to alot of minority voices/groups being mistreated by the majority of their country because hey its not your problem right?
    What does this have to do with Canada's lack of freedom of speech? Are you trying to compare something like the holocaust to artists being arrested for offending people? You realize how ridiculous that sounds?

You keep trying to kick things down a path that leads away from the topic at hand. Until Canada passes laws that allows them to kill minorities with impunity your argument falls flat on it's face. We're talking about rights of citizens laid down by the laws of that country. Agree or disagree with the laws, it's not a non Canadian's place to judge how they do things compared to their own. If Canada starts doing things outside of the law of their land, then you can judge them harshly. I hope you can comprehend the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhatadumbthread View Post
    still rather live here than anywhere else in north america lol,
    You wouldn't be saying that if you had to rely solely on Canadian technology, services and goods.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't even know what you are talking about. She didn't sue him for any of his songs. She sued him from what he said in print and broadcast interviews about her being a drug addict.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...s-mom-19990920

So many of you so are uniformed, it is scary.

You don't even know what you are talking about. She didn't sue him for any of his songs. She sued him from what he said in print and broadcast interviews about her being a drug addict.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...s-mom-19990920

So many of you so are uniformed, it is scary.
    So what's the fucking difference lol?

+1 for the dumbest rebuttal ever on the fucking internet.

Deleted
    Do the people of Canada feel like this is an issue?

So what's the fucking difference lol?

+1 for the dumbest rebuttal ever on the fucking internet.
    If you don't know the difference than you are really fucking stupid.

You compound your own ignorance and stupidity by attacking me for it.

Saying something in the context of an Artistic performance, is different that giving interviews specifically mentioning people.

From his song "My Name is", one of the lines of his song says "My mom smokes more dope than I do", this is artistic expression and no reasonable person would base their opinion on someone solely on that, hence she never sued him for what he said in that song.

However, he did give numerous interviews both in print and on the radio where he called his Mother a drug addict. He gave these interviews in the context of the truth of his life where listeners or readers would rationally believe him that he thought his mother was a drug addict. These accusations across different print media and radio and TV shows spread this information and Eminem's mom felt she had a right to sue for damages.

The case of Eminem's mom is wholly different than this kid in every conceivable way.

Though he didn’t mention Gabriel by name on Monday, Ward described him as “kind of a Make-a-Wish Foundation type kid.”

He recalled: “He sang for the Pope and he’s deaf. And he was horrible. Of course he’s going to be horrible. If you’re deaf you shouldn’t sing ‘cuz you’re not going to know what you sound like so you’re not going to be able to improve.

“So the joke I made was that this kid sang for the Pope and everyone was like, ‘fuck he’s horrible, but he’s a little kid’ and then five years later he’s not fucking dead yet. He won’t fucking die. He is unkillable. That was the joke.”

That is the joke the Canadian Human Right's Commission is worrying aboot?

Isn't Canada the country where old immigrant muslim men living on welfare can fly to some middle eastern country and marry a 10 year old girl who most likely was forced into an arraigned marriage, and then brought back to Canada where this young child will live a horrific life of being raped and tortured by her muslim "husband".

That isn't worth looking in to, but a dopey joke is just too much for Canada's Human Right's Commission.

Canada is speedily catching up to Sweden.
    Don't forget 'murrica.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/