Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Square owns the studio and started it. Tokyo RPG Factory IS square. There is no "leaving" them. Like you do realize the studio was started BY square for the very purpose of creating ATB JRPGs on a budget right?
    Yeah I know, that's kinda the point I was making... I hope they stick to the release statement from when the company was announced and just make old school JRPGs. When I said "Leaving" I didn't mean as in seperating, I meant as in "Leave them to do what they're doing".
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Anyone pick this game up yesterday? If so how is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Downloaded it, but I haven't had to play yet. Reviews are mostly positive, but still a lot of issues with it. No side quests I've heard, which is just...how.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Anyone pick this game up yesterday? If so how is it?
    Apparently it only has 17-20 hours of content, no real side content. Most seem to be saying it is a good game but probably not worth $40 as it was a game made on a very low budget with less then half of the amount of content you would expect in a JRPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played it for 1 hour so far so good ! love the atmosphere, and the music ! reminded me so much of good old JRPGs specially Chrono Trigger which this game is highly inspired by it ! I just love the world map exploration old school for the win and I love the fact that there is no mini map inside a dungeons or towns that telling you what to do or where to go this aspect alone made me fall in love with the game....you know I am a type of a player who explore every corner of the world maps and dungeons yeah that is me haha.

Taking a small tea break then I will continue playing it !

Haven't finished it yet but my thoughts so far: MEH. The game is completely driven by the nostalgia of the past rpgs. Honestly, why not just play those games instead? There's nothing special about this one so far and for $40, not worth it. Might not be a popular opinion but I usually don't so w/e :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    Haven't finished it yet but my thoughts so far: MEH. The game is completely driven by the nostalgia of the past rpgs. Honestly, why not just play those games instead? There's nothing special about this one so far and for $40, not worth it. Might not be a popular opinion but I usually don't so w/e :P
    Haha yeah well for me I played those games million times already.

The last time I played Chrono Trigger (the DS awesome version) in 2015 August and so many others as well. For me personally it's not just nostalgia it's just I love JRPG so much and whenever there is a good JRPG I really feel home haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Haha yeah well for me I played those games million times already.

The last time I played Chrono Trigger (the DS awesome version) in 2015 August and so many others as well. For me personally it's not just nostalgia it's just I love JRPG so much and whenever there is a good JRPG I really feel home haha.
    Admittedly my opinion is highly affected by the price tag. I'm also not finished with the game so it might get better for me.

Also, I play ff9/10 and chrono cross/trigger almost every yr and I'm still not tired of it lol.

I miss the classic JRPG. Before it became techno-open world-botton spam-JRPG. If it captures that feel than I would love to give it a try.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can give some thoughts as I go, hopefully this thread is active enough I can stay up to date.

So far the game kind of has a Grandia 2 feel to it. The graphics, the animation, even the fact your other characters follow behind you at all times outside of combat. Even Setsuna's weapon is very reminiscent of Tio's rings. The idea you can build up a "time attack" is cool, makes combat a little more intuitive. However, combat seems to move really fast, too fast to really think out your attacks. So far, leveling seems insignificant, since your abilities are gained through your items. I prefer a game that actually makes leveling useful, instead of just some insignificant stat changes.

One thing that is really bothering me more than it should is, my characters' feet are clipping into the ground, in places where there is no snow

Yep, the story so far is a combination of Final Fantasy 10 and Grandia 2. Kinda bothers me that the main character takes a job to kill a girl, no questions asked. Then just doesn't bother going along with it when he meets her. And Setsuna's comments about "I feel like I was meant to find you" is very...ambiguous? It's still the beginning, I expect it to get better.

Also, trying to figure out how to get this Cure spell to heal everyone like it says it can.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2016-07-22 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    I'm sorry but I see way too much JRPG that are essentially the same thing: turn-based, awful combat, isometric or similar, waifushit, lack of depth in terms of gameplay.
    There's just so many of what is essentially the same game it turns me off to the whole genre as a whole - probably not a good thing because I own both a New Nintendo 3DS and a PS Vita.
    lol what, turn based isometric JRPGs are the rarity these days.

Most are 3rd person and/or action combat.

Let alone the fact this game is not turn based, it's atb. Still boggles my mind people haven't figured out the difference after all these years. FF1-3, X = turn based, FF4-9, CT = atb. Figured it out yet?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-07-22 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Also, trying to figure out how to get this Cure spell to heal everyone like it says it can.
    lol i'm glad I'm not the only one. I gave up and just use aura/drain to heal.

potato, potato. It's the same shit, my friend
    Except it's not. Just because you try to copout and say things like this doesn't make it true. Not even close to being the same.

Not my fault you made a ridiculous post and got called on it. In the future, more knowledge should be obtained before making such bold statements.

potato, potato. It's the same shit, my friend
    Yeah except it isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should I just sell all the materials to the Consortium guy, or is there a secondary use for them later? I feel it's like the bazaar in Final Fantasy 12, but other vendors are saying they use the other stuff.

Aaaand my game crashed. That's a big time loss.

Also, still not sure how the spritnite equip works. Sometimes, I can equip certain ones, others time I can't. And I get there's physical and support ones, but it still seems really random on what it will let me equip.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2016-07-22 at 02:55 AM.

I've just been selling everything since that's basically what the guy said to do. It also seems that's the way you make money to buy new gear so yea. If there are other uses for them idk how else you'd make money.

It's pretty good so far. I like how bleak the tone of the game is - and it definitely has that 'classic RPG' feel I've been missing ever since there was a shift away from turn based combat and towards action based battles. I do like both styles, mind you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok....I am...just overwhelmed now.... I always been fan of old classic RPG but the moment I got the airship and started flying exploring the world map....I almost cry (no joke I am serious) with joy because damn it reminded me of my old days when I was playing games like FFV ,FFVI and of course Chrono Trigger in SNES.

About Chrono Trigger....at first when I saw the gameplay, combat system, combos, I was happy that the game inspired by Chrono Trigger which really warm my fanboy of classic RPG heart !

HOWEVER!!!! when I started opening the grey locked treasures and one of them obtained Lucca's Hammer !!!! I totally lost it with happiness haha a direct easter egg from Chrono Trigger ! specially the description of the weapon it says "A weapon modeled after a mythical hero."