Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Does tanking get better at 110?

I logged in to play around with the pre-patch. I've consistently played tanks during WoW.

I was in a bit of a shock when I logged into my brewmaster, then my prot warrior, then my prot pali. They gutted everything... I feel like I have 6 abilities to press now on any of the tank classes. I've never been more sad than now with the state of tanking.

So I haven't been blessed with legion beta access, and haven't kept up with much information, but does tanking get better at 110 as far as gameplay depth?

I just cannot see myself playing the cut down version of tanks if it doesn't get significantly better at end game.

Thanks

Veng dh is fun, Prot warrior is a beast, I heard druids are good, I couldn't stand prot pally enough to test them (which is funny cause that's been my main main since TBC) Brewmaster is eh, but it does get better as you level, veng is definitely the most fun of them all though.

Deleted
    Its not only tanks, its all classes and speccs.

Looking at my prot war right now i can see over a dozen abilities to use and keep track of. How many do you want?

Honestly I was put off by Brewmaster by trying the beta and it was my main character since Mists, I just miss things like Spinning Crane Kick and the like as it doesn't feel fun anymore.

Prot Paladin is tons of fun though, will be going Prot Paladin for Legion.

If anything, my Guardian Druid got a few more abilities to use rotationally, especially if you talent into the active choices. And thats even without the new ability from the artifact. The artifact also adds a few more procs to keep track of.

Check your spellbook, I guess.

Deleted
    the only thing that will change between now and legion is the handful of extra mechanics/abilities your artifact will provide. so for most people thats like 1 active ability, a proc, and some minor tweaks to existing abilities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Looking at my prot war right now i can see over a dozen abilities to use and keep track of. How many do you want?
    that may be so but they removed more then they added.

Deleted
    my main was Monk tank in WoD, 5/13 Mythic and when i logged in yesterday i was like ... really ??

I have 3 DPS skills on my bar (Expel Harm or whatever new skill name it is I am not counting it as its more as a defensive skill now). Tiger Palm, Keg Smash and Blackout Strike !!! It felt so so bad. for AoE i had to spec into RJW so I had 4 skills to use. To have our Ox statue as a talent and then not to be able to have AoE stun was bad idea. This to me is a very bad choice. I would rather have to choose between heal (Chi Wave) and Stun or Chi Wave and Statue but not being able to have both statue and stun is disappointing. With no Chi explosion and only RJW (talented) and Keg Smash it feel like I am lacking so much in AoE department.

I decided to switch to Boomkin long before yesterday, but for once I will not be sorry about my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by slev36 View Post
    I logged in to play around with the pre-patch. I've consistently played tanks during WoW.

I was in a bit of a shock when I logged into my brewmaster, then my prot warrior, then my prot pali. They gutted everything... I feel like I have 6 abilities to press now on any of the tank classes. I've never been more sad than now with the state of tanking.

So I haven't been blessed with legion beta access, and haven't kept up with much information, but does tanking get better at 110 as far as gameplay depth?

I just cannot see myself playing the cut down version of tanks if it doesn't get significantly better at end game.

Thanks
    Prot Pally is def a joke, which is why I switched from Paladin to Warrior. Pro Warrior is awesome to play, so I suggest you consider making the same switch that I did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prot Paladin really needs some tweaking. Currently it isn't something you should look away from the screen for too long. And here I had hoped to go Prot Paladin for Legion..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Hashcrypt View Post
    Prot Pally is def a joke, which is why I switched from Paladin to Warrior. Pro Warrior is awesome to play, so I suggest you consider making the same switch that I did.
    What is so bad about Prot Paly?

I've been doing Timewalker dungeons and it seems very usable and fun. I have no idea what talents are "good" or whatnot but I like the play between Consecration and other abilities.

The self-heal thing seems completely worthless though.

I hate the "active" management of Prot Warrior now, having to use two different shield abilities, the Ignore pain and other one etc. is just awkward, but I guess I need to just bite the bullet and give it some more time/practice.

talking about warrior comparing Live and Beta 110, gameplay is more fluid in 110, i have a better rage generation in 110. Artifacts helps a lot to all classes, all classes are half naked without them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heerobya View Post

I've been doing Timewalker dungeons and it seems very usable and fun. I have no idea what talents are "good" or whatnot but I like the play between Consecration and other abilities.

I hate the "active" management of Prot Warrior now, having to use two different shield abilities, the Ignore pain and other one etc. is just awkward, but I guess I need to just bite the bullet and give it some more time/practice.
    Prot warrior isnot any hard, you can have near 100% uptime on shield block with the lvl 100 talent and costing only 10 rage you can just press it everytime is up, isnot hard too to maintain 100% uptime on IP (in 110 is easier than 100).

Quote Originally Posted by heerobya View Post

The lack of activie management is what makes Prot Paladin bad imo. It's not that they perform bad, in fact they are one of the best tanks in terms of performance.

But gameplay matters most to me, and Prot Paladin has zero compelling gameplay for ME.

Quote Originally Posted by Hashcrypt View Post
    The lack of activie management is what makes Prot Paladin bad imo. It's not that they perform bad, in fact they are one of the best tanks in terms of performance.

But gameplay matters most to me, and Prot Paladin has zero compelling gameplay for ME.
    Yeah I seem to take a good chunk of damage as Prot Paly - I kind of blamed it on patch and healers still figuring things out and me figuring things out etc. and the lack of artifact... but I was not comfortable with how squishy I felt.

No, it doesn't get any better. Be prepared to spend most of your time in raids yelling at overtaxed healers who don't know when the next tank mechanic you have to be topped off for is arriving.

Quote Originally Posted by slev36 View Post

Thanks
    Tanks had to much healing, to much mitigation. If you outgeared the content a healer could go afk for 5 minutes and come back to see the tank was still alive. That is bad and needed fixing.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    It doesn't.

Tanking in legion is the worst it's ever been. We (well, not me I quit tanking, thanks legion) are rpetty much glorified target dummy. Aggro? No skill required. Not dying? No skill required, healers job. Active Mitigation and cooldowns? Extremely weak, can't tell good and bad tank apart.

You can't cover for crappy healers yourself at all.

Just be ready to shout even more so incoming boss mechanics and manage healers cooldown so you don't die. Too bad if you get healers that spam all their cooldowns at the same time without you asking for it and then 5s later you die.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of artifacts hurts tanks more so than any other class archetype. Not having the mitigation passives/abilities from the Legion weapons really makes the tank specs feel incomplete. My advice from an alpha/beta player who focused almost exclusively on tanks is to wait until you get your artifact weapon to make any game-changing decisions.

Having said that, the artifacts arent going to make any huge play style changes.

Increase your tank's sturdiness - yes.
    Make the spec play substantially different - no.

The post above mine is pretty typical garbage that you usually hear from bads who freak out at the slightest change. Anyone claiming there is no play difference between good and bad tanks is probably just too bad a tank to see how high the skill ceiling goes. Hyperbolic shitposts from tanks that are upset that they cant solo everything anymore should not be used as a basis of tank effectiveness come legion.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-07-21 at 02:36 PM.

My main alt is Blood DK and I feel like I have been robbed. Reminds me of old Prot Warrior and not in the good way - have to really rely on healers now, I used to be able to handle myself for 15-20 seconds in very intense situations easily which attracted me to the spec in the first place.

The idea of high-damage intake, non-shield spec with a possibility of very solid self-sustainment was good one. Now it`s just another tank...

Deleted
    You dont play tank becouse u wanna dps and have 10 dps abilities, tanking today is all about surviving, using dmg red and AM correct.. just how it hould be.
    For me as a healer i immediately notice if the tank is shit or not.