Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    That is the whole point of prolonged and intensive police training. To be trained well enough to handle a situation without resorting to shooting someone.
    Clearly that period of training isn't long enough in the US. Maybe instead of giving the police tanks and machine guns, we should be giving them training on how to handle these types of situations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Clearly that period of training isn't long enough in the US. Maybe instead of giving the police tanks and machine guns, we should be giving them training on how to handle these types of situations.
    What would that training look like beyond common sense? "Don't shoot a guy who isn't a threat who is on the ground with his hands up"

10+ Year Old Account
    Because unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a need for more training when you have a portion of the populace who can have all the evidence in front of them that shooting an unarmed individual is unjustified yet still defend the police officer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmm okay he interfered, but he obviously wasn't doing so in a way that was preventing the police from doing their jobs(such as blocking access to the handicapped man or getting up in their faces), he was nearby, on the ground, with his hands in the air when he was shot. For all it mattered he could have been another criminal who was arrested moments prior and was complying with police orders to get on the ground and show your hands. He was clearly complying at the time he was shot, which makes the shooting inexcusable, criminal or not.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Let the police do their job you won't risk getting shot.
    That's strikingly similar to the advice given for what to do when you're being mugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    What would that training look like beyond common sense? "Don't shoot a guy who isn't a threat who is on the ground with his hands up"

It might be a start.

Should calling 911 to falsely report a gun owner be equivalent to yelling fire in a crowded theater?

Is it not the same principle, instigating panic? I suppose there are differences, knowingly causing panic vs. genuine fear.

Hard to watch, although, I wonder what would have been the outcome if a gun had not been reported in the first place.

I am pretty sure Police Training is constantly being updated and expanded across the US.

However, when out there on the streets dealing with violent criminals there are only a few moves to make before violence is created by the criminal.

No amount of training is going to stop the escalation of violence in criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I really wonder how many times forum experts on police procedure would be "killed" and how many would unecessarily "shoot" someone doing one of those police training scenarios reporters sometimes get to do where they have to decide on when/when not to use force.
    There's a man lying on the ground with his hands in the air, complying with every order given to him. Given that scenario, how many people would choose to shoot him, amateur or not?

Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    There's a man lying on the ground with his hands in the air, complying with every order given to him. Given that scenario, how many people would choose to shoot him, amateur or not?
    There's gotta be a great deal of psychological stress and PTSD associated with being a cop to the point where you can sometimes lash out in violence or get trigger happy.

Look everyone, Hands up don't Shoot is actually real now!

There's gotta be a great deal of psychological stress and PTSD associated with being a cop to the point where you can sometimes lash out in violence or get trigger happy.
    If you're that fucked up, you're a risk to society at large not only as a cop but being on the street at all.

If you're that fucked up, you're a risk to society at large not only as a cop but being on the street at all.
    I'm just wondering how easy it is to develop that anxiety and how prevalent it is

10+ Year Old Account
    So many generalizations.

It's 'Errmuhgerd the bad po-po keeled an eenocint manz!' vs. 'Durp! Der wetodd shudnit bean dere.' Unless someone was actually there and can post on this, how about we all just shut the fuck up about police this and shootings that? Sick of seeing these headlines every god damned time I come to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Sick of seeing these headlines every god damned time I come to this forum.
    You should be sick of these shootings. You're mad at the wrong thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be sick of these shootings. You're mad at the wrong thing.
    Generalizing it on a forum about games does nothing to either solve or abate the issue. I'm mad at one of many wrong things, making it the right thing.

I'm just wondering how easy it is to develop that anxiety and how prevalent it is
    I briefly worked a customer service job. At the end of my shift I didn't want to be around any person. It was a low stress job, just having to deal with the general public's idiocy and grotesque personalities.

I can't imagine what it is like to be a Police Officer, dealing with the scum and shit of society every day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Not saying he deserved to get shot but if he didn't put himself in that position it would have never happened, patient or not you don't interfere.
    His moral and professional duty was exactly to put himself in that situation, you doofus. And he got shot for it. Good for him the shot wasn't fatal.

I agree with the sentiment that you should fuck right off if you believe civillians should avoid the police during active duty like the Gestapo for fear of being shot on the spot like dogs. The officers are people, the therapist is a person, the patient is a person, the therapist had every right and a very good reason to interfere. In a normal country they would actually, you know, TALK LIKE PEOPLE, thus resolving the situation with minimal violence. But I guess that's too simple for the US.

And of course it's a complete accident that the therapist is black and it has nothing to do with the situation ;]
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2016-07-21 at 02:15 PM.

Deleted
    America is great again.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I can't imagine what it is like to be a Police Officer, dealing with the scum and shit of society every day.
    A janitor who can't stand the smell of piss and shit is unfit for the job.