Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Warm weather, temps too high?

I made a new pc a few weeks ago and was monitoring my temps today because it was so hot outside, and found out the temps of my gpu ramp up to 75 degrees under 100% load. It starts around 65 and slowly ramps up to 75 within minutes.

I'm not sure if this is ok but but I remember it staying around 65 before, so I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on keeping it a bit lower?

i5-6600
    MSI Gtx 1070
    neither are oc'ed

Using a stock cooler as well, would it help the gpu if I bought a different cooler?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before and I have googled if 75 was too high but I get different answers everywhere.

I presume you mean the CPU being that to change the cooler on the GPU you'd have to run a custom loop liquid cooler or do some redneck nonsense. Those temps are perrfectly fine you don't have to worry about them at all. a 6600 on stock cooler should be fine up to 80C any higher than that I'd start to worry. GPU can go anywhere up to 80-90 and be fine.

Deleted
    Yea I actually meant cooling down the gpu. The cpu is fine it stays around the 50 degrees. But if I should start worrying if a gpu goes over 80, and its on 75 on full load, isnt that living a little on the edge? Aren't there any ways to cool it down a little?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheetka View Post
    Yea I actually meant cooling down the gpu. The cpu is fine it stays around the 50 degrees. But if I should start worrying if a gpu goes over 80, and its on 75 on full load, isnt that living a little on the edge? Aren't there any ways to cool it down a little?
    75 on full load isn't too bad, is a FE card?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    75 on full load isn't too bad, is a FE card?
    No its the MSI gaming x one.

10+ Year Old Account
    No its the MSI gaming x one.
    Whats the temp in the room like, you say you have the stock CPU cooler? What's the airflow like in the case? Multiple fans?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Whats the temp in the room like, you say you have the stock CPU cooler? What's the airflow like in the case? Multiple fans?
    Can't measure the temp here atm, but it was around 30 degrees outside here today and the computer is on the top floor so it gets pretty warm in this room as well. The case I'm using is this one; http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/681...iew/index.html

peeking out at around 72-73 Celsius myself on a stock cooled R9 380 after hours of gaming and fan speed have maxed out at 38% meaning i technically still have lots of room left but since i value low noise as well i cool the FX-8350 with a master cooler 212 EVO and the highest CPU temp i have recorded in a warm Florida summer room is 53 degree celsius so far And that with CPU fan having reached just below 50% of max RPM.

Silent and fairly cool system in a well ventilated case thats how i like it

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't measure the temp here atm, but it was around 30 degrees outside here today and the computer is on the top floor so it gets pretty warm in this room as well. The case I'm using is this one; http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/681...iew/index.html
    Well the case seems to have decent cooling and 75c under load is not much higher then what some reviewer get:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,9.html

I'd say it's more then fine, the majority of top end cards run way hotter then that.

Your GPU doesnt seems to bad. I have exact same GPU and mine ramps up to 60C under load but I'm using a very good airflow setup which I'm assuming you dont. Try to download this and force 100% fan speed. See how it goes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Your GPU doesnt seems to bad. I have exact same GPU and mine ramps up to 60C under load but I'm using a very good airflow setup which I'm assuming you dont. Try to download this and force 100% fan speed. See how it goes.
    Alright so how can I improve my airflow?

add two intake fans to the front of the case.

Basic setup would be two intake front 140mm fans, top 140mm exhaust, rear 120mm exhaust. Or (if your case supports it) two front 140mm intake, side 140mm intake, two top 140mm exhaust, rear 120mm exhaust. Side intake really helps GPU airflow. Just make sure all your fans are similar in performance.

Global warming probably

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Basic setup would be two intake front 140mm fans, top 140mm exhaust, rear 120mm exhaust. Or (if your case supports it) two front 140mm intake, side 140mm intake, two top 140mm exhaust, rear 120mm exhaust. Side intake really helps GPU airflow. Just make sure all your fans are similar in performance.
    These are the specs I can find:

Cooling System:

Front: 2x 140/2x120mm
    Top: 1x 140/120mm (1 x 120mm FN V2 Fans Included)
    Rear: 1x 120mm (1 x 120mm FN V2 Fan Included)

So side fans is not a possibility I guess.

Apparantly there is no front fan either, that means I can purchase one and install it?
    What do I need to look for when purchasing a fan like this?

Cooling System:

Apparantly there is no front fan either, that means I can purchase one and install it?
    Then you go with the first option. If you have the money I suggest Noctua fans. NF-A14 PWM for front intake and top exhaust and NF-S12A for rear exhaust. Corsair fans are worth looking into too (AF- Airflow Series). If you want a cheap option ARCTIC fans a good choice for their price.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-07-21 at 01:38 PM.

Cooling System:

Yup, I looked at your case you linked earlier and that is what I saw as well which is why I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    add two intake fans to the front of the case.

you need to decide if you want a negative pressure or a positive pressure cooling system which will then dictate the amount of in- and outtake fans.

positive pressure: more intake fans than outtake fans -> overall a bit less cooling, but no problem if the airflow is good. way less dustproblems
    negative pressure: more outtake fans than intake fans -> overall a bit more cooling, even if airflow isnt optimal. dust will gather faster

Personally, I'd take positive air pressure. Technically, negative provides more cooling if you exhaust as much hot air as you can in most cases, however, your computer becomes a dust magnet. While in positive air pressure, the case almost acts as a seal from dust. This can result in less cooling, but if you have a good case and your parts are running at fine/cool/stable temperatures, then why not just do positive?

also GPU temps of up to 80° for newer nvidia cards on 100% load is absolutly no problem as long as its not 24/7... 75° is perfectly normal at full load

Quote Originally Posted by Sethanor View Post
    you need to decide if you want a negative pressure or a positive pressure cooling system which will then dictate the amount of in- and outtake fans.

positive pressure: more intake fans than outtake fans -> overall a bit less cooling, but no problem if the airflow is good. way less dustproblems
    negative pressure: more outtake fans than intake fans -> overall a bit more cooling, even if airflow isnt optimal. dust will gather faster

Personally, I'd take positive air pressure. Technically, negative provides more cooling if you exhaust as much hot air as you can in most cases, however, your computer becomes a dust magnet. While in positive air pressure, the case almost acts as a seal from dust. This can result in less cooling, but if you have a good case and your parts are running at fine/cool/stable temperatures, then why not just do positive?

also GPU temps of up to 80° for newer nvidia cards on 100% load is absolutly no problem as long as its not 24/7... 75° is perfectly normal at full load
    Best bet is to go for balanced with a slight edge towards positive. Since his case has 4 fans slots, 2 on the front, one on top, one on the side, since he already has the rear and top as exhaust, he is currently negative. Adding to intake fans to the front, if they are the same type and run at the same speed as the ones he already has, it will become balanced. So yeah, I do actually agree with you, he should get 2 new fans that move more air than his current ones. Since he already has 2x120 exhaust, he could add 2x140 intake and that would create a slight positive pressure system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethanor View Post

You dont have to decide anything in this case, you need a setup that will move as much air through the case as possible.