Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Funny to read the Americans who actually think they have total freedom of speech at all times and yet I wonder how many would be willing to walk into an airport and yell that they have a bomb?
    Are you for real?

Funny to read the Americans who actually think they have total freedom of speech at all times and yet I wonder how many would be willing to walk into an airport and yell that they have a bomb?
    No one in this thread has compared shouting fire in a crowded room to a joke, until you showed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    No one in this thread has compared shouting fire in a crowded room to a joke, until you showed up.
    People are acting like this is a big deal when it's really not. And the amount of people coming in saying "Oh well it must suck to not have freedom of speech in Canada" is mind boggling. Mostly from dumb Americans who don't understand what they're talking about, happens with news stories about speech in Europe too.

People are acting like this is a big deal when it's really not. And the amount of people coming in saying "Oh well it must suck to not have freedom of speech in Canada" is mind boggling. Mostly from dumb Americans who don't understand what they're talking about, happens with news stories about speech in Europe too.

The entire case is readable. There is no missing piece of information to this story.

This is an Artist who is being punished because his Art offended someone.

That generally is an affront to most people who cherish the idea of being able to freely express themselves through any outlet of creativity.

People generally reject Authoritarian Thought Police.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    The entire case is readable. There is no missing piece of information to this story.

That generally is an affront to most people who cherish the idea of being able to freely express themselves through any outlet of creativity.

If you can't express yourself without demeaning other people, you should find a better way to do it. His joke was tasteless, his fine was minimal, and it went through the courts as any breach of law should. I fail to see the problem here. If it had no effect, the judge wouldn't have given them anything. The reason we have courts in the first place is because the court of public opinion sucks.

If you can't express yourself without demeaning other people, you should find a better way to do it. His joke was tasteless, his fine was minimal, and it went through the courts as any breach of law should. I fail to see the problem here. If it had no effect, the judge wouldn't have given them anything. The reason we have courts in the first place is because the court of public opinion sucks.
    No thank you.

Rational people who reject Authoritarian Thought Police unlike yourself, cherish the ability of Artists to create Art without the fear of reprisals.

This is an essential component of freedom.

I don't like that you called Americans dumb. I hope the OT mods fine you $40,000!

10+ Year Old Account
    No thank you.

Rational people who reject Authoritarian Thought Police unlike yourself, cherish the ability of Artists to create Art without the fear of reprisals.

If your thought hurts other, it should be policed, just like anything else that hurts other. How is that hard to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    I don't like that you called Americans dumb. I hope the OT mods fine you $40,000!
    I didn't though, only the ones acting like they have total free speech.

You're really struggling to grasp the basics of this case. It wasn't just because someone found it offensive, it's because the artist targeted a particular individual and caused a decrease in their quality of life. The court decided the comedian's right to free expression did not outweigh the victim's right to live their life with dignity and fined him appropriately.

Free speech or freedom of expression is not an absolute right that trumps the rights of everyone else.

People generally don't even use those words unless they're parroting memes from #Chan or some other alt-right website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    You're really struggling to grasp the basics of this case. It wasn't just because someone found it offensive, it's because the artist targeted a particular individual and caused a decrease in their quality of life. The court decided the comedian's right to free expression did not outweigh the victim's right to live their life with dignity and fined him appropriately.

Free speech or freedom of expression is not an absolute right that trumps the rights of everyone else.
    But how am I going to properly express myself without being able to demean other?!

If your thought hurts other, it should be policed, just like anything else that hurts other. How is that hard to understand?

I didn't though, only the ones acting like they have total free speech.
    If we started policing people's thought and if they hurt or offend others, our society would collapse under the weight of everyone saying someone somewhere offended them and they must be punished.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we started policing people's thought and if they hurt or offend others, our society would collapse under the weight of everyone saying someone somewhere offended them and they must be punished.
    Doesn't really seem to be the case when applied to other ways of effecting other people so I fail to see how applying it to speech will some how bring about the collapse of society. You can't express yourself through physical violence, why should you be able to express yourself by demeaning others?

Doesn't really seem to be the case when applied to other ways of effecting other people so I fail to see how applying it to speech will some how bring about the collapse of society. You can't express yourself through physical violence, why should you be able to express yourself by demeaning others?
    The vast majority of entertainment involves some kind of demeaning language.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    was sentenced for a mean joke on a mentally and physically handicapped kid.

But before going on ''freedom of speech rants'', he was sentenced to 35 000 $ fee. Not 3.5 million. 35 000 canadian dollars.

(The issue is that as libel suits go, 35 000 $ is damn reasonnable...)
    35k fine for verbally being a meany.

no words..............
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Not typically directed at kid though. And if it's demeaning enough, then they should be able to take it to court. That doesn't mean they would default win mind you, but the option should be there for when things cross the line. If this guy is a decent comedian, it's not like 35k will be a huge dent in his wallet. And if he doesn't have the money because he isn't that good of a comedian, he should take the hint.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No thank you.

While I don't have an opinion on this particular case, I don't know all the details or evidence that was provided. That statement is false. Artists are required to follow the same restrictions on speech as anyone else. Libel, defamation, and slander don't go out the window just because you call yourself an artist.

If Mike's jokes did wrongly affect Jérémy's reputation and career and there was evidence to support it the judge was in the right as that would be considered libel. But that's a hard thing to prove and none of the evidence was posted in the CBC article.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Its one thing to be demeaning toward celebrities, one other thing to be demeaning (200 times) for a specific kid, that is actually mentally and physically crippled

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Its one thing to be demeaning toward celebrities, one other thing to be demeaning (200 times) for a specific kid, that is actually mentally and physically crippled
    Age and handicaps should play no matter in front of the law. Justice is blind.

The only thing that matters are the facts: is there strong enough evidence to suggest his reputation and career were wrongly damaged due to this joke?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Age and handicaps should play no matter in front of the law. Justice is blind.

The only thing that matters are the facts: is there strong enough evidence to suggest his reputation and career were wrongly damaged due to this joke?
    No, why, normal kids love to be told that should go drown in pools, why ? And if they can't take this cheerful joke ''they are wuk beta liburals KEK''

And the America hating Canadians here think they have any right to criticize America?

At least we don't fine someone because they were a big, mean, poopy head.

I'm going to send a care package of pink tutus and rainbow stickers to every Canadian here. What's the address of your safe space?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.