Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    actualy, there is absolutely the need for criminal charges. because civilians get charged for the same type of situation. negligent discharge, especially of the sort that endangers people? is very much a crime, punishable by law.
    Generally an accident is not a criminal matter, unless it's the Florida law about not leaving a gun accessible to a minor. It's a civil matter. The guy was hit in his leg, the video was released to the press by his lawyer.

but as far as training goes - his finger shouldn't have been on a trigger in a first place. yet another example of just how absolutely abysmal police training is in this country. give them firearms, but don't train them how to use them. send them out into the streets, but don't teach them how to recognize the difference between aggression and mental disability or how to properly deal with either.

nuts
    All that seems to be a training issue, doesn't it? Though again, you're assuming that they harmed someone intentionally due to a failure to recognize a mental disability. I'm assuming it was an accident since they shot the guy on the ground in the leg.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Generally an accident is not a criminal matter, unless it's the Florida law about not leaving a gun accessible to a minor. It's a civil matter. The guy was hit in his leg, the video was released to the press by his lawyer.
    How do you shoot someone by accident and then say you don't know why you shot them afterwards when asked why?

the video was released to the press by his lawyer.

The edited video you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Yet another police shooting thread where we don't actually have a video that clearly shows what happened, and everyone is jumping to conclusions.
    What other conclusions can you make that isn't a cop shot an unarmed man lying on the ground with his hands up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    How do you shoot someone by accident and then say you don't know why you shot them afterwards when asked why?
    Probably because it was an accident. Maybe he had poor gun training and was unfamiliar with how to correctly handle a firearm. Only police and military should have guns and all...

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Probably because it was an accident. Maybe he had poor gun training and was unfamiliar with how to correctly handle a firearm. Only police and military should have guns and all...
    If he has poor gun training why is he allowed a gun?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Source: http://wsvn.com/news/local/video-sho...t-unarmed-man/

Think we've gone past ridiculous at this point ...

It's like a perfect microcosm of mental health + guns + US cops issues ...
    One has to question the mental capacity of Police Officers now. Seriously how are these dumb motherfuckers not on their absolute BEST behavior.

Don't be shit.

Don't get shot.
    How is this a fucking difficult concept?
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    If it happened as the person says it did, the officer involved should face criminal charges. This is why body cams are so vital not just for the protection of a victim's story account, but to back up a officer's story. Is there a clear video backing up the victim's account?
    Was talking to a local LE about body cams, the issue they have is state requirements for the video to be stored for 6 years (I think) and of course it has to be vetted for privacy rights (can't show 'public video" to someone that features inside someones house or a hospital or whatever). So the cameras aren't an issue, but the storage/privacy requirements make it cost way too much to implement. Even some agencies that had body cams before, don't have them since the change in state reqs due to increased cost.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    Don't be shit.

Don't get shot.
    How is this a fucking difficult concept?
    ? How was he shit by doing what he was doing?

If he has poor gun training why is he allowed a gun?
    Police here don't get much training in the first place.

? How was he shit by doing what he was doing?
    He put himself in the position instead of just being like 'ok, cops are there, I should just stand back'.

But no, he was shit. The entire situation could have been avoided if he just 'didn't'.

Braindead.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    He put himself in the position instead of just being like 'ok, cops are there, I should just stand back'.

But no, he was shit.
    He should just let police with no training handle someone that is autistic? How do you think that will unfold?

He should just let police with no training handle someone that is autistic? How do you think that will unfold?
    It would have unfolded with him not getting shot.

Deleted
    Muricans are so disgustingly dumb. Something like this would never happen in Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or explain that he has skills to the police before barging into a potentially dangerous situation.

That being said, this was clearly unjustified. Still, there is no evidence to suggest that this is representative police behavior or that this was racially motivated.

Well probably without him being shot for one. Cops on the scene? It becomes a permissions situation for any third party.

'I am trained to handle developmentally disabled people, may I help?' y/n

No X Factors. No chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's completely reasonable to stick around to try to explain that the person involved is autistic while the whole time maintaining that you're unarmed and keeping your hands in the air.

Honestly, I think the therapist did everything exactly right in this situation.
    I think the main criticism I'd have about the therapist is how close he is to the guy. It makes sense since he was trying to calm him, but that closeness will also agitate him when things get keyed up and increased distance between the two of them would have made it easier on teh police to identify things. The camera views are selective though, not showing when the police arrived nor the actual shooting. The other angle shows the cops on the far side of the guy, but there were also others nearby.

I think the main criticism I'd have about the therapist is how close he is to the guy. It makes sense since he was trying to calm him, but that closeness will also agitate him when things get keyed up and increased distance between the two of them would have made it easier on teh police to identify things. The camera views are selective though, not showing when the police arrived nor the actual shooting. The other angle shows the cops on the far side of the guy, but there were also others nearby.
    Well lets remember it was released by his lawyer..

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I briefly worked a customer service job. At the end of my shift I didn't want to be around any person. It was a low stress job, just having to deal with the general public's idiocy and grotesque personalities.

I can't imagine what it is like to be a Police Officer, dealing with the scum and shit of society every day.
    Now imagine doing it in a bullet proof vest, full black uniform, in Florida's 90+ (F) temperature and humidity. I'm sure the vague 911 call (which sounds similar to some of the "bait" calls recently) didn't help clear minds.

But yeah, fuck that, no way I'd want to be a cop.