Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

American rape victim jailed after having a mental breakdown while testifying

Yeah you read right, a American Judge imprisoned a mentally ill Rape Victim for a Month in General population. Without a trial. Her crime? Being raped and then breaking down and crying at the trial.

And after a brief stay at a hospital, they threw her in Prison and if that is not bad enough they did not put her in the Mental health Unit of the prison but in General population. Were she did not receive the care she needed and was beaten by a Guard and forced to drink from a toilet spigot.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...st-her-rapist/

Deleted
    Shit happens

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Shit happens
    look who is growing up

Deleted
    this is a tough one. It is hard to take anything at face value a mental person says so it might be hard going forward with the trial.

Bad situation for her.

10+ Year Old Account
    An incredibly rare event that pretty much everyone agrees is unnecessary. Not sure what there is to discuss.

That a sick thing to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    look who is growing up
    Well what's to discuss? Bad thing happened, it's sad but rare ergo shit happens

the victim became disoriented and began babbling incoherently. She started crying, stood up from the witness stand and ran through the court to the outside world, screaming behind her that she’d never come back. Eventually, she wandered into traffic in front of the Harris County Criminal Courthouse.

She was involuntarily committed to the psychiatric ward of St. Joseph’s Hospital to stabilize.

After that the prosecution put her in jail so she wouldn't flee cause they wanted her to testify. Not sure why they didn't send her back to the pych ward, maybe they couldn't.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Yeah you read right, a American Judge imprisoned a mentally ill Rape Victim for a Month in General population. Without a trial. Her crime? Being raped and then breaking down and crying at the trial.

And after a brief stay at a hospital, they threw her in Prison and if that is not bad enough they did not put her in the Mental health Unit of the prison but in General population. Were she did not receive the care she needed and was beaten by a Guard and forced to drink from a toilet spigot.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...st-her-rapist/
    This did not go where i thought it would go.
    Still so what?
    should the state have spared her feelings even though it might let a serial rapist out ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Still so what?
    should the state have spared her feelings even though it might let a serial rapist out ?
    I wonder, are you functionally illiterate, or just too lazy to read the linked article?
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It would be helpful if people put the article, or at least the primary points of it and made note that it wasn't the complete thing, in the OP, so that Washington Post can stop trying to demand money from me.
    People here don't carry about facts, just agendas

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Still so what?
    What kind of fucked up country do you come from, that you believe the following is proper for handling for a mentally ill witness?

They did not provide her with proper care, and threw her in with the General population,even tough the prison had a unit for the mentally ill.
    Forced her to drink from a rusty spigot by the toilet,
    She was beaten so badly that she suffered a brain injury,
    booked wrongly and was treated as a defendant instead of a witness.
    and lastly did not have properly trained staff to deal with her mental illness, leading to her getting punched by a guard.

Deleted
    So, they did a lot wrong but this isn't as totally crazy as it sounds on the surface and they weren't imprisoning her for the "crime" of being raped.

The woman went mad during her testimony, ran out of the courthouse and yelled she would never come back again. They imprisoned her to make sure she would be around to testify after her treatment at the hospital, since otherwise she could kill herself, kill the alleged rapist if she had access to him, or flee. I dunno what their thought process was, but there must have been some real scenes and circumstances for her behaviour to be that much of a concern.

If they were going to confine her at a jail (I don't know enough to decide whether that was right), they should have put her in some sort of solitary confinement, with oversight from professional therapists, and prevented any contact with criminals. They were definitely in the wrong to have put her in gen pop as a non-criminal, and all the other stuff that happened is just fucked up.

I hope she gets justice in the end, and gets the treatment she needs to overcome her mental issues.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-07-21 at 07:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    this is a tough one. It is hard to take anything at face value a mental person says so it might be hard going forward with the trial.

Bad situation for her.
    she ended up finishing her testimony and the man ( who turns out to be a serial rapist ) was convicted and sentenced to 2 life sentences.

Just insane she was put in jail "to ensure they got her testimony"... So fucked.

She didn't get jailed because she broke down. She got jailed because she was a flight risk and they needed her testimony to put this guy in prison. They wanted to make sure she would testify.

What he doesn’t agree with is what happened next: Jane Doe was imprisoned in the Harris County jail for 28 days, so the prosecution could ensure she would testify.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    That's pretty terrible; even if they wanted to keep her out of harm's way and keep her around for testimony, putting her in gen-pop is so obviously the wrong solution that everyone involved in that decision should be fired/reprimanded

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    I wonder, are you functionally illiterate, or just too lazy to read the linked article?
    i did read the article - i expected a non victim being punished for lying while still being referred too as a victim.
    then reading the article, the state had the option of letting her go, when she might choose not to testify potentially letting a serial rapist out into society - I'm fine with compelling her testimony then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    What kind of fucked up country do you come from, that you believe the following is proper for handling for a mentally ill witness?
    I know this was poor handling of a mentally ill person - i just understand why the state did it.
    Forced her to drink from a rusty spigot by the toilet,
    I wonder, do you think this is acceptable for the other inmates or not?
    She was beaten so badly that she suffered a brain injury,
    again, is this acceptable for the other inmates?
    booked wrongly and was treated as a defendant instead of a witness.
    did not say this.
    and lastly did not have properly trained staff to deal with her mental illness, leading to her getting punched by a guard.
    instead of writing this a third time, i'm just going to ask, is this a good prison system? (and if you think about this, why is this relevant, would her treatment have been acceptable if she had been convicted of something?)

Since this is Texas, I guess we should be happy they didn't shoot her a bunch of times to compel her testimony.

Texas, figures.

She definitely should not have been jailed. And how reliable does the prosecution think her testimony is going to be after that?