Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

School bans clapping and only allows students ‘silent cheers’ or air punching

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...31b41537b18ad6

School bans clapping and allows students ‘silent cheers’ or air punching but only when teachers agree

CLAPPING has been banned at a Sydney primary school which has introduced “silent cheering”, “pulling excited faces” and “punching the air” to respect students who are “sensitive to noise”.

The school now only allows its pupils “to conduct a silent cheer” when prompted by teachers and says the practice “reduces fidgeting”.

Elanora Heights Public School, which is on Sydney’s northern beaches, announced its new “silent cheer” policy in its latest school newsletter.

The latest example of a political correctness outbreak in Australian schools, which have banned hugging, singing Christmas carols, celebrating Australia Day and singing the word “black” in the nursery rhyme “baa baa black sheep”.

The ban on clapping at Elanora Heights Primary School emerged on the same day that an exclusive girls school banned teachers from calling “ladies” or “women” in favour of “gender-neutral” terms.

In its July 18 newsletter, the Elanora school has published an item under the headline “Did you know” that “our school has adopted silent cheers at assembly’s” (sic).

“If you’ve been to a school assembly recently, you may have noticed our students doing silent cheers,” the item reads.
    “Instead of clapping, the students are free to punch the air, pull excited faces and wriggle about on the spot.
    “The practice has been adopted to respect members of our school community who are sensitive to noise.
    “When you attend an assembly, teachers will prompt the audience to conduct a silent cheer if it is needed.
    “Teachers have also found the silent cheers to be a great way to expend children’s energy and reduce fidgeting.”

The ban follows a direction at exclusive Cheltenham Girls High School in northwest Sydney for teachers to avoid discrimination and support LGBTI students by avoiding the words “girls”, “ladies” or “women”.

The measure followed the introduction of the Safe Schools anti-bullying program and teachers were told at a meeting if they did not comply they could be deemed homophobic and breaking the law.

The school also has a “Queer-Straight alliance” club and holds gender equality events such as Wear it Purple Day

Last month, it lowered the Aboriginal flag to raise the rainbow flag at half-mast following the attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

Local MP Damien Tudehope told the Daily Telegraph that parents feared their daughters might be ostracised if they didn’t comply with Rainbow Day and Purple Day.

Elanora Heights Public School’s ban on clapping in favour of silent cheering comes after several schools have banned hugging.

In April, hugging was banned at a Geelong primary school and children were told to find other ways to show affection.

St Patricks Primary School principal John Grant said “nothing in particular” had caused hugging to be replaced by high fiving or “a knuckle handshake”.

“But in this current day and age we are really conscious about protecting kids and teaching them from a young age that you have to be cautious,” Mr Grant said.

He said he had spoken to teachers about his decision to ban hugging and then the teachers had spoken to classes, instructing the children on different methods of showing affection. He had not sent any correspondence home to parents but said there would now be a letter going home on Monday.

“There’s a range of methods including a high five or a particular knuckle handshake where they clunk knuckles as a simple way of saying ‘well done’,” Mr Grant said. “There are also verbal affirmations and acknowledgments.”

Children at the school have been enthusiastic huggers, he said, with hugs given out to teachers and other children.

“We have a lot of kids who walk up and hug each other and we’re trying to encourage all of us to respect personal space,” Mr Grant said. “It really comes back to not everyone is comfortable in being hugged.”

Deleted
    LOUD NOISES LOUD NOISES

Seriously what BS

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds more like head teacher trying to get media attention nothing more

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was in elementary school we had the 6" rule.

You're only allowed 6" inside another person.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    come on, phrasing

In elementary school I would be able to follow these rules.

Jesus Christ. How did us older generations ever survive with all these scary noises. Oh thats right, we were not pussfied babies coddled to the point of fright of loud noises.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Clapping and cuddles are truly the silent killers of our generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    bunch of shit. So fucking stupid. This world is getting more and more dumb by the day.

Deleted

You're only allowed 6 inch inside another person....

Was it a All boys boarding school

10+ Year Old Account

damn, we werent allowed to penetrate in my elementary school, we saved that for middle school.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, these policies and procedures have been around for a very long time but there was no social media for bad journalist to exploit the stories. The policies are either ignored or are repelled.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    damn, we werent allowed to penetrate in my elementary school, we saved that for middle school.
    6" is hardly worth getting up for

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    The latest example of a political correctness outbreak in Australian schools, which have banned...singing the word “black” in the nursery rhyme “baa baa black sheep”.
    Is this for real?

I'm trying to figure out of Assembly's is correct for Australian English, after leaning "Maths" is correct......

Also, banning hugging because some people don't like it? For fuck sakes, how will these kids ever become functioning adults if they don't have to verbalize "Don't fucking touch me please". As for the ban on clapping, bring it on! All those poor dead air microbes. How about a nice friendly thumbs up?
    Last edited by Ayla; 2016-07-21 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    6" is hardly worth getting up for
    Such a size queen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Such a size queen.
    Hey if im gonna bottom it better be worth it

biggest bit of non-news I've heard for a bit.

They think they can direct social customs drift. How adorable.

This is being done by a private school. Not a public school. Aussie friend told me they try this all the time then get shot down and have to change the rules back.

There isnt anything to freak out over.

Deleted
    Weird this is supposed to be politically correct somehow yet old-school education forbid any sort of public display or unmeasured vocal utterances. It sounds like a reactionary measure rather than anything progressive.