Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't take too much from the Old Gods Hearthstone expansion. I do believe they did say it's not technically canon, it's more of a fun kinda thing. I think it's plainly obvious though, a N'zoth story arc is inevitable. Whenever that happens is up in the air. Not to mention Azshara is likely connected to it as well. I doubt we'll be finished with the Old Gods.

I do wonder if these..Void Lords have the power to revive their little minions.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Ignore the fact that even Y'Shaarj, the deadest of all the Old Gods, still had his consciousness. He whispered through Xal''atoh, meaning all he needed was a physical form to return to. You also need to forget that C'Thun would be alive and well today if Cho'gall had his way. They are dead, of course. But death doesn't really mean much to them.
    With Cho'gall it was a resurrection spell. Such spells work on anything with a body, not just old gods but the little gnome that was punted one too many times. People need to give up this old gods super special thing. Their fanatics ramble about how great they are while Word of God (AKA Blizzard) have confirmed Yogg, C'thun and Y'saarj are dead. If we talk about whispers then Gul'dan prime is still alive if we drive down that route. which no sane warcraft follower would argue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    With Cho'gall it was a resurrection spell. Such spells work on anything with a body, not just old gods but the little gnome that was punted one too many times. People need to give up this old gods super special thing. Their fanatics ramble about how great they are while Word of God (AKA Blizzard) have confirmed Yogg, C'thun and Y'saarj are dead. If we talk about whispers then Gul'dan prime is still alive if we drive down that route. which no sane warcraft follower would argue.
    The difference is that Gul'Dan's skull rambled blindly. The Old Gods whisper with purpose, the skull just left an imprint of the soul it once housed.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    The difference is that Gul'Dan's skull rambled blindly. The Old Gods whisper with purpose, the skull just left an imprint of the soul it once housed.
    No, it doesn't. It actively communicated with Khadgar & Ner'zhul - as in, had proper conversations. At least, so far we haven't been shown the dead Old Gods talked to anyone yet, just one-sided whispers (although, I guess we can argue that they don't see any reason to communicate with us and whispering is enough for their purposes).

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I do wonder if these..Void Lords have the power to revive their little minions.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they can. Even Garrosh almost revived Y'Shaarj with just energy and emotions alone, and the Void Lords are supposed to be masses of void energies.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2016-07-21 at 09:10 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    If we get more old god stuff I expect it to be in another expansion, and not in Legion...
    Why? We fought against Yogg Saron during Wrath of the Lich King. It's not too farfetched to believe that N'Zoth could be a raid boss in the middle tier of Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    !
    Nice headcanon, I suppose?
    Sometimes it looks like Darkside's bajillion threads from few years back, with theories about Old Gods he pulled out of his ass corrupted MMO-C more effectively than actual Old Gods corrupted Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Yeah, because it's not like Blizzard are known for retconning or anything...

Seriously, "Because Blizzard said so" really isn't as strong an arguement as you're pretending it is. The mere fact that the last HS expansion was about Old Gods exclusively is a bigger tell than anything Blizz says - either because they are setting up for N'zoth or because they have plans with all of 'em.
    What Blizzard said has the ultimate relevance in terms of lore. Google "Word of God". Contrary to HS. From WoW perspective it's only a card game people play in taverns etc., a story within a story at best.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2016-07-21 at 10:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Is it really that hard for people to understand that the old gods are fucking dead?
    oh you are back.
    *starts the "how long till he gets banned again" timer*

Formerly known as Arafal

This is so old. Anyone who gives a shit about Old Gods knows this. Did you really need to make a new thread about it? You're really breaking ground here.

And in a few months, or really whenever it benefits Blizzard, the Old Gods will be alive or waiting to resurrect again.

And then after that, they'll be permanently dead again until the next time they're needed.

/shrug

I don't think the old gods are *truly* dead.
    One of the biggest influences in their creation was the Lovecraft mythos and i believe Old Gods have a lot more in common with the Lovecraftian elder gods. I think that while we've beaten the crap out of C'thun and Yogg they can be brought back in time. Even the Titans feared killing more Old Gods in Azeroth and thus created their prisions. If we truly killed the C'thun and Yogg the consequences would be really bad. And not "Cataclysm" bad. Cataclysm was mere the work of N'zoth and Neltharion. In the end i think we only locked them back in their cells.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkrul View Post
    If we truly killed the C'thun and Yogg the consequences would be really bad. And not "Cataclysm" bad. Cataclysm was mere the work of N'zoth and Neltharion. In the end i think we only locked them back in their cells.
    Except Blizzard said their deaths caused Cataclysm. It's not fans' words. It's Blizzard's words (in reply to the "why haven't there been anything bad happened even with two of them down?" question). Thus, they are dead (for now). What you think is just simply incorrect at the moment.

Also, I'd like to point out that while it's clear that originally, the Old Gods were inspired by Lovecraftians, Blizzard seemed to have moved away from that for a while (since post-WoTLK). At the time being, going by Chronicle, they (the OGs) are pretty much reduced to just mass produced disposable tools of the Void Lords. Seeing the Void Lords didn't even care where all those Old Gods lands, and just created & hurled them around the universe randomly.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2016-07-21 at 11:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreSick View Post
    This is so old. Anyone who gives a shit about Old Gods knows this. Did you really need to make a new thread about it? You're really breaking ground here.
    It's not that old. It was updated with WoD. The most recent expansion. Still, it's sad this thread turned into "Old Gods are dead" being repeated over and over. C'thun and Yogg-saron are dead but we left their bodies where they lay. You would be naïve if you think C'Thun and Yogg-saron won't be coming back in someway.

Plenty of "dead" characters in wow have come back.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Shadows gather when the raven swallows the day. Burning sky is extinguished as black wings fold gently about the heavens. Rest, my children, rest. For even the sun must sleep. (Source)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzinoth View Post
    First of all, N'Zoth isn't the only surviving Old God on Azeroth. The only Old God that is dead is Y'shaarj. The others were only beaten back for the time being. They can (and probably will) return.

Also, there are five Old Gods on Azeroth: C'thun, Yogg-Saron, N'Zoth, Y'shaarj, and a fifth that we do not know much of anything about yet. There's a lot of unexplained little things in the storyline, and a whole lot of speculation. But we won't know what's going to happen until it happens.

Personally, I'd like to see some kind of big plot reveal at the end of Legion that states that the Burning Legion re-invading was part of the Old Gods' plans all along. They knew the servants of the Legion would attempt to use the Tomb of Sargeras as a portal through which the masters of the Legion could finally enter Azeroth, and they mean to use it for themselves to enter back into the world. It makes sense that they might do that, anyway. It's said that the Old Gods are incredibly intelligent, and operate through manipulation and schemes that span millenia. Hell, C'thun and Yogg'Saron may have even planned to have their remaining physical bodies (which were under imprisonment) be destroyed so they could come back through the Tomb of Sargeras.
    You clearly missed Chronicles, which retconned almost all the information you just gave
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I heared this voice few days ago when I was in BFD. Thought it was there since Cataclysm
    Yeah, pretty sure it was added in Cataclysm.

Also, BFD. <3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    You clearly missed Chronicles, which retconned almost all the information you just gave
    Link to this Chronicles? <3
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

One possibility I think people are dismissing is the Void Lords sending another Old God at Azeroth in a future xpac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    One possibility I think people are dismissing is the Void Lords sending another Old God at Azeroth in a future xpac.
    I've always considered myself a lore nerd...

What is a Void Lord?
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I've always considered myself a lore nerd...

What is a Void Lord?
    They were introduced in Chronicle. They are the one behind the Old Gods. Their part is a bit long so I will just give you the main points, hope you won't mind.

Basically, they are spirits of the voids, beings made of pure void energy. In their natural state, they are bound to the Void, and can't manifest in our physical universe for long. Only some of the most powerful of them can, and even for those, they can only manifest in our universe for a limited time. In order to manifest in our universe, they need to consume a massive amount of matter and energy. They seek to devour everything in the universe, and (or?) twist reality into a realm of eternal torment.

They were envious of the Titans' power, so they tried to corrupt the Titans to be their tools. In order to do so, they struggled to manifest in our universe and let their energies corrupt things. However, the Titans turned out to be impervious to the Void Lord's corruption. Sargeras found out about them, and was only concerned about their existences, but ultimately decided to continue his demon hunting job instead. Eventually, the Void Lord decided to switch their targets to infant Titans. However, same as the Titans, they didn't know which planet contained a Titan's spirit so they decided to leave it to luck. They created a lot ("unknown number") of Old Gods, then throw them randomly around the universe hoping that some of those would hit a planet with a world soul. If the Old Gods manage to corrupt an infant Titan, it'll mature as a Dark Titan - a being that is more powerful than anything else in creation, and would consume everything and bring everything under the Void Lords' wills. After Sargeras found out about how the Void energy can be used in this manner, he freaked out and eventually started his Burning Crusade.

That was the last thing we knew from the Void Lords. The Naaru consider them a greater threat than even the Legion, including Sargeras. At current rate, Blizzard seem to be introducing them as the new big bad, after the Legion.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2016-07-22 at 02:44 AM.

Deleted
    As someone already said, the Old Gods are just disposable tools for the Void Lords. N'zoth doesn't deserve his own expansion since he's the weakest of the Old Gods that happened to land on Azeroth. Void Lords have to come up with something better and I'm sure they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah, pretty sure it was added in Cataclysm.

Also, BFD. <3

- - - Updated - - -

Link to this Chronicles? <3
    It was added in WoD.

"It is one of three old-world dungeons that have been updated in Warlords of Draenor (the others being Razorfen Downs and Razorfen Kraul) in order to receive storyline progression, much like Ragefire Chasm was in Mists of Pandaria."

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Black_Fathom_Deeps
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Shadows gather when the raven swallows the day. Burning sky is extinguished as black wings fold gently about the heavens. Rest, my children, rest. For even the sun must sleep. (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    They were introduced in Chronicle. They are the one behind the Old Gods. Their part is a bit long so I will just give you the main points, hope you won't mind.

Basically, they are spirits of the voids, beings made of pure void energy. In their natural state, they are bound to the Void, and can't manifest in our physical universe for long. Only some of the most powerful of them can, and even for those, they can only manifest in our universe for a limited time. In order to manifest in our universe, they need to consume a massive amount of matter and energy. They seek to devour everything in the universe, and (or?) twist reality into a realm of eternal torment.

They were envious of the Titans' power, so they tried to corrupt the Titans to be their tools. In order to do so, they struggled to manifest in our universe and let their energies corrupt things. However, the Titans turned out to be impervious to the Void Lord's corruption. Sargeras found out about them, and was only concerned about their existences, but ultimately decided to continue his demon hunting job instead. Eventually, the Void Lord decided to switch their targets to infant Titans. However, same as the Titans, they didn't know which planet contained a Titan's spirit so they decided to leave it to luck. They created a lot ("unknown number") of Old Gods, then throw them randomly around the universe hoping that some of those would hit a planet with a world soul. If the Old Gods manage to corrupt an infant Titan, it'll mature as a Dark Titan - a being that is more powerful than anything else in creation, and would consume everything and bring everything under the Void Lords' wills. After Sargeras found out about how the Void energy can be used in this manner, he freaked out and eventually started his Burning Crusade.

That was the last thing we knew from the Void Lords. The Naaru consider them a greater threat than even the Legion, including Sargeras. At current rate, Blizzard seem to be introducing them as the new big bad, after the Legion.
    Wow. Holy smokes.

So, if Old Gods can put up a fight with the Titans (it would seem) then how would a Titan fair against a Void Lord if somehow they were on equal playing fields?
    "A flower.