Horde Legion FPS for my PC / Need thoughts

Getting around 40-55 Fps, i think it is low for me. What is the problem... thoughts ?

WoW Settings..

Windowed Full Screen - 2560x1440 - Vertical Sync Disabled
    MSAA 8x - Settings at "10" (MAX) - Render Scale %100

Tested with No Addons, Updated Drivers, Fresh WoW
    ----
    CPU = 5930k (Clocked 4000MHz) - (My watercooler broken atm,using air cooler) (Max 65 C)
    GPU = Zotac AMP Extreme GTX 1080 (2025MHz Clock) (Max 65 C) (Gpu usage around %50)
    RAM = Kingston Hyper X Savage 3000MHz DRR4 CL15 - 32gb
    Motherboard = Asus Sabertooth x99
    Storage = Samsung SSD 950 512gb

Update!!!
    Changed "View Distance","Environment Detail","Ground Clutter" from "10" to "7" getting 95 Fps at garrison now. (All other settings remains at max)
    Last edited by Voidlyn; 2016-07-24 at 08:12 AM.

windowed is performance hit, you use a high resolution and higher settings then there used to be, the old ultra was around 7 on a game that is CPU limited for a big part, so your fps seems about as to be expected.

You might try toning down from MSAA to FXAA High instead. I know going from the tip-top SMAA + CMAA down to FXAA High made a big difference in FPS, and at a resolution like 2560x1440 I don't think you're going to see much of a difference due to AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    windowed is performance hit, you use a high resolution and higher settings then there used to be, the old ultra was around 7 on a game that is CPU limited for a big part, so your fps seems about as to be expected.
    Increasing CPU Clock will help ? or just gotta lower slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphonze View Post
    You might try toning down from MSAA to FXAA High instead. I know going from the tip-top SMAA + CMAA down to FXAA High made a big difference in FPS, and at a resolution like 2560x1440 I don't think you're going to see much of a difference due to AA.
    Tried disabling AA, Changed to all AA options, including SSAA.. No fps change at all, Just GPU Usage changed around %20 to %90.

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain how WoW is CPU Limiting?

It uses 25% of my CPU and 99% of my GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post

It does not use all your cores, main thread runs on 1 core and some lighter stuff that can be offloaded on 1-2 more, once the main core hit's 100% or thereabouts you are CPU limited, overal 1 core at 100% with 3 more at 0 gives you 25% average, you need to look at which cores are getting used for and for how much. usually 1 will be high and the others slacking along depending ofc on what your computer is doing.

Ofc if you have a low end GPU and crank everything up wou might end up GPU limited.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidlyn View Post
    Getting around 40-55 Fps, i think it is low for me. What is the problem... thoughts ?
    Where? In what situations?

I'm running a 2500k @ 4.6GHz with a GTX 1070 pushing pretty much identical settings (1080p, but 140% render scale). I average 93fps in a raid setting. I straddle the 60fps line in garrison, though, because phasing in that area has always been terrible. I haven't tried a heavily populated city.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Where? In what situations?

I'm running a 2500k @ 4.6GHz with a GTX 1070 pushing pretty much identical settings (1080p, but 140% render scale). I average 93fps in a raid setting. I straddle the 60fps line in garrison, though, because phasing in that area has always been terrible. I haven't tried a heavily populated city.
    Garrison 50-55, Warspear 40-50, Raids 50-60, Flying 50-60

- - - Updated - - -

It does not use all your cores, main thread runs on 1 core and some lighter stuff that can be offloaded on 1-2 more, once the main core hit's 100% or thereabouts you are CPU limited, overal 1 core at 100% with 3 more at 0 gives you 25% average, you need to look at which cores are getting used for and for how much. usually 1 will be high and the others slacking along depending ofc on what your computer is doing.

Ofc if you have a low end GPU and crank everything up wou might end up GPU limited.
    Thats true. 1 core works at %90 - %100 other 5 changes around %5 - %30. Single core performance CPU's seems better for WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't tried the new WoW yet but the CPU is the limiting factor, but that's a really fast CPU so I blame it on Blizzard needing to update their game engine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post

Because WoW couldn't care about your 4 cores, it only cares about 1 core. Hence why the WoW engine is junk. The graphics go up, but modern PC utilization doesn't.

Deleted
    My friend ... I toyed with it so much I gave up.

Dropped the graphics level slider to 8 and Nothecd the AA down a bit from SSAA 4x + CSAA just to SSAA 4x swapped the , and the game looks good and the GPU rolls around on 40% Load, not even on full frequencies, henceforth the draw is amusingly small, and since I sit in WOW a lot, I'm saving electricity ! ...

I think the engine is just bonkers, no matter what you throw at it.

try setting view distance back to 10, i honestly had no noticeable fps difference from 10-6. environment detail is definitely a killer though! 7 seems good. maybe they over cooked the numbers? so weird that 10 is such a hog

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kondik View Post
    I think the engine is just bonkers, no matter what you throw at it.
    You're using SSAA 4x (quadruple the number of pixels being rendered). I'm not sure what kind of performance you expect. If your base resolution is 1080p, you're trying to render 4k in its place and then down-sample to 1080p.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2016-07-22 at 05:37 PM.

Deleted
    I have worse problem with legion pre-patch... I have huge fps spike drops... game is unplayable at this state. I tried all methods from official forums and nothing works.

In game it looks like that:
    https://youtu.be/AeZafitnpVM

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic View Post
    I have worse problem with legion pre-patch... I have huge fps spike drops... game is unplayable at this state. I tried all methods from official forums and nothing works.

In game it looks like that:
    https://youtu.be/AeZafitnpVM
    ouchie. any out of date addons spitting out 100000 errors per second or anything? scan and repair?

I7 4790k at 4.7 gtx 1080 32gb ram 2400mhz 850 pro ssd. I game at 1440p setting 10 killed my pc. Lowering view distance was a massive fps improvement. View distance 5-10 dosent really matter but it doubled fps

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    I7 4790k at 4.7 gtx 1080 32gb ram 2400mhz 850 pro ssd. I game at 1440p setting 10 killed my pc. Lowering view distance was a massive fps improvement. View distance 5-10 dosent really matter but it doubled fps
    Your system should not have any problems at full ultra, unless you're running SSAA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    You're using SSAA 4x (quadruple the number of pixels being rendered). I'm not sure what kind of performance you expect. If your base resolution is 1080p, you're trying to render 4k in its place and then down-sample to 1080p.
    I'm saying it has No problems with SSAA 4x , the GPU load is nowhere full GPU load, only with Quality pushed to 10 and SSAA 4x & CSAA ( The last and top AA option ) you see a massive performance drop yet the GPU is nowhere 100% load , tops I've seen was 55FPS Dalaran with GPU on 74% and CPU Snoozing at 30. So yes , the engine is bonkers. If it was "good" the GPU load would been capped, then I'd understand that the GPU is not powerfull enough. Now I see they didn't give it much thought, as it's not capping performance on GPU nor CPU yet the FPS drops like an Anvil.

WoW Settings..

Windowed Full Screen - 2560x1440 - Vertical Sync Disabled
    MSAA 8x - Settings at "10" (MAX) - Render Scale %100

Tested with No Addons, Updated Drivers, Fresh WoW
    ----
    CPU = 5930k (Clocked 4000MHz) - (My watercooler broken atm,using air cooler) (Max 65 C)
    GPU = Zotac AMP Extreme GTX 1080 (2025MHz Clock) (Max 65 C) (Gpu usage around %50)
    RAM = Kingston Hyper X Savage 3000MHz DRR4 CL15 - 32gb
    Motherboard = Asus Sabertooth x99
    Storage = Samsung SSD 950 512gb

Update!!!
    Lowering "View Distance" to "7" granted me 10-15 fps (Almost Everywhere)
    Lowering "Environment Detail" to "7" granted me 5-10 fps (Garrison,Warspear,Org)

Changing other setting (Including AA) almost had no effect. (Game barely uses my GPU most of time)
    goto wow set it to graphic settings 10, turn down shadows to low.

You should be seeing about 120-140 fps to be honest.

Lastly update your addons they seem to be causing major issues lately

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    goto wow set it to graphic settings 10, turn down shadows to low.

You should be seeing about 120-140 fps to be honest.

Lastly update your addons they seem to be causing major issues lately
    I am testing without addons.
    Lowering shadows from ultra-high to low granted me 3~ fps.

I am testing without addons.
    Lowering shadows from ultra-high to low granted me 3~ fps.
    There seems to be a bug, sometimes when u change the settings of shadows everything will reset to maximum/ultra settings, close and open the setting again see if you really changed the setting or it bugged.