15+ Year Old Account

Which upgrade(s) is smartest for me right now?

Just bought my new PC this past spring, specs are below:

i7-6700
    GTX 970
    8 gb ram
    Win10
    1 TB 7200 rpm hard drive

Next month I plan on doing some upgrades. I have the budget for either a new GPU, probably a 1070 + PSU. Or more ram + SSD + new keyboard (current KB is cheap as h*ll).

I'm really leaning towards the 2nd set of stuff I posted over the 1070 but wanted to makes sure I'm just being smart. I'm a newb when it comes to desktop stuff as I've been a laptop gamer for years now due to work travels. Whichever option I go with next month, I'll most likely do the other come next Spring.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Do you play on 1080p or higher ?
    What kind of PSU and Keyboard you own already ?

15+ Year Old Account
    I play on 1080p 144hz monitor. The keyboard is the cheap-o thing that came with the PC. I really don't like it. The PSU is a 450w.
    my SWTOR referal link:

15+ Year Old Account
    Get a ssd and upgrade to 16 ram. Will you see a huge boost in fps? No, but nice QoL.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

SSD for QOL for performance Increase GTX 1060,1070 but wow is a cpu heavy game and you already have an i7.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    I play on 1080p 144hz monitor. The keyboard is the cheap-o thing that came with the PC. I really don't like it. The PSU is a 450w.
    I just got
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Devastator...Combo/38358153

And I love it. Got it on sell as well ($25). I got the one that lights up blue because for whatever reason the rest cost $35 lol. I rarely use the light tho.

Only thing I don't like is the letters/numbers on the keys is gray and not white. So unless the light is on you can't see what key is what lol.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-07-22 at 01:28 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just bought my new PC this past spring, specs are below:

i7-6700
    GTX 970
    8 gb ram
    Win10
    1 TB 7200 rpm hard drive

Next month I plan on doing some upgrades. I have the budget for either a new GPU, probably a 1070 + PSU. Or more ram + SSD + new keyboard (current KB is cheap as h*ll).

I'm really leaning towards the 2nd set of stuff I posted over the 1070 but wanted to makes sure I'm just being smart. I'm a newb when it comes to desktop stuff as I've been a laptop gamer for years now due to work travels. Whichever option I go with next month, I'll most likely do the other come next Spring.
    There should be no such thing as a computer without an SSD. That is your absolute top priority over everything else. Your OS needs to go on a Samsung 850 EVO as soon as humanly possible.

On a keyboard note, I am beyond in love with my Corsair K70. I went with the standard red backlighting, didn't need an RGB since my case theme is red and black anyway. I went with the blue switches, and they are great. Very noisy, but I like the loud click and they are absolutely perfect for my heavy fingers. I had the red switches at first, and just the weight of my fingers resting on the keys would push them and I did not like it.

Upgrading from a 9xx to the equivalent 10xx is regarded as pretty bad advice by most. Of course there is a performance gain anytime you upgrade to a new generation and the 9-series to 10-series was a bigger leap than most, but it's still only one generation behind. I wouldn't sweat it that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I just got
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Devastator...Combo/38358153

And I love it. Got it on sell as well ($25). I got the one that lights up blue because for whatever reason the rest cost $35 lol. I rarely use the light tho.

Only thing I don't like is the letters/numbers on the keys is gray and not white. So unless the light is on you can't see what key is what lol.
    I just purchased that for my cousin for a super-budget build. Blue, red, and green are all $29.99 on Amazon.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I opened it up to test the keyboard and mouse and I am really not impressed. The mouse is pretty much unusable for me, but that might be because my primary is a Logitech G502 that fits my hand like a glove. I have a claw grip so I have stuck with the G500 series since they came out.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

15+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, nice keyboard. I've been curious about that brand.

Also been on the fence about SSD's for a few years now. It seems like everytime I hear a good thing about an SSD, I hear some problems also. This has just been my experience. I think I will go ahead with the 2nd set of upgrades.

Thanks for all the replies.
    my SWTOR referal link:

Awesome, nice keyboard. I've been curious about that brand.

Also been on the fence about SSD's for a few years now. It seems like everytime I hear a good thing about an SSD, I hear some problems also. This has just been my experience. I think I will go ahead with the 2nd set of upgrades.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Get an ssd, seriously the difference is staggering, i am not tech savy at all and it took me a long time in finally invest in one, it installed so easy, never had any issues with it and for me outside off spending a huge amount of money on an expensive gpu, the ssd was the biggest performance gain i have ever seen.

I can not stress this enough, an ssd is essential piece of kit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing, don't spend money. The hardware you have is really good, and only a 1070 or 1080 would be an actual upgrade.