Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is Unholy strictly superior in dps numbers to Frost?

I've never played UH but I'm considering giving it a shot if it's superior to Frost.

Right now yes. Unholy has arbiter + ring for ST, but come legion it won't have ring (and the retarded burst those 2 abilities bring)

Quote Originally Posted by CausalXXLinkXx View Post
    Right now yes. Unholy has arbiter + ring for ST, but come legion it won't have ring (and the retarded burst those 2 abilities bring)
    Does that mean Frost will pull ahead in Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracovian View Post
    Not necessarily.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not even just those. Frost's reliance on procs to do decent damage is a bit absurd right now. Esepcially since the procs aren't as "reliable" as before.

probably not.

Probably on ST.

Today unholy is better but in Legion we dont know...
    Wait and see

Probably on ST.
    Probably not even on ST.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see frost death knights as the equivalent of fire mages. Once you reach certain gear levels, your crit and haste will put you ahead over the other specs. Just hope this doesn't become apparent in the first tier otherwise crit values will be nerfed probably.

As for the rest damage wise is not the reason i prefer unholy over frost, unholy has more movement speed. Better defensives as Unholy, Corpse Shield is 90% to pet and macro it together with the pet DR that is either 50% or 60% when DT'ed. Just means you can soak a whole lot. Basically using this as a replacement for deathpact during raids/dungeons.

Simply find frost too spammy also, but haven't played it enough. I prefer the minimal management you have on unholy more, feels rewarding if you keep diseases up and don't overcap FW.

In theory frost might get higher burst later on due to empowered rune but having higher ST while giving up more controlled AoE, we'll have to see what's worth it more. With M+ dungeons i'm feeling the safer bet also due to entry gear levels it being unholy.

Well, we currently have endgame levels of stats, so if frost doesn't get super amazing scaling boosts now, its unlikely we will see them in legion. Crit has also no god tier scaling for frost. Crits triggering KM was a countermeasure to KM devaluing crit. We still don't have double dipping on crits, so it won't scale out of proportion ever.

How numbers will look in legion are still up in the air. We will have different tiersets, we will have the artifact, we will have different encounters and we will see more balance changes. Stuff like clawing shadows might get nerfed or other talents buffed/changed. They buffed/nerfed one of our dps specs to bring them closer in the past and while it more often than not didnt really work its still something we can expect if the difference is anywhere close to what it is now.

Overall unholy feels just a better choice. It can customize really well which makes it quite flexible and has overall a better tool kit. Even if frost gets to beat unholy by a few % in some scenarios in theory it might turn out otherwise in-game.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never played UH but I'm considering giving it a shot if it's superior to Frost.

At this time I'd say yes... go UH till legion. For reasons mentioned above and my own personal raid experience. I raid with two other dks both UH and had to switch specs on M Archie to keep up with them. The burst and aoe is just that good as of now. And yes, still using mythic vial
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

unholy needs alot of haste to keep the runes fresh but other wise the dmg is nice i guess

It's not even close right now. Dark arbiter + ring is so fucking ridculous for unholy. Pre patch frost isn't where near it. frost will probably pull ahead of unholy in single target at the beginning of legion because of the loss of the ring. Unholy will probably stay very close because of our artifact on use ability. But by the time everyone starts getting the legendary shoulders that buffs up our arbiter and army of the dead by 50% when in dark transformation, my bet is on unholy being both superior in st and aoe again. We shall see though.

- - - Updated - - -

Mythic vial is near the middle/bottom of the totem pole when it comes to trinks but I bet the on use is still very good. Skull of war + stone are just way better right now which is not surprising due to all other trinkets getting nerfed.

I always played as frost and right I cant pull any damage :P

Even I am not experienced with Unholy (I know everyone is not that much either cause of the changes), i am doing way better as UH than Frost.

Still like frost more

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verdose View Post
    It's not even close right now. Dark arbiter + ring is so fucking ridculous for unholy. Pre patch frost isn't where near it. frost will probably pull ahead of unholy in single target at the beginning of legion because of the loss of the ring. Unholy will probably stay very close because of our artifact on use ability. But by the time everyone starts getting the legendary shoulders that buffs up our arbiter and army of the dead by 50% when in dark transformation, my bet is on unholy being both superior in st and aoe again. We shall see though.

- - - Updated - - -

Mythic vial is near the middle/bottom of the totem pole when it comes to trinks but I bet the on use is still very good. Skull of war + stone are just way better right now which is not surprising due to all other trinkets getting nerfed.
    have vial macro'd in with Arbiter and blood fury. she "hits like a freight train. thats on fire." plus haste is good for us big time! the plan to use Anzu's has been scrapped. UeH and EDH are =/-400 DPS around Vial so why not? skull of war and stone is 3,000 above all three of those
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I see frost death knights as the equivalent of fire mages. Once you reach certain gear levels, your crit and haste will put you ahead over the other specs. Just hope this doesn't become apparent in the first tier otherwise crit values will be nerfed probably.

As for the rest damage wise is not the reason i prefer unholy over frost, unholy has more movement speed. Better defensives as Unholy, Corpse Shield is 90% to pet and macro it together with the pet DR that is either 50% or 60% when DT'ed. Just means you can soak a whole lot. Basically using this as a replacement for deathpact during raids/dungeons.

Simply find frost too spammy also, but haven't played it enough. I prefer the minimal management you have on unholy more, feels rewarding if you keep diseases up and don't overcap FW.

In theory frost might get higher burst later on due to empowered rune but having higher ST while giving up more controlled AoE, we'll have to see what's worth it more. With M+ dungeons i'm feeling the safer bet also due to entry gear levels it being unholy.
    The damage your pet takes from Corpse Shield can't be reduced by DR's afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Slagge View Post
    Probably not even on ST.
    What makes you say that? Unh ST isn't that great in legion last we checked :O

What makes you say that? Unh ST isn't that great in legion last we checked :O
    Problem is, how many fights are truly single target every tier? In HFC we had one true single target fight. Technically two, Reaver and Zakuun. However Reaver can essentially have cleave damage if bombs land in melee range this why I say only one true single target fight.

Deleted
    Da is terrible. Unholy needs a huge buff to be competitive.

Just in case any bliz devs happen to glance at this forum occasionally ;(

You all know what is coming in the next few days...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Da is terrible. Unholy needs a huge buff to be competitive.

Just in case any bliz devs happen to glance at this forum occasionally ;(

You all know what is coming in the next few days...
    DA terrible? it just does alot of dmg.