Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Ah well, at least it gives me time to get used to all the systems in this game. Now I got a prowler mode quest though...and there's a ton of tutorials for that too...yay :P

One thing I didn't understand from the tutorial, how do I mount a boss? I accidentally did it once, but not sure why that worked. Also, what do I do once I'm on it?

What's everyone's favourite weapon? I found most of them really slow (especially lance), so in the end went with dual blades. That insect glaive thingy was also lots of fun. Will look into that one more.
    Mounting a boss requires you to leap from a ledge and perform an aerial attack on the monster - if it connects, then the mount minigame starts. However you cannot do it back to back. You can also use the aerial style which changes your evade animation to leap over monsters or the Kinsect Staff weapon which has a specific attack propelling you in the air.

As for weapons, i basically like them all. The change in playstyle is immense and basically when used correctly, every weapon is good (while some may be more effective against certain monsters). Dual swords are fast, but the they deal less damage per hit, have a faster sharpness drop and don't let you block attacks. Also they've the shortest range in game. Lance on the other side has a huge range and its defensive capabilities are insane.

It's all about getting used to the playstyle and be effective with the weapons. Everything is pretty balanced, in 4U they added the charge blade which was honestly over the top but they nerfed it on MHG.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

@Waervyn To add on to what coldkil said, you get a white / yellow splash instead of the normal blood when you do an aerial attack by either aerial style or leaping off a ledge. That means you did "mounting dmg", every time you mount a monster it requires an increasing amount of mounting dmg before you'll mount it again. So the first time will come fairly quickly, but the second will take significantly longer and each subsequent will continue to take longer.

I prefer DB's, but I've always been a DB guy in ARPG'S. I've dabbled in other weapons, mostly insect glaive and charge blade but I always go back to DB. Sword and shield is equally fast to DB and a little safer / potentially easier to learn on if you enjoy sword and board. I'm probably gonna branch out into more weapons in this game because the hunter styles have made them more interesting for me for no apparent reason but that won't come til later.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    @Waervyn To add on to what coldkil said, you get a white / yellow splash instead of the normal blood when you do an aerial attack by either aerial style or leaping off a ledge. That means you did "mounting dmg", every time you mount a monster it requires an increasing amount of mounting dmg before you'll mount it again. So the first time will come fairly quickly, but the second will take significantly longer and each subsequent will continue to take longer.

I prefer DB's, but I've always been a DB guy in ARPG'S. I've dabbled in other weapons, mostly insect glaive and charge blade but I always go back to DB. Sword and shield is equally fast to DB and a little safer / potentially easier to learn on if you enjoy sword and board. I'm probably gonna branch out into more weapons in this game because the hunter styles have made them more interesting for me for no apparent reason but that won't come til later.
    Thanks!
    More questions. I'm probably overthinking this. What is the use of prowler missions? The one I did was exactly the same as hunter mission (gather stuff). Why did they introduce an entire mechanic just to do the same missions? I feel like I'm missing something. Is there an advantage to doing missions as a cat?

Also, what's the use of going to different villages? It seems like I can accept exactly the same missions over there (barring one special quest).

Prowler missions are just so you can play as a palico. The only advantage to playing as a prowler is that they don't use stamina and they have infinite bug nets / pick axes so its better especially early on to hop on a prowler to tackle any gathering you want to do. The prowler specific missions aren't mandatory though, only do them if you enjoy it / are a completionist. And remember you can always come back to them later, I skipped the 3* prowler quests for now because I had my fill of gathering and figured I'd go back to it.

You'll get different quests from different villages, that's the biggest thing. The request will have the village symbol that it came from on the left when you go to do a quest which will progress the quests of that village. Like I said before, they didn't really do any linear quest structure in this game like they did in 4u so its not as clear.

In 4u they sent you to a similar amount of villages except you completed a bunch of quests in the one village until you finished its story and then progressed to the next. This game is more free form where you just go to whatever village and do whatever you want or you can do all of them simultaneously or what have you.

Yeah biggest thing I'd recommend to anyone suffering from gathering burnout is to pretty much ignore your gathering quests till you get the completionist itch later on. I did finally start 4* last night. Did the harvest tour to mine some of that sweet, sweet dragonite ore and I'll probably do the same with the wycademy point quest since apparently anything and everything weapon related wants dragonite ore right now.

I also really need to be a lot less aggressive about Adept bow as Glavenus was wrecking me since I'm not familiar with all his tells. Came in all ready to deal with the extra hp and had stuff to capture him...2 carts later just decided to finish the quest. I'll get'em later though.

Also thinking about switching or just for some quests using Charge Blade. I just don't know which style I think will be my favorite for it.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

I'm more and more fond of aerial style. While mounting takes increased time, many quests have the "mount x2" secondary objective and being able to just use the monster as a trampoline makes it incredibly easier.

I tried some stuff out, and i found that aerial style workes really good with slower weapons. The mounting damage attack scales with the weapon you use, and a knocked down monster = way easier aimed blows to head/tail/horns. It's really great for farming specific items. I'm likely to switch to katana/longsword since i'm still at beginning an i've basically upgraded nothing yet.

As @Baconeggcheese said, it's the first MH game where i want to dabble with different weapons in a single save; all other games i cleared all using a single weapon tree of choice.

EDIT: ah, and finally Kiranico is updated. http://mhgen.kiranico.com/ HAVE FUN

So in 2 days i have barely touched the game which for monhun is a first. I just look at all the farming stuff and go play FFXIV or overwatch instead. I'm usre its just a hump i need to get over but this is the first time in the series i've had a 'hump' in any capacity.

I still feel i havent seen enough to judge it but i would definitely recommend 4u to a new player instead. This is not a good intro tho the franchise so far and that sucks :/

Yeah my friend that got me into MH has just been playing overwatch as he can't find the drive to get through the beginning, which is kinda weak as I was expecting we'd be playing a bunch.

Will say that once I got to the 4* stuff it started feeling like MH again. Was running around killing mobs to craft / upgrade weapons to fight specific monsters and all that. Maybe just do the key quests for the first bit to get to 4* and start from there then work backwards later on?

Deleted
    I'm starting to see the fun in the game. Just killed my third true hunt. Some kind of sand-shark creature.
    Sometimes the combat feels a bit clunky to me, as you can't change the direction you're slashing during a combo. Furthermore everything takes a lot of time such as sheathing your weapon, drinking a potion etc. However, that all comes into play with the battles, as you really have to choose well when to do what.

I didn't really like this boss so much though, as he spends a lot of time under the sand, so you're just waiting for it to come out again so you can continue the fight.

Yeah i think thats the Cephaladrome, definitely one of the weaker boss monsters. Though Nibelsnarf in the same area is worse. Daimyao hermitaur however is a pretty good 'did you learn your weapon' fight though. And an important lesson to new hunters not to tunnel vision and learn sometimes you gotta back off.

I didn't really like this boss so much though, as he spends a lot of time under the sand, so you're just waiting for it to come out again so you can continue the fight.
    By the by when he's in the sand his fin still sticks out like a cliche shark movie and you can just rail into the fin and he'll come flopping out. Though he moves around a lot to try and prevent you from doing that.

Chepladrom and Nibelsnarf...probably my least two favorite monsters in monster hunter. Glad they're done for now (probably until high level), but I literally made an ice swaxe to take care of nibelsnarf since I didn't want to bother with the bow.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoever thought it was a good idea to lock progression behind a bunch of bullshit village requests LIKE TRANSPORTING AN EGG WITH A FUCKING ASTALOS CHASING YOU needs to die in a fire.

By the by making the loc lac set for transporter and then eating for all 3 of the transporting food thingies is the greatest thing ever for those quests.

@Leblue whatsup with nibelsnarf thats a problem for bows? Having a hard time imagining it unless the arrows just go over it or something.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Ever play 4U? the double crimson Khezu was insufferable.

"oh hey lets throw a paintba-" "NORMIES OUT OF MY CAVE RRRREEEEEEEEEEEE" and when it stops screetching in comes the second to start and when it finishes the other starts again.

That mission was hell before earplugs.
    I'm not sure who I hate more, the Khezu or the Gigginox.

But now I shall never see the Khezu without thinking about the normies thing, so thanks for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leblue View Post
    Chepladrom and Nibelsnarf...probably my least two favorite monsters in monster hunter. Glad they're done for now (probably until high level), but I literally made an ice swaxe to take care of nibelsnarf since I didn't want to bother with the bow.
    Hmm, is there a way (in game) to find out what monsters are vulnerable to? At least from this comment I gather they might have weakness against certain elements?

Hmm, is there a way (in game) to find out what monsters are vulnerable to? At least from this comment I gather they might have weakness against certain elements?
    I usually check the armour made from them. Like tetsucabra armour is the first fire resist set so naturally dont use fire on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm not sure who I hate more, the Khezu or the Gigginox.

But now I shall never see the Khezu without thinking about the normies thing, so thanks for that.
    Crimson frenzy virus pepe is truly rare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    By the by making the loc lac set for transporter and then eating for all 3 of the transporting food thingies is the greatest thing ever for those quests.

@Leblue whatsup with nibelsnarf thats a problem for bows? Having a hard time imagining it unless the arrows just go over it or something.
    Thats the problem, its like a flatfish so getting critical distance is a pain compared to every other large monster.

Kiranico usually

Yeah an online resource would be able to tell you, but being able to look at any of the armor will tell you the weaknesses of about 90% of all monsters (I think Altareon is the exception here).

Here ya go. http://imgur.com/gallery/j8cAO/new

I have it as my desktop background personally.