Thread: New Affliction

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

New Affliction

Hi.

I was levelling a warlock recently before pre-patch came out, did main a warlock in MoP and recently thought of switching to affliction.
    Right now I'm at level 93, trying to get used to the new affliction, and, well, it feels a little bit...

Lackluster? Compared to pre-Legion affliction, it was all active and fun and affliction had a nice flow to it, now DoTs last shorter and hell, I've managed to run out of mana a few times while trying to get used to having Life Tap as a relevant spell after it's been useless for a few expansions.

Anyone else feels/thinks that Affliction is abit off?

Quote Originally Posted by LividCynic View Post
    Hi.

I was levelling a warlock recently before pre-patch came out, did main a warlock in MoP and recently thought of switching to affliction.
    Right now I'm at level 93, trying to get used to the new affliction, and, well, it feels a little bit...

Lackluster? Compared to pre-Legion affliction, it was all active and fun and affliction had a nice flow to it, now DoTs last shorter and hell, I've managed to run out of mana a few times while trying to get used to having Life Tap as a relevant spell after it's been useless for a few expansions.

Anyone else feels/thinks that Affliction is abit off?
    I actually like the new Affi over the WoD one tbh, feels more smooth and less brain dead in certain situations (ST mainly), though its damage is lack luster and all lock specs besides maybe destro atm spend massive amounts of mana, which is fine by me since I feel it fits the role of warlocks to be unefficient with mana and simply making more at dire costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    I actually like the new Affi over the WoD one tbh, feels more smooth and less brain dead in certain situations (ST mainly), though its damage is lack luster and all lock specs besides maybe destro atm spend massive amounts of mana, which is fine by me since I feel it fits the role of warlocks to be unefficient with mana and simply making more at dire costs.
    Lorewise its fine but mechanically it sucks balls. Lifetap is an incredibly outdated mechanic that should have disappeared a long time ago.

Nothing feels worse than having to waste a GCD just to get mana back and do nothing else.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Lorewise its fine but mechanically it sucks balls. Lifetap is an incredibly outdated mechanic that should have disappeared a long time ago.

Nothing feels worse than having to waste a GCD just to get mana back and do nothing else.
    Exactly what I feel is odd about it. While Lifetap used to be fun, they should just give us our mana regen back, since I don't know atm how it fares at lvl 100 or lvl 110, but you just lose mana so quickly and regen bugger all.

I don't like the feel of the new affliction or destruction, in fact i would go as far as to say i flat out hate them.

I had to pick up and play Demo for last nights raid just so i didn't totally scrap the character i've had as my main since TBC, and i haven't played demo the entire time outside of a little testing in Highmaul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenzha View Post
    I don't like the feel of the new affliction or destruction, in fact i would go as far as to say i flat out hate them.

I had to pick up and play Demo for last nights raid just so i didn't totally scrap the character i've had as my main since TBC, and i haven't played demo the entire time outside of a little testing in Highmaul.
    Reckon if Affliction had Shadow Priest mechanics like in WoD you'd still play it?

new UA ruins it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by striderZA View Post
    Not gonna watch anything FinalBoss, the guy is a Blizzard fuckboy. My advice is to check out icy-veins.com then take what you've learned from there and apply it to your experience. Nothing beats playing with a spec until you get it right.

Deleted
    It'd be nice if they simply reverted everything back to pre-prepatch for Affli while keeping the talents - never thought I'd miss something that much.

Other than a bit of DoT synergy with UA, the specc has no flavour and Demo just feels like a superior option.

Quote Originally Posted by LividCynic View Post
    It'd be nice if they simply reverted everything back to pre-prepatch for Affli while keeping the talents - never thought I'd miss something that much.

Other than a bit of DoT synergy with UA, the specc has no flavour and Demo just feels like a superior option.
    Pls god no, affi has been boring as hell since MoP, it is far from perfect now but way better than it was.

Deleted
    Ideally the Warlock should have the highest dps throughput because of resource management and the loss of a gcd.
    If it is indeed the case then it is good design, however don't worry about numbers at lvl 100, specs are tuned for 110 + artifacts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
    Ideally the Warlock should have the highest dps throughput because of resource management and the loss of a gcd.
    If it is indeed the case then it is good design, however don't worry about numbers at lvl 100, specs are tuned for 110 + artifacts
    Personally for me, a specc's damage isn't as important as it's rotation. As someone who plays elemental for 3 years now, I'm used to a nice rotation that makes sense and synergizes with itself while not being interrupted due to a loss of GCD.

I really loathe pre-patch class changes and I have since well...ever. And as pre-patch time gets longer and longer, it gets worse. As stated everything is tuned for 110 + Artifacts, at least normally it is tuned for max level, adding the artifact tuning. Yuck. I'm basically logging to do my minor crafting AH upkeep and get the event stuff an out. Can't wait for legion and excited about the expansion, but glad I got every character leveled I wanted, gross pre-patch class changing and balancing.

I'm still in a debate on my Legion specs for my Warlock if he remains the main, might end up Blood if the guild needs it, Looking like Destro and Demo...but I could be wrong. I prefer affliction, but looks to be the lower end on DPS.

Zoldor, I've scavenged the interwebs for a multitude of resources regarding affliction DPS and I'm going to have to disagree with you on the notion that affliction is the lowest of all three specs. There are a few youtube videos with affliction warlocks POV in dungoens/raids and they seem to do just fine (if not topping the meters). Of course if you're talking about current state of the game than i have no comment. However, as a long time player I'm actually really looking forward to maining a warlock and especially excited about affliction but we'll see how things turn out.

I'm adapting. I'm starting to like it more. I will say that a contagion build seems rather stressful/manic to me at the moment so I may back out of that to the corruption talent until I feel like giving a try again. I feel like all I do is dot, dot dot, UA, etc. non-stop with no channeling.

Quote Originally Posted by kritisk View Post
    I'm adapting. I'm starting to like it more. I will say that a contagion build seems rather stressful/manic to me at the moment so I may back out of that to the corruption talent until I feel like giving a try again. I feel like all I do is dot, dot dot, UA, etc. non-stop with no channeling.
    This is especially true if you are using the Archimond class trinket, 20% shorter DoTs when you are trying to maintain 7 DoTs just for single target (UA, Corruption, Agony, Siphon + Corruption, Agony, Siphon on the soul) gets a little crazy. Even moreso on council fights, I did the council in HFC yesterday, and I could not do anything other than DoT and even then, I missed several refreshes throughout the encounter.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cerenitie
    Shyara

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    This is especially true if you are using the Archimond class trinket, 20% shorter DoTs when you are trying to maintain 7 DoTs just for single target (UA, Corruption, Agony, Siphon + Corruption, Agony, Siphon on the soul) gets a little crazy. Even moreso on council fights, I did the council in HFC yesterday, and I could not do anything other than DoT and even then, I missed several refreshes throughout the encounter.
    I did council with the class trinket and effigy as well, you need to remember that it doesn't matter if you're constantly redotting anymore, drain life is just a filler to increase dps when you literally have nothing to do. It was definitely hectic but not having to worry about getting that dank as fuck drain soul during procs/ring anymore is really refreshing IMO, in other words it plays like a dot spec instead of a nuke spec, which is how it was always supposed to have played.

I did council with the class trinket and effigy as well, you need to remember that it doesn't matter if you're constantly redotting anymore, drain life is just a filler to increase dps when you literally have nothing to do. It was definitely hectic but not having to worry about getting that dank as fuck drain soul during procs/ring anymore is really refreshing IMO, in other words it plays like a dot spec instead of a nuke spec, which is how it was always supposed to have played.
    This is good to know. I actually have not used a meter because I want to try to get a rotation down before I worry about that. So I felt like non-stop dotting was likely a DPS fail when I got around to checking.

Deleted
    So our job now is to make sure Agony and Corruption is up 100% of the time while applying Unstable Affliction? Drain Soul is just there as a mana drainer?