Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I don't know, from what little I saw of PMQs over the last year "BUILD SOME MORE FUCKING HOUSES" has been a recurrent theme...
    Pretty much everyone is in agreement with that except two groups of people. The pensioners and wannabe upper class snob villagers who have gone full NIMBY. They both scream "Build more housing." but when they are told the best place for new homes is in the areas around them they suddenly revert to "NOT HERE! KICK OUT FOREIGNERS INSTEAD!". in a louder scream

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    "Dramatic deterioration in economic activity, not seen since the aftermath of the financial crisis."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36864273

The Chancellor may 'reset' Britain's economic policy in the autumn. Goodbye spending restraint, it's time to borrow more.

In b4 "oh, but the FTSE 100 / 250 are doing fine, so everything's ok".

We are about to enter a recession entirely of our own making.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

Pound taking another dive, too.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Pound taking another dive, too.
    But but but employment numbers from march to may are great!

Oh and also this:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36864273

Brexit causes dramatic drop in UK economy, data suggests
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2016-07-22 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    "Dramatic deterioration in economic activity, not seen since the aftermath of the financial crisis."

The Chancellor may 'reset' Britain's economic policy in the autumn. Goodbye spending restraint, it's time to borrow more.

Also that's the stockmarket argument is a stupid argument given that it reacts to expecations.

The market reacted negatively because of the idea that the Brexit would happen ''soon'', but as it is now that hasn't happend yet so it will recover from the original shock.

The UK is still in the EU, it still benefits from being part of the EU and the economy my be standing still (hence the recession warnings) that's a more of a long term impact and short term it won't change much.

The PMI is a survey of business sentiment, its not hard economic data. The majority of businesses wanted to stay in the EU, of course they're going to be pessimistic in the month after the referendum. The Chief Economist of the report has also said that confidence began to lift later in the month as the new government began to take shape, so hopefully that will continue now there is greater political stability.

Add to that even though the IMF has downgraded the UK's growth for next year, we're still predicted to grow slightly more than Germany, France and Italy. Not trying to say there isn't going to be a slight downturn because its likely there will be, but the sky isn't falling in.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh dear not looking great for the EU then is it, when the UK sneezes Europe tends to get pneumonia, wonder if it will be fatal this time?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    The PMI is a survey of business sentiment, its not hard economic data.
    It asked them: "Is the level of business activity at your company higher, the same or lower than one month ago?"
    It also asked manufacturers whether production had gone up or down.
    How is that sentiment?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    The PMI is a survey of business sentiment, its not hard economic data. The majority of businesses wanted to stay in the EU, of course they're going to be pessimistic in the month after the referendum. The Chief Economist of the report has also said that confidence began to lift later in the month as the new government began to take shape, so hopefully that will continue now there is greater political stability.
    But that's not my understanding of what the PMI is. It is based on hard economic data, isn't it? It's a measure of output, new orders, employment and prices across different sectors. Economists then interpret the data to draw conclusions on the conditions in an economy? Businesses being "pessimistic" would be them saying before the referendum: 'the sky's going to fall in'.

Correct me if I'm wrong... it's just my understanding of it.

Add to that even though the IMF has downgraded the UK's growth for next year, we're still predicted to grow slightly more than Germany, France and Italy. Not trying to say there isn't going to be a slight downturn because its likely there will be, but the sky isn't falling in.
    Very much hope you're right.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

answer

Quote Originally Posted by helloworld32 View Post
    To the people who hope Brexit get immigration down to thousands instead of hundreds of thousands, this will never happen:

We already have 10s of thousands of people coming here on student visas alone, to support our universities, many of which are world leading. Without that, UK student fees will increase even more and we will lose valuable future minds. We also have an ageing population, so we need an increasing number of doctors and other medical staff to look after them. Our homegrown doctors (who are unfortunately getting increasingly small in number) tend to move to places with a better quality of life, better pay, and more space. The UK does not have a good quality of life due to population density, pushing up the price of fairly mediocre housing, time taken to travel anywhere due to congestion, and lack of truly wild green spaces (go to a national park and be prepared to say "hi!" to a LOT of people)

The UK is already overcrowded, and due to demographics, regardless of whether we are in the EU or not, is going to get more overcrowded. Certain sectors of society have many more children, who will then also have more children, and so on, and we are a small island with limited space. We already lost the war on "too many people", and immigration is only a small part of that now. To think leaving the EU will change this is crazy.

What being in the EU meant was that you could have a bolt hole from this tiny overcrowded island. Increasingly, people can do their work from anywhere in the world, which means you dont need to partake in the insane UK property market that is a cash haven for Middle Eastern, Russian, and Asian billionaires, due to the British mentality over property. After leaving the EU, now even that possibility is gone for 95% of Brits, just so Gary et al who work at Tesco and have one holiday in spain every 3 years doesn't have to compete with Eastern Europeans over £0.50 extra an hour. You could have lived anywhere in a massive, massive landmass Gary.

Utterly insane and extraordinary.

I'm angry? but agree