Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    lol
    It's kind of quaint to read it now. So much of it has actually been retconned over the years, and not just Illidan stuff. Things like all the Old God stuff in it is now completely invalid, which (truth be told) makes a lot of the sub-plot invalid as well.
    On the other hand, there are other things I enjoyed about it. I can see me reading it when I was, say, 13 years old, and thinking it was the best thing ever.
    the only thing I liked in WotA trilogy was the part where Illidan got his new eyes and tattoos from Sargeras. other things like retconing Illidan's, Tyrande's and Malfurion's age, Rhonin, Broxingar, Azshara stronger than Mannoroth and etc are bullshit.

What's wrong with her being stronger than Mannoroth, the demon who is one shot by an orc twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    I did like him as a character. I don't like him now. You confuse being important with being ridiculous. Khadgar is important. Medivh was important. Malfurion was important. Aegwynn was important. Then there were Thrall and Med'an who were destined out of nowhere to do X because of whatever reason.

- - - Updated - - -

They are not glossing over them. They are retconnig them to make the actions actually justified which is worse.
    If you're talking about the shit we thought he did in TBC, then no, they're barely retconning anything. The story of that entire expansion was all over the place, Illidan's part most of all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    It just doesn't make sense to me.

It's fine to have characters that are above everybody else. I mean, there always have been some heroes in pretty much any story - hell, even in the bible we have a man who can split seas in two and a man who can live outside his body!

So when I see people being angry at Illidan being such an important character, I don't get it. His story make sense. It's not as if he was born overpowered either. Honestly, if you've followed his story, you'd know that Illidan is probably one of the characters who suffered the most and I don't speak of the Tyrande part.

We all knew that the story was bigger than the Burning Legion too. I mean, hell, the VOID is the biggest enemy in the universe. That's where old gods are created. And with Azeroth being a she-titan who has not yet awakened, it's more than just the bad guys on Azeroth. We're beyond that at this point.

The burning legion is just the beginning and we will need stronger characters than just us to wipe them. If that mean that we have to empower some heroes, why would that be a travesty?
    He's a jerk.

i hate what he has become, another fucking peon of whatever force is using him this time

illidan is a awesome charecter, he did what was needed to be done, if people liked it or not, and i hated he got butchered in BC (in more then one way ;3) and im super happy hes getting a redemption story... allthough this jesus holy illidan is abit too far for my liking... but eh who knows, could be really cool, we will see

yes he was selfish for power, yes he wants to be the one to destroy the legion, no one else, why he only trusted a few of his own students even slightly....

but he allways had the idea of defeating the legion, even joining them he did it so gain more power, and to betray them from within...

I don't hate Illidan, I hate Illidan's fans.

Illidan's character from start to finish has always been an asshole. He's selfish, arrogant, and self righteous. Even when he does work in the interest of the greater good, most of the time it's because he's being threatened by a power far greater than he, or he's getting something to make himself more powerful in the process (at least it was so in WC3). That part of the character I like. The part where he eats his friends for power, without even thinking, "Hey, maybe there's another way to do this. Maybe I could ASK these people for MOST of their power, instead of just killing them outright without telling them." The part where he consumes Gul'dan's skull when all he was told to do was destroy it by Arthas. The part where he tries to smuggle the root of all evil (the well of eternity) because he likes the arcane too much to give it up. I HATE the Illidan fanboys who ignore the fact that Illidan is a really shitty person who only SOMETIMES comes through in the clutch, using whatever fucked up means he feels like. He's like a guy who goes back to 1900, and blows up a school in Austria because Hitler was attending.

In TBC, we had EVERY reason to think that Illidan was a bad person. He was stealing all the water from Zangarmarsh courtesy of Vashj. He had a fel orc factory in HFC churning out fel crazed baddies. He put his broken allies (the guys who facilitated his invasion of the Black Temple in the first place) in chains and forced them to do menial labor. The fact that he had super secret ENDS JUSTIFY THE MEANS added in after the fact, with no hints or clues to them at the time, left us with absolutely no reason to harbor any sympathy or love for Illidan.

Hell, they didn't even necessarily white wash Illidan in Legion. He still did all the shitty things that he did, they just have an Illidan fan (Xe'ra) telling us how wrong we are about how shitty all the horrible things he was doing were.
    Last edited by Weaponized Nuclear Kitten; 2016-07-21 at 10:40 PM.

I dont hate Illidan, I hate his fans.

"Illidan did nothing Wrong"
    "Illdan can kill anyone"
    "Illidan is Badass"
    "Blizzard butchered Illidans story in TBC"

All these pisses me the fuck off. Illidan did many things wrong, from commiting genocide on the peoples of Outland to siding with sargeras. Don't come with "He did what he had to do to destroy the legion." Sacrifices for what? ILLIDAN STILL FAILED ANYWAY! It's as retarded as saying Holocaust was justified because the Nazis told it would help them win the war, and they still failed. Unit 731 was also justified even after torturing thousands of people in attempts of developing a super Virus to Wipe out the US. They still failed doing that aswell

Stupid shit like Illidan could kill Kil'jaeden 1v1 or that he can beat lei shen and all this shit it's just stupid. He failed against Death knight arthas at his weakest, he stands no chance against anyone else even if you say he was cocky. What stops him from being cocky the next time he fights someone?

I don't know how the term "Badass" really works. If failing at literally everything is badass then alright. Alarak from Starcraft 2 is what I call Badass. Basically shit talking everyone and being stupid powerful, slaughtering thousands of Zerg in one attack etc.

I mean as I said, there was plenty of reasons to attack him during TBC because of all his crimes before and after War of the ancients etc.
    Last edited by Candy Cough; 2016-07-22 at 02:24 PM.
    An'u belore delen'na

I always wanted him to return, his death in TBC was weak and a pitiful way to end a major Warcraft character.

I agree with everyone else that "da chosen one" is a really lame fantasy trope done over and over again. He's also an elf which further saturates the lore with elves humans and orcs. Besides these 3 races no other race seems to matter in lore for the last few expansions sans the one-and-done Pandaren. "Da chosen one" should have been something unexpected like a gnome or tauren or worgen.

Deleted
    I don't hate him. I like the story, and can't wait to get more of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Illidan is awesome, if people hate them they are a bunch little kids who can't stand him not being a sterotypical "boy scout ,good guy" instead of the anti-hero he is.

Why do I hate Illidan?

Quote Originally Posted by Melsiren View Post
    Pretty much this.

To answer the OP. Go ask a Broken why they hate Illidan, I'm sure they'll say their slavery and slaughter was justified.

It's one of those things, where I like Illidan as a character as far as his role, but I genuinely think he's a piece of shit.
    I'd ask them "Do you have a better plan at destroying the legion in such a short time and saving the lives of countless billions?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I'd ask them "Do you have a better plan at destroying the legion in such a short time and saving the lives of countless billions?"
    It's not like Illidan was telling them about said plans. Which makes sense because it was retconned in for Legion.

I think he's a very good character, but i'm just tired of Blizzard bringing back every major lore character that dies. Warcraft's lore, the good lore, and not the disaster we have now, was known to be pretty dark. It's time for them to stop with all the fan service bs and bring back quality into Warcraft writing again.

Just on a side note, i thought the Illidan novel was great, best one so far imo. Still don't why they can't just leave dead characters dead and come up with new ones. Garrosh and Anduin are WoW made characters and they're both pretty good.

Deleted
    I've never seen a SINGLE person that dislikes Illidan. On the other hand, i've seen countless people loving him and worshipping him.

I hate that stupid naaru referring to Illidan as a child of Light and Shadow (Twilight). Illidan is a demon (an aberration), so as of now, Illidan is just an inanimate Old God (or Twilight) spawn.

Deleted
    I dont hate the original Illidan.

I think bringing him back into the story reeks of desperation of fan service. Maybe not enough for me to actively HATE it, but its still not something that interests me at all as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMyouhaveaids View Post
    I dont hate Illidan, I hate his fans.

"Illidan did nothing Wrong"
    "Illdan can kill anyone"
    "Illidan is Badass"
    "Blizzard butchered Illidans story in TBC"

All these pisses me the fuck off. Illidan did many things wrong, from commiting genocide on the peoples of Outland to siding with sargeras. Don't come with "He did what he had to do to destroy the legion." Sacrifices for what? ILLIDAN STILL FAILED ANYWAY! It's as retarded as saying Holocaust was justified because the Nazis told it would help them win the war, and they still failed. Unit 731 was also justified even after torturing thousands of people in attempts of developing a super Virus to Wipe out the US. They still failed doing that aswell

Stupid shit like Illidan could kill Kil'jaeden 1v1 or that he can beat lei shen and all this shit it's just stupid. He failed against Death knight arthas at his weakest, he stands no chance against anyone else even if you say he was cocky. What stops him from being cocky the next time he fights someone?

I don't know how the term "Badass" really works. If failing at literally everything is badass then alright. Alarak from Starcraft 2 is what I call Badass. Basically shit talking everyone and being stupid powerful, slaughtering thousands of Zerg in one attack etc.

I mean as I said, there was plenty of reasons to attack him during TBC because of all his crimes before and after War of the ancients etc.
    One minor correction. Arthas wasn't at his weakest. Yes he was getting weakened through out the undead compaign, but Ner'zhul gave him a burst of power in that mission to help see things through. Either way though Illidan was the stronger of the two during the fight, he lost because he didn't fight smart, not because Arthas' power level was higher.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponized Nuclear Kitten View Post
    I don't hate Illidan, I hate Illidan's fans.

Illidan's character from start to finish has always been an asshole. He's selfish, arrogant, and self righteous. Even when he does work in the interest of the greater good, most of the time it's because he's being threatened by a power far greater than he, or he's getting something to make himself more powerful in the process (at least it was so in WC3). That part of the character I like. The part where he eats his friends for power, without even thinking, "Hey, maybe there's another way to do this. Maybe I could ASK these people for MOST of their power, instead of just killing them outright without telling them." The part where he consumes Gul'dan's skull when all he was told to do was destroy it by Arthas. The part where he tries to smuggle the root of all evil (the well of eternity) because he likes the arcane too much to give it up. I HATE the Illidan fanboys who ignore the fact that Illidan is a really shitty person who only SOMETIMES comes through in the clutch, using whatever fucked up means he feels like. He's like a guy who goes back to 1900, and blows up a school in Austria because Hitler was attending.

In TBC, we had EVERY reason to think that Illidan was a bad person. He was stealing all the water from Zangarmarsh courtesy of Vashj. He had a fel orc factory in HFC churning out fel crazed baddies. He put his broken allies (the guys who facilitated his invasion of the Black Temple in the first place) in chains and forced them to do menial labor. The fact that he had super secret ENDS JUSTIFY THE MEANS added in after the fact, with no hints or clues to them at the time, left us with absolutely no reason to harbor any sympathy or love for Illidan.

Hell, they didn't even necessarily white wash Illidan in Legion. He still did all the shitty things that he did, they just have an Illidan fan (Xe'ra) telling us how wrong we are about how shitty all the horrible things he was doing were.
    Beautifully sums up the issue. I really hope they don't end up whitewashing him too much.

I didn't hate him until Legion's massive amounts of retcons and whitewashing to make Illidan a good guy.