Thread: WoW Nampelates

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WoW Nampelates

Hi,

I'll start off by saying I cannot stand the new nameplates Blizzard have added. I don't like the way they float around the screen, always in view even if the mobs are 100 feet away. I've tried some other nameplates, Kuinameplatyes and Plater, they all do the same thing and I cannot stand it.

It's a little gamebreaking for me. I can't believe there isn't an option to just use the old nameplates instead of having this new shit forced on us.

I just want simple nameplates that act the way the old WoW plates worked. Or even if it's possible to revert to the old plates. If anyone knows a good solution, please help!

Thanks!

Me too, is there any addon that could make it look like the old name platess kindly post info here.

@Stickyick79 @gream
    I'm the author of Plater, may I ask what is the main difference for you guys between the old and the new nameplates, I mean what is the main reason on why these new plates are making so many players don't like it?
    If is the design, the way it move/animate, its layout, etc...
    Thanks in advance.

It sounds like they don't like the new clamping behavior. Personally, I agree with them. A post on the official forums shows how to get the old behavior back (or pretty close to it anyways). I can't post links, so I've added whitespace to the URL to make my post go through:
    http: // us . battle . net/wow/en/forum/topic/20747644788
    /run SetCVar("nameplateMaxDistance", 100) SetCVar("nameplateOtherTopInset", -1) SetCVar("nameplateOtherBottomInset", -1)ReloadUI()

Change the 100 to whatever you want, it's just a max distance variable for healthplate visibility. I believe 40 is the default.

Tercio, the new nameplate behavior (which extends to addons also) shows plates up to 60 yards away and constrains them to fit on the screen when you're in range. So if you're a melee fighting Archimonde with the new much shorter camera distance, even though you can only see his knees, his nameplate shows up on your screen. That's pretty important because enemy nameplates also show important debuffs you need to maintain, and can also show your combo points/chi/whatever if you enable that option.

The two CVARs Arkhangelsk posted change the range and screen constraints back to pre-7.0 behavior. They do persist with reloads so you only need to set them once.

Personally I like the new constrain to screen bit, but I found it very confusing seeing nameplates on mobs I couldn't hit with ranged abilities so I dropped that back to 40 yards.

Deleted
    Was the old default range for nameplate visibility 40 yards?

May well have been based upon them simply being "in range" of an ability so potentially different per class
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This post is brought to you by the letters U and F (though not necessarily in that order)

I believe it's set to 60 yards by default for everybody, and there are no abilities with a 60 yd range. Max is 45.

Longer range nameplates aren't necessarily a terrible thing, after all tons of melee can't attack further than 30 yards away and they never found it confusing at 40. It's just a change to a game people have played for many years, and that can be jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk View Post
    It sounds like they don't like the new clamping behavior. Personally, I agree with them. A post on the official forums shows how to get the old behavior back (or pretty close to it anyways). I can't post links, so I've added whitespace to the URL to make my post go through:
    http: // us . battle . net/wow/en/forum/topic/20747644788
    This is exactly the problem. I ran that script and it seems to have worked!

@Tercio
    I do like the look and how customizable Plater is. I just prefer the nameplates to stay above mobs heads!

I'll reinstall Plater and run this script again, to see if it works with the addon.

Thanks all.

Edit: yep, worked like a charm! Thanks for the fix and the addon. Think I'll be sticking with Plater now.
    Last edited by whywhatwhowhenhow; 2016-07-21 at 03:07 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    the issues are:

-the range of display (Personally I used the old nameplates to judge aggro distances)
    -the lack of detail (they dont always show the name of a mob and they never show level)
    -difficulty in clicking
    -that floatiness of them

I'm changing the range to be check from the player perspective instead of the camera, looks better indeed.

Hi, any chance there's an option to make it look like the old default blizz nameplate?

With plater is it possible to have enemy nameplates on while friendly nameplates are off? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this with the new default and it's annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkalz7 View Post
    With plater is it possible to have enemy nameplates on while friendly nameplates are off? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this with the new default and it's annoying as hell.
    Ctrl+v puts all nameplates on/off and just v the enemy nameplates. That should be the default keybinds.

Oh I didn't know there was a keybind for it. I use V for ability's so I know that's not it but I'll see if I can find it in the bind menu & change it

Hi again,

I can't seem to find a thread dedicated to Plater, so I'll just ask here. Is it possible to lock the personal bar to the screen so it doesn't move around with my character? I use bartender and it keeps going under my bars when I move around

If not is it possible to disable it altogether? So I can use another addon to track power. I've looked in the Plater options, but there are only options to resize and move location up or down, not turn it off completely.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickyick79 View Post
    Hi again,

I can't seem to find a thread dedicated to Plater, so I'll just ask here. Is it possible to lock the personal bar to the screen so it doesn't move around with my character? I use bartender and it keeps going under my bars when I move around

If not is it possible to disable it altogether? So I can use another addon to track power. I've looked in the Plater options, but there are only options to resize and move location up or down, not turn it off completely.

Thanks again!
    You may try: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41513698

The first option on /plater is the option to disable the personal bar.

My only complaint about the new name plates is that they are up regardless of combat...I don't see the need to see training dummies name plates when walking around my garrison. Would love that issue to be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post

Thank you very much! I knew it would be an obvious option I wasn't seeing >.< I was looking under the personal bar tab.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post

While I have you Tercio, I tried Plater earlier and will probably return to it when I have time to mess around with the settings more (currently using Kui), but I found it a bit irritating that installing Plater turned on friendly nameplates

Also, thanks Arkhangelsk for posting that script.