Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

5-year-old's pet dog shot and killed through fence by cop at his birthday party.

http://www.fgtnews.com/news/police-o...arty-oklahoma/
    WYNNEWOOD, OKLAHOMA – Officer Josh Franklin fatally shot the family’s 3-year-old dog, Opie, during their son’s birthday party, outlets reported. The officer told the family the dog lunged at him through the fence.

“There’s something wrong with Opie.”

Vickie Malone heard those words come from her young son as he stared outside the window of their Wynnewood home.

Malone had just taken in the children from outside where they had been playing while celebrating the birthday of her five-year-old son. Inside the birthday cake and ice cream hadn’t even been served when they heard the bang from outside.

That bang was the sound of a Wynnewood police officer shooting the family dog. Opie was a three-year-old American Bulldog and Pit Bull mix. To her son Eli, he was his best friend.

“I would have fun with him when he runned around and we played tag,” Eli told FOX 25.

The adults ran outside to see Opie near the fence that surrounds their yard.

“He [Opie] was over here kicking and gasping for air,” Vickie said.

The police officer used a high-powered rifle he retrieved from his police vehicle to put the dog down. He fired two more shots from the rifle in front of the children.

Malone said the officer initially told her the dog had lunged at him through the fence. According to the Wynnewood police chief, the dog charged the officer. While he declined our multiple requests for a recorded interview, Chief Ken Moore said the officer told him the dog was vicious and attacked him by coming around the corner of the house. Moore said the officer tried to kick the dog off him once and then shot him.

However, the chief said he had not seen video of the aftermath of the shooting which was provided to FOX 25. The video shows the dead dog with a gunshot wound to his head lying near the fence, not near the house.

The police chief said the officer was serving a warrant, which gave him legal authority to be on the private property. However, the Malones said they were never shown any warrant. They were only told the officer was looking for someone who had listed that address as his ten years ago.

“He said he was checking to see if a guy name Shon McNiel lived here and no one here has heard of talking about,” Malone said. The warrant for McNiel was from a 10-year-old case and the police chief said the Malone house was his last known address.

However the police chief said the department was aware the Malones had lived there for the past year. He also told FOX 25 the address was a “rent house” and that multiple people had “moved in and out” in the past decade. Moore defended the officer’s presence there saying he “had to start somewhere” in his effort to serve the warrant.

“I respect what the police do, but this was senseless, but he didn’t show any remorse and didn’t even act like he was sorry or anything,” Malone told FOX 25.

The Malones believe the death of their dog could have been avoided either by the use of less-lethal force or by fact checking on the warrant.

No matter what the reason behind the death of Opie, Eli says he misses him. He made a small wooden cross to mark the backyard gravesite.

It hurts to lose a good friend; Eli says it hurts that no one with the Wynnewood Police Department has said they’re sorry.
    What the fuck.

And cop is gonna keep his job with no disciplinary action.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Maybe the dog had a toy truck in his mouth?

Was the dog black? Because black lives matter too, ya know?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-07-22 at 05:44 PM.

Eye for an eye I say. Pussy fucking cop just wanted to get his jollies off shooting his new toy I bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dick move by the officer for sure, but not world-ending.

I would also err on the side of waiting for more information before making a judgement.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the title irks me. Adding in '5 year old's pet' is nothing more than an attempt to introduce bias. This piece of information is largely irrelevant to whether or not the shooting was justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I'm sure you'd feel that way if that was your dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the title irks me. Adding in '5 year old's pet' is nothing more than an attempt to introduce bias. This piece of information is largely irrelevant to whether or not the shooting was justified.
    You must be bored, go away.

10+ Year Old Account

I would also err on the side of waiting for more information before making a judgement.
    He showed up to serve a 10 year old warrant while admitting that he was aware the recipient likely wasn't there, the dog lunged at him from behind a fence. He decided that the dog was now a threat, went back to his car to grab a rifle, and shot it in the head through the fence in front of playing children at a birthday party.
    There, now you're all caught up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Who can claim with a straight face that there is nothing wrong with the US police force?
    I have two shiba inu dogs. One is so incredibly friendly she jumps on and licks everyone she can with high-pitched yips. I am utterly terrified of what would happen if a cop encountered her. Bailey is more reserved than Godiva, but he is known to snarl and guard bark at other dogs, again, a combination that scares me if a police officer felt threatened. They wouldn't care that neither of my dogs are actually aggressive and Godiva is such a little waffle that even shaking my keys are enough to have her fall to the floor in fear, they'd shoot them anyway...and that's all this article shows.

Cops should take animal behaviour classes, I've seen them shoot dogs for just jumping from joy wanting to greet them.

inb4 "Only a dog" post.

Edit: my bad, too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    He showed up to serve a 10 year old warrant while admitting that he was aware the recipient likely wasn't there, the dog lunged at him from behind a fence. He decided that the dog was now a threat, went back to his car to grab a rifle, and shot it in the head through the fence in front of playing children at a birthday party.
    There, now you're all caught up.
    Thats what I find ridiculous. The article said the gun was in his car, but it also stated that the dog jumped on him, attacked him, and lunged at him according to the officer, and also came around the house just to attack the officer. So, while the dog was on top of him he somehow had time to go to his car and grab his gun, then aim it at the dog and shoot? Yeah, the officer is full of shit imo. The dog was barking through the fence, the officer had his jimmies rustled and wanted to show off his new toy. Im not usually this biased, but its really obvious whose at fault here.

@Darsithis Yeah, I feel the same way. My dog absolutely loves people. Shes a 1 year old french bulldog and she loves meeting anyone she sees on walks and such. The cops in my town are really nice and most of them have their own dogs as well so I trust them near mine, but if I were ever out of town I probably wouldnt let my dog near any other police. I dont like how they think when it comes to dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Was the dog black? Because black lives matter too, ya know?

Infracted
    Not only a good joke but, at the risk of my first infraction, not infractionworthy.

On a more serious note, police need to chill the fuck out when it comes to dogs. Statistically, the amount of 20-40 year old men who are killed by dogs each year is almost 0 %. Though interestingly to their credit, every single male above the age of 10 that was killed by a dog was killed by a pit bull in 2016 so far.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2016.php

Dog attacked him so he shot the dog... He had to go back to his car to retrieve that weapon hence he was out of danger... My BS detector is going off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Not only a good joke but, at the risk of my first infraction, not infractionworthy.

On a more serious note, police need to chill the fuck out when it comes to dogs. Statistically, the amount of 20-40 year old men who are killed by dogs each year is almost 0 %. Though interestingly to their credit, every single male above the age of 10 that was killed by a dog was killed by a pit bull in 2016 so far.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2016.php

I agree with you. Couldn't care less about infraction too.

I'm not trying to nation bash here but I'm so glad I live in the UK. I had an officer come round to my house the other day to ask me some questions about an incident in the area and my German Shepherd ran upto him and he did run at the officer but not in a way that he was going to attack or be violent and I was merely asked to just move my dog away. The officer himself stated he isn't very fond of dogs. Just showing you one difference that happens over here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I have two shiba inu dogs. One is so incredibly friendly she jumps on and licks everyone she can with high-pitched yips. I am utterly terrified of what would happen if a cop encountered her. Bailey is more reserved than Godiva, but he is known to snarl and guard bark at other dogs, again, a combination that scares me if a police officer felt threatened. They wouldn't care that neither of my dogs are actually aggressive and Godiva is such a little waffle that even shaking my keys are enough to have her fall to the floor in fear, they'd shoot them anyway...and that's all this article shows.
    Dude if someone threatened my 2 dogs they would be having a word with the pavement after I knock seven bells out of them. I don't normally condone violence but my dogs are my family.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-07-22 at 06:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'm not trying to nation bash here but I'm so glad I live in the UK.
    Isn't it a thing in the UK to call an ambulance just so you and your drunken buddies can beat up the driver?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

"its coming right for us!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Isn't it a thing in the UK to call an ambulance just so you and your drunken buddies can beat up the driver?
    Not sure. I have a couple of friends who drive them and I can't say they have ever told me of an incident like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Not sure. I have a couple of friends who drive them and I can't say they have ever told me of an incident like this.
    Think its mostly London for some reason. http://glaconservatives.co.uk/news/a...-attack-daily/
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-