Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    While amusing, all this over 32C? That's a cool day around here.
    I don't begrudge someone for wearing shorts when it's in the mid-high 80's, but seriously these people need to stop acting like they know what fucking "hot" is. The town I went to HS in was regularly in the 100F+ throughout much of March through October. (California high desert).

@Xarim: stupid policy decision results in humorous loophole abuse. These kids will do great on their taxes!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have to agree, how can 32C be that much of an issue? If I recall correctly we were sometimes allowed to walk home from school without wearing our school blazers when it got over 35C but that was about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand that people are trying to be edgy and funny when they say things like this, but these comments are so fucking stupid. This shit is as equally annoying as when people say "you winter is my summer" when people complain about the low temperature in warmer places. People are naturally going to be uncomfortable in higher and lower temperatures than they're used to.
    Last edited by Seramore; 2016-07-22 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

I went to a grade school with uniforms and this sort of thing happened all the time and was ridiculous. It's one thing to come in street clothes, but this is a woman on a power trip refusing to admit her rules are poorly thought out and need to be changed. Classic stubborn oppression, tho at the smallest of scale.

And to all the ridiculous post criticizing the temperature. The way people respond to temperature is completely relative to geography and the individual. You adjust to the environment around you. What you experience as cold, might feel quite nice for others and vice versa with heat, so that's a completely irrelevant discussion and takes away from the real issue at hand, which is to be able to accommodate all students, regardless of gender, as best as possible in uncomfortable temperatures, or more accurately to not go out of the way to prevent students from being comfortable by restricting uniform choices moreso for one gender than the other.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2016-07-22 at 09:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I live in Madrid, Spain. Average temperatures here are upwards of 38+ as well. Tho there are a number of things that make it more tolerable. For example the absence of stupid dress codes like the one discussed in the article.

Also one has to admit 38C dry heat is quite a bit different than heat in high humidity. Which is just fucking horrible.
    Yeah. Unfortunately, Houston tends to be very humid as well. In the summer, our dew point is typically in the mid 70s Fahrenheit.

With reference to the guy who called bullshit on me earlier, I'm home with my desktop computer now, and the Wunderground historicals back up the claim that I'm full of shit. The highest heat index it lists for Houston in June is 110F. The highest it lists in July so far is like 108F. That said, today, which is a relatively non-humid day, and cooler than yesterday, my iPhone's weather app lists the heat index at 109F, which is 4F hotter than the Wunderground's listing.

I think I probably saw the 125F heat index on my iPhone app (which goes to Weather.com), but I can't find any backup from Wunderground on those stats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    I understand that people are trying to be edgy and funny when they say things like this, but these comments are so fucking stupid. This shit is as equally annoying as when people say "you winter is my summer" when people complain about the low temperature in warmer places. People are naturally going to be uncomfortable in higher and lower temperatures than they're used to.
    It's not about being edgy. It's about being bemused. I mean I wish I still lived in a place where 32C was the hottest day of the summer.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2016-07-22 at 09:09 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about being edgy. It's about being bemused. I mean I wish I still lived in a place where 32C was the hottest day of the summer.
    What are you bemused by? Britain does not regularly get hot weather, so the infrastructure is not set up to deal with hot weather, just as places where it is hot most of the time struggle when they have a particularly cold spell.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They are boys. Does not apply.
    If they claim to identify as girls it would.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is this at all even close to being bemusing? It's like you complaining about it being ~30 degrees in the winter and people being confused as to why you're complaining when their normal winter temperature is in the single or low double digits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Kilts are pretty hot.

*feels drool dripping from the corner of her mouth*
    they are children! who are you ? Rolf Harris ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    they are children! who are you ? Rolf Harris ?
    Her mouth...so Jemima Savile.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The dress code on their website states girls can wear skirts, not students, so technically the boys are breaking the rules if the official rulebook uses the same wording.
    I'm guessing the loophole is that the school is open with gender identity, so they're identifying as girls.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    How is this at all even close to being bemusing? It's like you complaining about it being ~30 degrees in the winter and people being confused as to why you're complaining when their normal winter temperature is in the single or low double digits.
    I don't complain about it being 30F in winter. I actually rather like cooler weather. I will make a big deal out of things when my city floods, as it seems to do every year now, or when a hurricane comes through. But OK.

And I'm not confused or trying to make fun of them. I understand it. I'm just still amused. That shouldn't be confusing.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I don't begrudge someone for wearing shorts when it's in the mid-high 80's, but seriously these people need to stop acting like they know what fucking "hot" is. The town I went to HS in was regularly in the 100F+ throughout much of March through October. (California high desert).

@Xarim: stupid policy decision results in humorous loophole abuse. These kids will do great on their taxes!
    It isn't that people in different areas not know what "hot" is. It is that people from different parts of the world have bodies that grow accustomed to different temperatures. What is hot for a North Norwegian is going to be cool for a Californian. But what is cold for a Californian could be considered rather warm for a Norwegian. What is cold for a Norwegian would be bollocks freeze and shattering cold for a Californian.

For your Average Brit around 30c is enough to struggle in because our bodies just are not used to it. If you lived in California all this time then yes you'll adjust and perform better.

That said School uniforms are a dumb out dated model in the English (Scotland doesn't have it) education system, that is left over when everyone had to be "proper." and it needs to go because there is no benefit from it. Especially when the fabric used is intended to be uncomfortable and irritant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I was 175 at 13/14. Which meant I was about a head taller than my classmates. My GF's little sister is 14 and around 170. Her other sister 13 is around 150.

So yeah, kids can and do grow at wildly different rates sometimes.
    I know they grow at different rates but over here everyone grew widely at grade 4-6 and not in grade 7-9 (in swedish school so translated to age 10-13 and 13-16)

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, I wear jeans and boots in that weather.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I'm guessing the loophole is that the school is open with gender identity, so they're identifying as girls.
    Why would they identify as girls? I think you are reading far too much into it, they are just misusing the school dress code to prove a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenros View Post
    Wait... They have a dress code, but it is still allows boys to wear skirts? Yeah that is just weird.
    prob oversight in the wording of the official code.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't complain about it being 30F in winter. I actually rather like cooler weather. I will make a big deal out of things when my city floods, as it seems to do every year now, or when a hurricane comes through. But OK.

And I'm not confused or trying to make fun of them. I understand it. I'm just still amused. That shouldn't be confusing.
    You're not confused, yet you said you're bemused? Okay.

You're completely ignoring my point, I was making an example. I'm not saying you're complaining, I'm simply saying that the reactions to hot weather like this in the UK is akin to reactions to colder weather in Texas or California when there are far colder states and countries.

While the whole talk is a bit silly seen from every angle............

if i ever visit scotland ( hope i do ! ) i totally gonna bring home a kilt ... will i where it in public ? .. prolly not and 100% not to work but i like the idea

ACH, LADDIES! Now thats ye gots tha kilts, ye be needin' proper Scottish amenities! Like whiskey and haaaaaaggggiiiiiissss!

/plays bagpipes.

Excellent loophole, fellas. The world got a chuckle, and perhaps the school learned a lesson or two about esoteric and pointless rules.
    ~RAWR!