Thread: Ancestry.com

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Ancestry.com

Anyone here use this site? Decided to try it and find out some history on my fathers side.

From what I can find so far they came from Normandie(Normandy) France to Canada(back in the 1600s). Then to Michigan from there.

You have to pay to use it don't you? I've kinda wanted to try it but wasn't sure how hard it was to use and how much info i would get.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a lot of black friends that are not interested in this service at all...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    You have to pay to use it don't you? I've kinda wanted to try it but wasn't sure how hard it was to use and how much info i would get.

yeah it's $20 a month, but they have a 2 week free trial atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Always been my holdup on sites like this as well.
    I'm interested in learning about my lineage, but not enough to pay
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    Your Relative’s DNA Could Turn You Into a Suspect

Specifically mentions Ancestry.com and 23AndMe.

These type of DNA database companies have a long, long way to go with regards to trust that their databases are not abused for purposes far beyond what they were intended. The consequences are also not just possibly to you but anyone that is or ever will be related to you.

At minimum, I'd recommend only using a DNA database service that has a very clear and guaranteed deletion process once you get all the information you want.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-23 at 03:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can get some census data from them with a free account, and there are other sites you can use to find other info like RootsWeb, Find A Grave, usgwarchives are some that I've used. If you know your grandparents names and where and when they were born you can probably get pretty far for free. If you know your great-grandparents you should have almost no problems. (Unless your family changed it's name at one point for .... reasons. that's why I have a dead branch in my tree. )

I've traced back my ancestry back as far as the late 1500's on one branch without paying a dime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Your Relative’s DNA Could Turn You Into a Suspect

Specifically mentions Ancestry.com and 23AndMe.

These type of DNA database companies have a long, long way to go with regards to trust that their databases are not abused for purposes far beyond what they were intended. The consequences are also not just possibly to you but anyone that is or ever will be related to you.

At minimum, I'd recommend only using a DNA database service that has a very clear and guaranteed deletion process once you get all the information you want.

Giving your DNA is optional and in no way required to use ancestry.

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife paid the $100 for the DNA Genetic Test for her Mom. It took about a month for the results but it was pretty thorough on where here ancestors were from.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Anyone here use this site? Decided to try it and find out some history on my fathers side.

From what I can find so far they came from Normandie(Normandy) France to Canada(back in the 1600s). Then to Michigan from there.
    Where in Canada? My family were original settlers from France in a part of New Brunswick.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Or you could just ask your parents... It's not like the stories of your families origins aren't passed down or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    Where in Canada? My family were original settlers from France in a part of New Brunswick.
    Quebec

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    Or you could just ask your parents... It's not like the stories of your families origins aren't passed down or something.
    Kinda hard to ask when they aren't around anymore to ask.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    It's exactly like that for some of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

You can cross reference the stuff that you find on ancestry. com with https://familysearch.org/.

Since a lot of the stuff on ancestry.com is user submitted, sometimes some of it is not legit.

I've been able to trace one branch of my family to a specific farm in Sweden using free methods. That only goes back to the 1800s. Haven't tried to look beyond that.

Would not submit DNA.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    yeah it's $20 a month, but they have a 2 week free trial atm
    $20 a month? Do your ancestors vary from month to month? Or maybe it's your genome that changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    My mom's been using Ancestory.com for years she kinda has to though for her "ladies organization" she is in. She is in DAR which is Daughters of the American Revolution and to get in you have to prove you had an ancestor who took part in the American Revolution. She also helps others prove their lineage as well so I guess she likes the site. I don't care at all and the only times I have seen it is when she is trying to do something and doesn't know how like copying birth records or death records.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I just signed up but I can't do shit because I only know my mom and you need to put in more details.

u could use church registers, and family chronics?
    If u are christian, everyone was baptized and has therefore an entry in church registry, with name and origin of parents. It needs a lot of time and travel, but my family is holding a own family chronics, dating back to its first mention in a document in monastry archives of Regensburg Church from 852.

just make up a fake background

not like anyone will care enough to check anyway