Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    Will the people not be very pissed at the politicians if they ignore the result of a referendum?
    Yes, and a referendum has never been ignored before. And the Tories got into power only very slightly, and nobody voted for Theresa May. So basically they aren't in a position to say 'fuck the referendum' if they want anyone to vote for their party in the next 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Has everything to do with promises, because as said before, no one is legally forced to follow it.
    Fuck. By that logic, no one is legally forced to not be a despot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Yes, and a referendum has never been ignored before.

The Lisbon treaty says hello

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khali View Post
    Citation needed, iirc unionists do not make up the majority in NI. If they did NI would've voted to leave but the results say otherwise. All it takes is two referendums, I seriously doubt ANYONE up there wants things the way they were before the Good Friday agreement & I doubt the EU would be happy with the current border if/when the UK leaves. That said though it would be a monumental (or suicidal) task for the ROI to reintegrate NI under the Good Friday agreement without serious issue.
    Pro-Unionists do make up the majority, whether they are what you would call a traditional Unionist is another matter entirely, as many are Catholic. The last poll I saw was pretty overwhelming in favour of staying part of the UK, surprisingly so.

The only calls I have seen for an independent Ulster have been from Sinn Fein, which is about as surprising as the Queen being pro-Monarchy.

Obviously, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't ignore the vote.
    Isn't that political suicide for them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Has everything to do with promises, because as said before, no one is legally forced to follow it.
    They are constitutionally obligated to follow it, which is what is important.

Yes, as it was for the ones who ran after the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    All polls made must always be followed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is another country, not the UK.

Yes, as it was for the ones who ran after the result.
    So why would they ignore it then?

Deleted
    The Lisbon Treaty was not a referendum held to the British electorate.

So why would they ignore it then?
    Why did the Brexit campaigners run instead of giving people their victory, which they lead the campaign for? They could have done it right away, but ran instead.

Yes. Of the highest degree, actually, what with this being such a huge one.

Which makes the conspiracy of not going through with it sound like some anti-Tory rot.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be political suicide for every MP, regardless of which side they are on, with the exception of the SNP and Sinn Fein.

- - - Updated - - -

Why did the Brexit campaigners run instead of giving people their victory, which they lead the campaign for? They could have done it right away, but ran instead.
    They could not have done it right away.

The PM needs to do it, Cameron was pro-remain, Theresa May took over and said she will invoke Article 50 when she damn well pleases. So who exactly could have done it right away?

It would be political suicide for every MP, regardless of which side they are on, with the exception of the SNP and Sinn Fein.
    Okay. So it's less anti-Tory rot and more pro-SNP and Sinn Feinstein rot. I think?

The PM needs to do it, Cameron was pro-remain, Theresa May took over and said she will invoke Article 50 when she damn well pleases. So who exactly could have done it right away?
    So now you are saying that the politicians can infact ignore the result, if you claim pro-remain PM was blocking it. Pick one already.

Either you can't ignore the result, and it could have been done right away, or it can be ignored.

They're not, it was an advisory referendum not a legally binding one, and whilst it might be politically suicidal to ignore the referendum it might also be suicidal to start the process and fuck everything up.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Theresa May is also pro-Remain, there is no reason Cameron couldn't have put the motion to Parliament.

10+ Year Old Account
    So now you are saying that the politicians can infact ignore the result, if you claim pro-remain PM was blocking it. Pick one already.

Either you can't ignore the result, and it could have been done right away, or it can be ignored.
    Who is ignoring the result? Who is blocking anything? Theresa May said she is committed to Brexit, but on her timeframe, which Article 50 allows for.

There was no "immediate Brexit" option on the ballot, I told you this earlier, she will invoke it when she invokes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Are you really going to be satisfied with a non-Brexit Brexit, because that is what everyone is predicting right now who doesn't think they'll postpone Brexit indefinitely.

Some agreement that will be called "Brexit" on paper, but which for 99% is just remain regulations.

Why call it Brexit then?
    Non-Brexit Brexit. The fuck is this supposed to mean?

Deleted
    Pro-Unionists do make up the majority, whether they are what you would call a traditional Unionist is another matter entirely, as many are Catholic. The last poll I saw was pretty overwhelming in favour of staying part of the UK, surprisingly so.

The only calls I have seen for an independent Ulster have been from Sinn Fein, which is about as surprising as the Queen being pro-Monarchy.
    The last time we had a referendum on that here was several years ago, when did you read that poll? Unless it was taken in the past few weeks I doubt it's relevant to Brexit as circumstances have obviously changed. I'm only going to say "fuck Sinn Fein" as they have their heads up their arse with the rose tinted goggles deep in their colons when it comes to modern Ireland and will jump at any opportunity to go back to the past. That said, if you take the uncertainty of the NI relationship with Europe, possibility of (armed?) borders being put back into place, restricted movement, trade and rising nationalism, you can be certain minds have swung lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    They're not, it was an advisory referendum not a legally binding one, and whilst it might be politically suicidal to ignore the referendum it might also be suicidal to start the process and fuck everything up.
    I did not say legally binding.

Theresa May is also pro-Remain, there is no reason Cameron couldn't have put the motion to Parliament.
    He did not want to invoke it right away, she is talking about the pro-Brexit people invoking it.