How to fix another one of the Nameplate changes

It seems that with 7.0, Blizz made an undocumented change to how nameplates function:

6.2 and earlier: Enemy nameplates would appear when you are a certain distance away, regardless of combat state

7.0: Enemy nameplates only seem to appear when you are in combat with them, and even then, some nameplates don't appear

A bit frustrating, but an addon called "Plater" fixes this and makes nameplates work the way they used to. Just a heads-up for anyone else who's annoyed with this new change to nameplate functionality.

10+ Year Old Account
    it sucks the most in pvp

Huh? Just check "always show nameplates". It's not on by default, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Huh? Just check "always show nameplates". It's not on by default, iirc.
    But then it shows pets and minions and everything you used to be able to filter out... the new nameplates are really bad.
    If you choose "larger nameplates" and separately choose "show names" the names get larger with the nameplates and take up too much room...
    The new functionality with combos and stuff showing above nameplates is a good idea, but you cant make it larger, or change its transparency in any way and its fairly transparent... Neither can you can you deselect "show resources on you" without automatically deselecting "show on target"

I dont know why they would take out all the options we had before, it doesnt make any sense, and it makes nameplates worse despite the improvements...

Deleted
    The nameplate changes are, questionable in general. They sacrificed utility and oversight for flashiness and pseudo "modern" looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    But then it shows pets and minions and everything you used to be able to filter out... the new nameplates are really bad.
    If you choose "larger nameplates" and separately choose "show names" the names get larger with the nameplates and take up too much room...
    The new functionality with combos and stuff showing above nameplates is a good idea, but you cant make it larger, or change its transparency in any way and its fairly transparent... Neither can you can you deselect "show resources on you" without automatically deselecting "show on target"

I dont know why they would take out all the options we had before, it doesnt make any sense, and it makes nameplates worse despite the improvements...
    I hate the new nameplates visually, but you can definitely still hide pets. Always show nameplates checked, under Enemy Units have minions unchecked. Same functionality as the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post

You can hide pets and minions in the nameplates tab...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    You can hide pets and minions in the nameplates tab...
    Youre right, my bad. Theyre still muuuuch shittier than they were a week ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I don't like the new plates very much. They appear at random and even aggressive mobs that I'm currently in combat with didn't show up in dungeons last night.

And slightly relevant, did tab-targeting change? Very often I'm now targeting nearby non-aggressive mobs instead of aggressive ones in front of me. I don't recall it acting like this pre-patch.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    Yeah I don't like the new plates very much. They appear at random and even aggressive mobs that I'm currently in combat with didn't show up in dungeons last night.

And slightly relevant, did tab-targeting change? Very often I'm now targeting nearby non-aggressive mobs instead of aggressive ones in front of me. I don't recall it acting like this pre-patch.
    Yes, tab targeting was "improved" to prefer nearer targets to your side over the target in front of you that's a little farther away. I don't know how those clueless idiots thought it was an improvement.