Page 1 of 2
LastLast

In the name of the war against terrorism speculation...

Since terrorism is growing in the EU, with suicide squads, which government counter measure to prevent terrorism, could potentially hurt our freedom of movement and speech as we know it until know, and would you accept it?

We've seen some futuristic sci-fi films like V for Vendetta and other.

How far can the government go to protect us?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Since terrorism is growing in the EU, with suicide squads, which government counter measure to prevent terrorism, could potentially hurt our freedom of movement and speech as we know it until know, and would you accept it?

What makes you believe they WANT to protect us?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    We (people in general) give them money so they can afford those yachts so they'll at least do the bare minimum to protect us.

I am not willing to "accept" the slightest infringement on my personal freedom for this. I can't really do anything about it, of course, so I suppose I "accept" it in the sense that it's part of life, but I don't support it at all. I think it's trivially easy to profile in a fashion that would leave 95% or more of citizens uninfringed while adding nearly zero terror risk. I see basically zero upside to antagonizing old women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    We (people in general) give them money so they can afford those yachts so they'll at least do the bare minimum to protect us.
    Still doesn't answer my question, most politicians are all about themselves, they care nothing for the little people until they have to manipulate and lie to you for votes, and then you are nothing more than gutter trash to be conn'd and then discarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I am not willing to "accept" the slightest infringement on my personal freedom for this. I can't really do anything about it, of course, so I suppose I "accept" it in the sense that it's part of life, but I don't support it at all. I think it's trivially easy to profile in a fashion that would leave 95% or more of citizens uninfringed while adding nearly zero terror risk. I see basically zero upside to antagonizing old women.
    but but but Spectral, that would be unfair to profile people, that something something something violates their right to something something something...

the above message was presented by the "I agree with Spectral campaign for Non-intrusive Travel for Little Old Ladies"

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Why should we do that? It is exactly what the Terrorists want. For us to cower in fear and change our way of life, to change our laws, curb our Freedoms and so forth.

Temp measures are fine to limit effects after a attack. The US got defeated by terrorism, they traded in Freedoms and rights for supposed safety. They did exactly what those groups wanted.

I see no reason to do the same.

Honestly I can't see why governments would want to do anything productive about it.

Let an attack occur here and there, it maintains the narrative and allows them to further erode civil liberties and expand the ever-encroaching police state.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Why should we do that? It is exactly what the Terrorists want. For us to cower in fear and change our way of life, to change our laws, curb our Freedoms and so forth.

Temp measures are fine to limit effects after a attack. The US got defeated by terrorism, they traded in Freedoms and rights for supposed safety. They did exactly what those groups wanted.

I see no reason to do the same.
    this is the best example of western centric 1st world problem logic

"the terrorists" dont actually hate our freedoms

they arent attacking us because were awesome

theyre attacking us because they want their shithole countries to be a little less shithole

and they see us as causing their problems

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    True, the Government is out to get us!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Honestly I can't see why governments would want to do anything productive about it.

Let an attack occur here and there, it maintains the narrative and allows them to further erode civil liberties and expand the ever-encroaching police state.
    Yeah, because that's the ultimate goal of European Governments. Glad people realise this now. START THE UPRISING!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

huh?
    why would the government restrict OUR freedom?
    that doesn't make sense
    they would only restrict freedoms of potential terrorists (investigation / monitoring)
    and with that i have no problem.

what you're describing is terrorism against the government. (V for vendetta)
    and that's something that is extremely rare to happen in the world.

There are occurrences where a politician can get killed (like what happened in England a month ago)
    but i wouldn't call that terrorism.

Deleted
    We are way past the stage when intrusive government surveillance was science fiction. Even by the standards of the worst historical dictatorships most western governments have surveillance powers which invade privacy to an unprecedented agree.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    this is the best example of western centric 1st world problem logic

"the terrorists" dont actually hate our freedoms

they arent attacking us because were awesome

theyre attacking us because they want their shithole countries to be a little less shithole

and they see us as causing their problems
    Groups like ISIS are doing terrorist attacks to spread fear. Giving into fear is doing exactly what they want. If we change our way of life,laws because of terror attacks it means that they succeeded.

Deleted
    Groups like ISIS are doing terrorist attacks to spread fear. Giving into fear is doing exactly what they want. If we change our way of life,laws because of terror attacks it means that they succeeded.
    "We" don't change our way of life, the political establishment changes our way of life so they have more power. The terrorism thing just makes it a lot easier to do so without any one objecting. The difference between these things is substantive. You imply a level of democracy exists in the west which never really has.

Eventually the people will take it into their own hands.

If the government hasn't done anything yet they won't do anything tomorrow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Eventually the people will take it into their own hands.

If the government hasn't done anything yet they won't do anything tomorrow.
    Surprisingly few people are keen on the holocaust of Muslims you obviously relish.

There's no reason why imperial populations would suddenly turn on their capital masters (currently governments and corporations) after centuries of supporting them. The basic policy of exploiting the rest of the world for the sake of enriching the homeland, currently focused on domination of the Middle East, hasn't EVER been substantially opposed by any population, anywhere, at any time in human history.

Let's take the biggest aspect of internal imperial controversy - the wealth disparity *within* imperial societies. That's an easy fix - just throw a few economic bones to the middle class. A New New Deal is the MOST that would need to be done for the centers of capital to maintain power.

The "uprising" of Occupy Wall Street wasn't some new revolutionary movement - it was terrified indebted young people who previously considered themselves to be masters of the universe realizing that they were being sold out, being pushed down into the ranks of the perpetually trampled. Yet it's a slow push, so slow that these people can't even see those below them.

Far far far from the "1% vs the 99%", Occupy Wall Street was an overwhelmingly white, middle class movement, so it was more like a 1% vs the 10th percentile.

Very little has actually changed within the identities of humans living in imperial societies. So the "war on terror" means little to them - it's just the latest in a long line of policies that exploit the politically weak areas of the world sufficiently to buy off the concerns of the local populations.

Or in other words, while terrified young people are protesting their personal economic concerns in imperial societies, entire countries in the Middle East are being decimated.
    Last edited by Yunzi; 2016-07-23 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Surprisingly few people are keen on the holocaust of Muslims you obviously relish.
    It isn't something I want to happen just something I see as a eventual inevitability. As for few... well those fires are getting a lot more common in the EU. Funny that.

It's time to stop being PC, If a terrorist runs away after an attack, and then gets caught, interrogate him and kill him afterwards. the same goes for his friends/family, who shielded him when he was hiding - interrogate and then kill them. and don't try to tell me that they don't have anything to do with it, if they hid him, they are with him... period. They have no place in europe.

you think ISIS end goal is to spread fear?

thats some 90s villian level strategy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    you think ISIS end goal is to spread fear?

thats some 90s villian level strategy
    The goal of terrorism is to spread fear among a population. Just because a Terrorist group uses it does not mean their end goal is only to spread fear around like a fear spamming Warlock, Priest combo.

In ISIS case. They are a Doomsday cult and want a holy war that will bring around the apocalypse or some other nonsense. They use terrorism to further their goals. The more they use terrorist attacks, the more likely the population will want to retaliate and give them what they want. In their case a Holy War that will return their Prophet and cause the end of Mankind.