Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    Just like you don't have a right to insult others or be an asshole or shit talk if someone doesn't want to participate. You have a right to shit talk your government, that's it.
    Everybody has the right to be an asshole if they decide to be. I don't recall "be nice to everybody" as part of the ToS but then again it might be these days. There is no meter properly measure "offense taken" I could say that by you telling me I don't have a right to be an asshole offends me in the game and you could get silenced if enough derps report it...
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    An actual team of mods going over reports and viewing logs before going all Minority Report on somebody? If they don't want to invest in it they need to give it up.
    Let's step back from the whole minority report paranoia and stick to the discussion.
    So you want a team, okay. Where will this team be located? Will it be a team totally dedicated to just this task? What are their operating hours? All this will be tantamount to the looming question: how much will this cost?
    I'm not trying to bury your reasoning with skepticism, but more encouraging you to back up your reasoning with a plan.
    If you'd rather waste time with caps lock and hyperbole though, let me know so I can stop replying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Let's step back from the whole minority report paranoia and stick to the discussion.
    So you want a team, okay. Where will this team be located? Will it be a team totally dedicated to just this task? What are their operating hours? All this will be tantamount to the looming question: how much will this cost?
    I'm not trying to bury your reasoning with skepticism, but more encouraging you to back up your reasoning with a plan.
    If you'd rather waste time with caps lock and hyperbole though, let me know so I can stop replying.

You want me to do a cost benefit analysis for a theoretical moderation team that would only need to be created because of an idea I don't agree with being implemented in the first place. My answer would be to tell people to grow up and stop getting butt hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    You want me to do a cost benefit analysis for a theoretical moderation team that would only need to be created because of an idea I don't agree with being implemented in the first place. My answer would be to tell people to grow up and stop getting butt hurt.
    And you know that's not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsefury View Post
    In order to be 100% scientific in the testing, Asmongold test should be tried again without caps lock. There might be triggers in the system that auto checks for specific words or conditions like caps lock in order for a crowd induced silence to take effect prior to an actual human investigation.
    He read the email out. The trigger was that multiple people reported him at once which resulted in the silence in less than a minute. The content of the message or it's format was never in question for the silence.

Though I like the general idea of silence in hopes of teaching some people how to act like normal humans this was my fear from the announcement. If you think about how many silence reports will be going out Blizzard would literally need a dedicated army to review each once. It's far easier just to auto-silence and send a generic email out. This creates a situation (helped by Asmongold's test) where people can just gather on someone they don't like or just screw with someone because it's 'funny' and report anything they say. Then it's all compounded by a zero consequence system for false reporters.

As for the "free speech" posters. You'll find that if you go into any civilised business and start shouting stuff like "go kill yourself fucking idiot" (I don't know...maybe someone dropped a paper clip?) you would be thrown out. 'Free speech' isn't a licence to abuse people in a video game because it's the only place in life you feel powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    And you know that's not going to happen.
    I know. Blizzard has basically jumped the shark at this point.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know. Blizzard has basically jumped the shark at this point.
    Ah, just looking for the circlejerk. I'll see myself out then =).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Ah, just looking for the circlejerk. I'll see myself out then =).
    I fail to understand what you want. You're asking me to "find a way" to do something that I don't agree with in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    He read the email out. The trigger was that multiple people reported him at once which resulted in the silence in less than a minute. The content of the message or it's format was never in question for the silence.
    Until we test it again without caps lock we won't know, here's an exemple of how it might be working:

15 reports for a full caps lock message
    10 if it contains restricted words like racial slurs or swear words
    50 reports if none of the above

I'm not saying this is a good system, but as of now we can only presume until other tests have been conducted, or Blizzard becomes more transparent about this system which was supposed to only come in effect AFTER investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    I cuss often. The new silence feature means I'm going to converse less in channels and instances in case I offend some people and get silenced. No more socializing in an MMO for me.
    How about you just NOT act like a dick? Pretty simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    How about you just NOT act like a dick? Pretty simple.
    Why does using profanity automatically make him a dick? Further, at what point is being a "dick" against the ToS if he's not swearing?

10+ Year Old Account
    This system is way too gullible for troll groups and the likes. Better just make a more expansive "ignore"/"avoid always" list or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what would've happened if he simply just wrote what he wrote without asking 39 people to report him for it.... Most likely absolutely nothing.

It's nice that he tests the system, but hello?! Couldn't he have done it in a proper way? Writing a comment of obscene shit in trade and wait to see what happens. If that would've gotten him automatically silenced - ye, then we have reason to worry, as it would mean they lied about the "upon investigation" part.
    If someone get 39 reports in a minute I don't find it odd it's automated, however it's not good if it ends there - they need to investigate it. Some will try to abuse the system, that's inevitable, and those people needs to be flushed out and heavily penalized for doing so. It needs to work both ways.

I often enjoy Asmongold's videos, but he is a bit ridiculous on this specific topic. When he did the video on what his thoughts were on the silencing system pretty much all I could hear was extreme exaggeration. The valid points he had got completely lost due to the amount of panting the devil on the wall that he was doing. And it was also very hard to not get the impression that he's a "blurt out crap" type of player. Which if he is, I then completely understands his fear of the system.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    So a community with 220 players could silence people for 1 1/2 years just because. And when people get the e-mail saying: 32 Months of silence... they LEAVE the game for good, doesn't matter if 2 days later a GM removed the silence. People will get pissed off
    I'm not saying there isn't potential for abuse - we agree there. However, I don't think it will be as bad as you fear. Some people may leave the game if that happened but most would probably laugh it off and open a ticket. If a "troll" silence is given out more than they anticipated they will change the system.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    no

i haven't been online much
    when i have been i barely said anything
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Yea, that's the temp silence until it gets reviewed. What do you expect?

You can break any system by intentionally trying too. Want to prove that pillows are dangerous? Go suffocate somebody. How about proving that pw protection mechanisms are terrible ... just go to most sites and type in the wrong pw 25 times - you'll be shut down pretty quick. Point being, asking a zillion people to report you results in exactly what you'd expect ( and hope would happen ), a temp silence followed by a proper review. In fact, it would be a shit system if it DIDN'T give him a temp silence. What a moronic exercise.

It's a good system. Get over yourself.
    Pillows have at least a use for everyone, safe spaces are only a desire by a minority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loving the paranoia in this thread. "omg if enough people want to be assholes to me for no reason and report me I might get a 24 silence!".

People don't care. Not enough to report you and get you silenced. Perhaps one, at most two, will be arsed to do it and that is not enough.

I have developed an addon that will automatically report anyone who talks in trade or general chat. PST for abuse!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Safe spaces? Wtf are you even talking about?

It's a good system because most people don't need to be, or want to be, inundated by retarded trolls that are either spam gold selling or spouting racist bs from their hillbilly shack in the swamp. No doubt, the new system won't be popular with them. Wonder which you are?
    I thought we were adults capable of ignoring folks we don't want to listen to. When the Trump spam began on Sargeras my ignore list increased massively. It became a mini-game more than than anything in the garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    So if the bomb bot in Dallas killed a few civilians along with the shooter, that's ok.

If there were such a simple fix, then this entire debacle wouldn't even exist, because said fix would've been implemented to begin with.
    Blizzard has the right to virtually slit the throats of all your characters, dance on their graves, and permaban you, just because they feel like it.

Making an analogy to criminal justice is hilariously inane.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"