Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Leaked DNC emails reveal secret plans to take on Sanders

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...ake-on-sanders

The Sanders campaign had long claimed the DNC and Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz had tipped the scales in favor of Hillary Clinton during the party’s presidential primary.

The email release will reignite that controversy just days before Democrats gather in Philadelphia for their convention to officially nominate Clinton for president.

Guccifer 2.0 told The Hill he leaked the documents to Wikileaks.

In one May 21 email, DNC press secretary Mark Paustenbach writes to communications director Luis Miranda about planting a narrative to the media that Sanders’s “campaign was a mess.”

“Specifically, [Wasserman Schultz] had to call Bernie directly in order to get the campaign to do things because they'd either ignored or forgotten to something critical,” he wrote.

“It's not a DNC conspiracy, it's because they never had their act together,” Paustenbach concluded.

In another email from early May, DNC CFO Brad Marshall appears to write about a plan to question Sanders’s religion.

The email does not name the Vermont senator, but it talks about a man of “Jewish heritage” Marshall believes to be an atheist. It makes reference to voters in Kentucky and West Virginia, two states that were holding upcoming primary elections.

“It might may no difference, but for KY and WVA can we get someone to ask his belief. Does he believe in a God. He had skated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist. This could make several points difference with my peeps. My Southern Baptist peeps would draw a big difference between a Jew and an atheist,” the email says.

Marshall did not respond to a request for comment. But he did tell The Intercept, which first noticed the email, “I do not recall this. I can say it would not have been Sanders. It would probably be about a surrogate.”

Wasserman Schultz wrote in May that Sanders "isn't going to be president" and in April that he “has no understanding of” the Democratic Party.

Emails from Wasserman Schultz pertaining to Sanders show a frustration with his campaign's claims of DNC bias and with media reports focused on Sanders's battles with the committee.

Wasserman Schultz sent an email to NBC anchor Chuck Todd with the subject line "Chuck, this must stop," and set up a time for the two to talk about MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” co-host Mika Brzezinski calling on Wasserman Schultz to step down.

In another email chain, Miranda said Brzezinski was willing to talk with Wasserman Schultz.

"She's already served as a judge and jury without even bothering to talk to me. Not sure why I should trust having a conversation with her would make any difference. Or that she even matters, to be frank," Wasserman Schultz wrote back after a brief exchange.

In response to a New York Times story about Sanders's defiance in the wake May's unruly Democratic state convention in Nevada, Wasserman Schultz wrote: "Every time they get caught doing something wrong, they use the tactic of blaming me. Not working this time."

I thought it was pretty obvious myself, the DNC wanted Hillary no matter who was the better choice

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Which this will not surprise a lot of people. Bernie should withdraw his endorsement. But he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yep. Which this will not surprise a lot of people. Bernie should withdraw his endorsement. But he won't.
    I am sure she promised him a power position just like Obama promised her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Of course he won't. That would give Trump the win and he cares more about policy than personal issues with the DNC. But yeah this isn't surprising at all. Debbie W-Schultz was in bed with the Clintons before she even became the DNC chairman. It's not surprising that she didn't drop her allegiances right after becoming the leader. She was put in to help Clinton have an easier time post-Obama.

7+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious?? this is all you got, damn i was expecting more coming in here with a title like "Leaked DNC emails reveal secret plans to take on Sanders"... let's hope they find something better cause this is nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    Or maybe he endorsed her to simply show respect for the candidate who won (though shouldn't have) the primaries.

I don't think it makes much sense that he'd suddenly sell out now after a lifetime of firmly held beliefs.

and what @Eric The Midget said.

Remember when I expressed absolute contempt towards Hillary and her collusion to sabotage Sanders' campaign and then I got dogpiled by Shillary supporters demanding evidence?

And now suddenly it's raining incontrovertible evidence and they are nowhere to be found Funny how it works that way.

"BREAKING NEWS! HILLARY HAD PLANS FOR COMBATING HER POLITICAL RIVAL PRIOR TO WHEN THEY UNITED AGAINST DONALD DUMP!"

...I mean... durr?

What's next big reveal? That Germany had secret plans to attack the USA... up to 1946!? :P

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    "BREAKING NEWS! HILLARY HAD PLANS FOR COMBATING HER POLITICAL RIVAL PRIOR TO WHEN THEY UNITED AGAINST DONALD DUMP!"

...I mean... durr?

What's next big reveal? That Germany had secret plans to attack the USA... up to 1946!? :P
    This is the DNC, not Hillary's campaign. They're supposed to remain impartial.

10+ Year Old Account
    A narrative just means a way to tell the story, not that the story is made up or fabricated. If Sanders was calling the DNC process rigged than I have no issue with the DNC defending themselves and pointing out that Sanders campaign was unorganized.

It also means little that Wasserman Schultz said 'Bernie isn't going to be president' in May. The race was essentially decided at that point and the math was working against Sanders. He was well behind in votes and had no hopes of catching up.

Unless there was any tampering with the votes themselves I'm not sure what the real issue is at this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    Which would be likely with every other politician. Give Sanders more credit, he's been fighting for more than five decades for the people and I very much doubt he would just sell out now, it wouldn't make any sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Remember when I expressed absolute contempt towards Hillary and her collusion to sabotage Sanders' campaign and then I got dogpiled by Shillary supporters demanding evidence?

And now suddenly it's raining incontrovertible evidence and they are nowhere to be found Funny how it works that way.
    There's no real evidence in these emails. Surely you could have found people in the RNC who didn't want Trump to become the nominee as well. Those people would have had to do something more than passing around internal emails to qualify as collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I guess they were smart enough not to get hacked, so that makes it a mute point.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue is the DNC isn't suppose to pick sides or come up with strategies to defeat other democratic candidates so the one they want to win becomes the nominee. What part of impartial is hard to understand?
    Correct. It's not so much that they cost Bernie anything, but the DNC is supposed to remain impartial. Instead, they were trying to assist Hillary's campaign in giving them ideas in which to attack Bernie on.

This violates everything the committees are supposed to be about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Twitter delete the trending hashtag #DNCleaks

lol

These leaks are insane.

I don't see how anyone can vote for Hillary or be part of the DNC after this. They have literally usurped power and lied to their voters.

- - - Updated - - -

Hillary Clinton literally had to pay people for online support and troll Bernie Sanders supporters.

Yep, Sanders supporters are really going to flock to her campaign now.

10+ Year Old Account
    When can there be an interesting or relevant scandal about Clinton? All this really reveals is how much Sanders supporters are still grumping and moping that after so many months of circle jerks they ended up losing. As Fengosa pointed out, these emails are being (purposefully) read out of context for the purpose of stirring people up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post

The issue is the DNC isn't suppose to pick sides
    Not really. And this kind of vapid short sightedness is one of many reasons why Sander's failed, even before losing the popular vote as a populist. The only responsibility that the DNC has is that they be transparent about their requirements, such as how many bound vs unbound delegates there are, and to follow up on their word if their favored candidate were to come up short.

News flash, Sanders isn't a democrat. He's not apart of the DNC and therefore they don't have to be impartial, why the hell should they be to an outsider? Gimme a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    When can there be an interesting or relevant scandal about Clinton? All this really reveals is how much Sanders supporters are still grumping and moping that after so many months of circle jerks they ended up losing. As Fengosa pointed out, these emails are being (purposefully) read out of context for the purpose of stirring people up.

Not really. And this kind of vapid short sightedness is one of many reasons why Sander's failed, even before losing the popular vote as a populist. The only responsibility that the DNC has is that they be transparent about their requirements, such as how many bound vs unbound delegates there are, and to follow up on their word if their favored candidate were to come up short.
    These Clinton supporters are sounding more and more like Baghdad Bob.

Yep, nothing to see here folks!

Another vast right-wing conspiracy!

Overlook the corruption, and definitely don't read any of the e-mails. Stay ignorant! Stay pure! Stay Clinton!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Hillary Clinton literally had to pay people for online support and troll Bernie Sanders supporters.
    You mean like Trump paying a whole room of so called supporters, to troll the whole nation? lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Secret plans?

I thought Debbie the Devil going on CNN and explaining how the establishment was doing everything it could to ensure their preferred candidate won was pretty transparent...

You know to use the term Ted Cruz did I don't see why Sanders Supporters should crawl back to this party like a servile puppy dog and vote for a candidate and party establishment which fucked them over like this. I imagine Jill Stein is looking pretty good right about now.