Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    There is very little game play, you just "explore" and kill, it's not multiplayer, you can't design anything, you can't build anything. There is no sense of permanence in any way. It looks like it would be fun for a day or two, that being said it should be priced accordingly.
    For people who like the whole space trading-exploring-combat sim genre (admittedly a niche group) there's likely to be tonnes of content. Compared to Elite: Dangerous it seems to lack realism but makes up for it by selling a more fantastical experience with a focus on survival more than profiteering. As long as the game is functional you can pretty much guarantee it will get some players who will play for a long time, though how many of those there are depends on how fun the mechanics are and what the pacing is like for the effort/reward ratio.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is very little game play, you just "explore" and kill, it's not multiplayer, you can't design anything, you can't build anything. There is no sense of permanence in any way. It looks like it would be fun for a day or two, that being said it should be priced accordingly.
    Explore, kill, do quests, trade, level up, and progress towards the interior of the universe. There is just as much game play as most games. If there is no sense of permanence in any way then why is it that the name of things is permanent for anyone who plays the game? You are saying the game shouldn't be full price because it does none of the things you want in a game. But that isn't how stuff works.

Not to mention what the heck is a day or two of fun worth? A 2 day ticket to Disney world is $101 for example.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty excited for NMS. Seems to be a better version (for me) of what I was hoping Eliteangerous would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Can't wait for this game and see the reviews. It sounds like an updated version of Starflight. I loved that game as a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Explore, kill, do quests, trade, level up, and progress towards the interior of the universe. There is just as much game play as most games. If there is no sense of permanence in any way then why is it that the name of things is permanent for anyone who plays the game? You are saying the game shouldn't be full price because it does none of the things you want in a game. But that isn't how stuff works.

Not to mention what the heck is a day or two of fun worth? A 2 day ticket to Disney world is $101 for example.
    The questing seems hollow from what they've shown, as does the trading. The center of the universe is vague. Naming is the only thing. You leave a planet and it gets reset, it doesn't matter what you do. you can't play with friends, or even random other people.

I'm in my late 20s, I don't go to disney land.

I never said it was a bad game I said it's not a $60 game. I don't mind if you waste your money. Just don't be mad when you spend $60 and are done with it in a few days.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2016-07-23 at 07:22 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't need questing, I don't need trading, I don't need multiplayer in single player games.
    All I want from no man's sky is the vast universe to explore the hell out of it, a sense of progression, decent visuals and adequate controls. It's what it offers and it's worth 60 bucks.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't need questing, I don't need trading, I don't need multiplayer in single player games.
    All I want from no man's sky is the vast universe to explore the hell out of it, a sense of progression, decent visuals and adequate controls. It's what it offers and it's worth 60 bucks.

I just feel the setting of the game doesn't completely fill an exploration void. For example, I love Subnautica. You progress, you explore, it's visually well done and has decent controls. But Subnautica has jumpscares, it has thrills, it has constant tension with a balance between air, distance and life. From what I've seen of No Man's Sky, it's a game about marvel and wonder, but that gets (human nature) old really quickly.

Deleted
    Guessing a long way from release, but Dual Universe looks better planet wise & just like NMS, you can fly from planet to space & vice versa.
    One hugely better thing about Dual Universe.. You can build things. Terraform, even make your own space stations etc.
    The one in a demo I saw, the station was 8 miles (or km, I forget) long.

Wowsers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Subnautica is a very narrow experience compared to No man's sky. In no man's sky you have billions of Subnauticas. As no man's sky is also a survival game. So the thrills of one subnautica are just a small part of the game. There are other thrills of bigger scale that take place in space. The thrills are different but so are the games.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

seems like a worse version of... that early 2000s space exploration/trading/combat game

i forget wat its called.

The questing seems hollow from what they've shown, as does the trading. The center of the universe is vague. Naming is the only thing. You leave a planet and it gets reset, it doesn't matter what you do. you can't play with friends, or even random other people.

I'm in my late 20s, I don't go to disney land.

I never said it was a bad game I said it's not a $60 game. I don't mind if you waste your money. Just don't be mad when you spend $60 and are done with it in a few days.
    Pretty sure this is wrong. Whatever you do is permanent, at least to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    This poor game is going to fall victim to get ran over by the hype train, so sad.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Hmm. From what I can tell from the new trailer it looks like trading basically consists of visiting the same generic space-suited humanoid NPC sitting in a sterile room. I hope they employ some variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    Pretty sure this is wrong. Whatever you do is permanent, at least to you.
    You are right, but it's meaningless to change something only you can see.

Also, they intentionally made the game so that players wouldn't see 99.99% of the planets etc. If they focused more on making better gameplay and less on making a grandiose universe, it would be a better game.

Again I didn't say it was a bad game, I said it's not a 60$ game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Hmm. From what I can tell from the new trailer it looks like trading basically consists of visiting the same generic space-suited humanoid NPC sitting in a sterile room. I hope they employ some variation.
    But it's only $60, why would you expect a full game for that price?

Sorry, my mistake. One of them has a round visor, the other one has a square visor.

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Guessing a long way from release, but Dual Universe looks better planet wise & just like NMS, you can fly from planet to space & vice versa.
    One hugely better thing about Dual Universe.. You can build things. Terraform, even make your own space stations etc.
    The one in a demo I saw, the station was 8 miles (or km, I forget) long.

Wowsers!
    Dual Universe looks more akin to Space Engineers or a suped-up Minecraft, rather than being comparable to No Man's Sky. At its core, Dual Universe is a builder game, not an exploration game.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are right, but it's meaningless to change something only you can see.
    Everything you do is meaningless. Game or real life.
    See how it works?

15+ Year Old Account
    The questing seems hollow from what they've shown, as does the trading. The center of the universe is vague. Naming is the only thing. You leave a planet and it gets reset, it doesn't matter what you do. you can't play with friends, or even random other people. I never said it was a bad game I said it's not a $60 game. I don't mind if you waste your money. Just don't be mad when you spend $60 and are done with it in a few days.
    You can play with friends or even strangers. If you are both on the same planet you will be able to see each other. It just isn't designed around being a multiplayer or co-op game. Which there is nothing wrong with that. Your qualifications for a $60 dollar game have been really vague and general. If you get a few days out of it then it will be on par with many other $60 games. Age is irrelevant to going to disney land but that is missing the point all together. It was to show that "two day playing a game" can equal $60 or higher. Because other forms of entertainment for two days can be way higher then that.

And if you don't mind that I and others waste their money then please stop telling us how we could be mad, or that the game isn't worth "full price" "only two days of gameplay" etc. No body needs to here that because it is all about if you like the type of game that NMS is. And everything you have stated shows that you don't care for this type of game in the slightest.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, they intentionally made the game so that players wouldn't see 99.99% of the planets etc. If they focused more on making better gameplay and less on making a grandiose universe, it would be a better game.
    That is the thing about procedural generated content though. It takes as much work to generate 1,000 planets as it does to generate 10 million planets. Because the same formula controls how it was all generated. So in the end it really doesn't matter how large the universe is for the game play aspects. They could easily focus on those to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

So are you implying that games under $60 are not full games? You keep bringing up "Full game" with the $60 price point. NMS is a full game it just isn't the game you want it to be. Fall, Half, Any amount in between has little bearing on the price. Over the course of game releases there have been ones at every price point that fit into any manner of "complete" status.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Remember when full games use to cost like 120$ back in the old days?

lol
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/company-claim...ut-permission/

Another potential lawsuit for Hello Games. This one though doesn't want to stop the launch of the game but if it is true then they will be getting a decent chunk of the sales. It is a pretty big thing for Hello Games to over look in my opinion.
    https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/756889227095318528 Turns out they don't actually use the formula, but it is understandable that Genicap would think so since Sean has talked about them using it before.

Also apparently the original news site that reported on it was some sensationalist outlet that "mistook" talk normally about the issue for suing HG.
    Last edited by Tryuk; 2016-07-23 at 04:55 PM.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions