Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

"It is unranked, play what you want"

As stated in the title, this is the sentence I hate the most when playing unranked because my friends are not online for ranked games.

How is it possible to have fun in a competitive game where you get raped in a game?
    I mean, I don't have problems with losing. As long as the game was really nice. But if you get completely wrecked by the other team because of your bad setup, how can you enjoy a game?

Typical scenario: Low level Genji getting counterpicked, does no damage at all and dies the whole time pretty fast. Not even trying to counterpick the enemy though. How are you able to enjoy this game when you get nothing done?
    Not only for your own mentality, but you also destroy the game experience of others in this game.

How can somebody not care for anything at all?

I am a person that does anything to win. Not only in games. I am the same person in real life, too. I want to be succesful. I work hard for my job (and I worked hard to get that awesome job where I am able to earn a lot of money while having fun), I work hard in games to win.

Does that mean that you, who don't care at all in games, don't care for anything in real life at all, too?

But in games overall you only get flamed if you ask in a really friendly way if those people can change something. But that's humanity these days I guess.

Beside that, there are also people doing this in ranked, though not that often (but I guess if you are low rank it's happening more often, at least I am higher rank with my friends :P)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post

Does that mean that you, who don't care at all in games, don't care for anything in real life at all, too?
    I guess it is the other way....In real life you have to follow rules and adapt. You get paid for your job, you have your role in the family/relationship.
    But you did not pay others games, so how can you "decide" "how" to play a game?

The players follow policies in real life so they might play how they like online, just BECAUSE it is a game.

Last night I decided to tank my score, play Ana as offensive sniper and fool around and stuff.
    Thats selfish? Oh yes, absolutely. You dont pay my wages, you did not buy me Overwatch, so if you dislike my playstyle, click "avoid" this player.... Find yourself some groups and you will leave the "bad" MMR really soon.

(i am trying to provoke here, so please don't take this literally. I wanna show there are different mindsets and approaches in gaming experience after all)

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to just kinda mess around when I'm solo queueing. Either learning a new hero or whatever. That said, if I'm, for some reason, the last to pick (I'm usually the first, thanks SSD) I'll pick what benefits the team, be it a tank or a healer. If I'm the first, I'll just stick with that hero because I'm usually trying to learn how to play it.
    If I'm queueing up with others though, I'll take it at least somewhat seriously, happily swapping characters when it's needed.

In ranked (Which I don't actually play), I'd expect people to take it seriously though

"Different playstyles" don't matter. If you are being ineffective and you know it, you're losing on purpose... which I assume is reportable behavior.

Deleted
    In non-ranked I'm there to practice a particular hero, not to practice winning. I get your frustration because I've been in your exact position in many other games, but try to understand that some people play for self-improvement more than the joy of winning any one particular game.

In non-ranked, I'm that Hanzo/Genji/Tracer picker. I'm sorry if I cost the team the game, but what I care about is what I take out of any particular game, and practice is a lot more valuable than the end result to me.

Hope you can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spagetto View Post
    Well this is a completely bullshit statement. What if you're being ineffective on EVERY hero because you're having a bad match? Guess you should just be reported like the scum you are, right?
    You can normally tell the difference though. The OP has a good example. A hero that gets counter picked... you do little damage because you're countered... you do little damage as a result. That refusal to change is the issue. Trying your best and failing is one thing... doing whatever you want in a team setting "because its my game!" is bullshit.

My first pick is based on team and map. If the team decided to not play as one, I'll switch off to whatever I feel like. If it's comp, my switch off is usual Roadhog, because I don't have much competition in my rating range when playing him. In Normie mode, I don't think it really matters much.

Deleted
    Of course I understand what you mean with self improvement. I do it myself. But if you are hard countered you can not learn. Why don't you change the hero then?

I have this game. I don't play this game due to this kind of mindset. Its the same in other games like League. Too rigid. I play for my fun and not your enjoyment. Tough shit if you don't like it. Sometimes gaming is not about winning. Plenty of games are just fun to play.

(Prop hunt in Garry's mod is a prime example. Its just fun to play)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You can normally tell the difference though. The OP has a good example. A hero that gets counter picked... you do little damage because you're countered... you do little damage as a result. That refusal to change is the issue. Trying your best and failing is one thing... doing whatever you want in a team setting "because its my game!" is bullshit.
    But if you keep swapping every time you get countered, even if you're the counter to someone on the opposing team.. What do you do? And how do you learn how to do reasonable against your counters if you just give up every time you see them?

I love the "different playstyles" argument. I bet those people are the same people that ran 10-10-11 builds in WoW when talent points were a thing. I didn't realize "bad" was a playstyle.
    Beta Club Brosquad

In this game, in my experience, people don't really take the unranked seriously. So don't be surprised if you see all sorts of craziness in unranked. I always figured unranked was for practice or casuals and ranked was for those that wanted to take the game serious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    I have this game. I don't play this game due to this kind of mindset. Its the same in other games like League. Too rigid. I play for my fun and not your enjoyment. Tough shit if you don't like it. Sometimes gaming is not about winning. Plenty of games are just fun to play.

(Prop hunt in Garry's mod is a prime example. Its just fun to play)
    So you are telling me you have fun in a game when you get destroyed game by game without any chance?
    With that attitude you are the perfect example of people I hate. It's still a teamgame. If you don't want to be a teamplayer you should stick to singleplayer games if you can't carry with the way you are playing.

If you are doing fine I don't care what you play. But if you totally suck and won't change it you will lose the game for 5 other players.

Deleted
    Because that's what quickplay is for. If i want to get better on a hero i have to play him a lot, if it's something like genji or tracer than what your team does is pretty much irrelevant because you have to learn how to deal with the enemy on your own because that is the role you have to play in a competitive game later on. You also won't switch heroes if you get counterpicked or if you suck because guess what that is exactly what you have to try to learn how to deal with. So tough cookies but why in the world would I ever pick heroes I play well in quick play. Seriously. If my team is not on and I don't want to learn how to play something new I just do something other than play overwatch because there is literally no reason to play quickplay other than to try some things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    But if you keep swapping every time you get countered, even if you're the counter to someone on the opposing team.. What do you do? And how do you learn how to do reasonable against your counters if you just give up every time you see them?
    Truthfully, I don't even think most of those people know they are being counter picked. By design of the game, I think you are "supposed" to chose a different hero if you are counter picked. I know a lot of people like to have a "main" or a set of go to characters, but this game seems to be more about match ups. If I am counter picked, I always switch even in a casual match. It is more fun for me to turn the tables on the counter pick than to continued to be countered by using the same hero again.

Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    So you are telling me you have fun in a game when you get destroyed game by game without any chance?
    With that attitude you are the perfect example of people I hate. It's still a teamgame. If you don't want to be a teamplayer you should stick to singleplayer games if you can't carry with the way you are playing.

If you are doing fine I don't care what you play. But if you totally suck and won't change it you will lose the game for 5 other players.
    Pretty sure I did not say that. Pretty sure I said I don't play these kinds of games because of this reason.

Winning no matter the cost is not a good mindset.

"Yes we completed the mission. We had to kill all the civilians in the town and I lost my entire party........But we won!"

You are right. It is a team game. Not everyone is great at this style of game or even likes it. I prefer games where skill is better than the fact that one character is better vs another character. Which is EXACTLY what MOBAs are.

Deleted
    I paid 50 bucks for the game and if they add a new hero im going to play it regardless if you want me or not.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is why I don't played ranked, because I know I would be one of these people who will play the same hero unless I am getting completely stomped which doesn't really happen in quickplay. Plus im not the best at this game so I don't want to bring anyone down because I couldn't pull my weight.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBigglez View Post
    This is why I don't played ranked, because I know I would be one of these people who will play the same hero unless I am getting completely stomped which doesn't really happen in quickplay. Plus im not the best at this game so I don't want to bring anyone down because I couldn't pull my weight.
    The frustration that comes with it isn't worth it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Truthfully, I don't even think most of those people know they are being counter picked. By design of the game, I think you are "supposed" to chose a different hero if you are counter picked. I know a lot of people like to have a "main" or a set of go to characters, but this game seems to be more about match ups. If I am counter picked, I always switch even in a casual match. It is more fun for me to turn the tables on the counter pick than to continued to be countered by using the same hero again.
    And I'll do that when I'm playing with others, but in solo queue I'm there to learn a specific character, or to dick around, not be serious