Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    But Chronicles also makes a point that one Titan of the Pantheon could pluck the most powerful Old God out of Azeroth without trouble, they just realized the damage it did to Azeroth and chose to let their ground troops battle. The Old Gods are in no way on the strength level of the Pantheon, even combined, they stood no chance.
    That's why it's called retcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Weren't OGs a WoW creation?
    They were already around in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne and maybe earlier, but I did not pay attention back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Wind View Post
    The in-game book from Vanilla. This blue post was made during 2012. Cataclysm was released in 2010.

At the time the blue post was made. It was officially canon. Therefore, the Pantheon, united, only barely defeated the Old Gods, divided, at that point in time.
    It says nothing about the actual strength of the titans. It's a lot harder to subdue something than it is to outright kill it.

Also N'Zoth appeared to be the strongest before Chronicle vol.1 came out.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    N'zoth is still lurking. The Titans couldn't defeat it... (Source)
    Hiding doesn't make one the strongest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    It says nothing about the actual strength of the titans. It's a lot harder to subdue something than it is to outright kill it.

Hiding doesn't make one the strongest.
    Doesn't matter if it doesn't say anything about their strength. The Pantheon, united, only barely defeated the Old Gods, divided, at that time.

Doesn't matter how or why, Titans couldn't defeat N'Zoth, at that point in time. Speed and intelligence are equally valuable.
    Last edited by Night Wind; 2016-07-23 at 08:00 PM.
    Shadows gather when the raven swallows the day. Burning sky is extinguished as black wings fold gently about the heavens. Rest, my children, rest. For even the sun must sleep. (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter if it doesn't say anything about their strength. The Pantheon, united, only barely defeated the Old Gods, divided, at that time.

Doesn't matter how or why, Titans couldn't defeat N'Zoth, at that point in time. Speed and intelligence are equally valuable.
    He is right though, Aman'thul instantly destroyed the strongest Old God like if it was a fly. The problem with this approach is that it ends up destroying what they try to save too.

What barely defeated Old Gods were not titans, but their watchers and their armies, that's quite a lot of difference in power there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I saw the Azshara ghost quest and heard the of the dagger whispers, but they don't seem to be much more than fan service mentions.

If N'Zoth was indeed about to break out, wouldn't we get more than whispers from one class artifact?

And Azshara, I don't know the whole context of the quest chain leading up to her ghost/vision thing. Is it actually imperative to the story or just fan service? Will she be anything more than a fleeting mention?
    They wouldn't throw them into quests and dagger whispers just for kicks and giggles. The last 3 expansions have all tied into each other. MoP led into WoD, WoD led into Legion, and it looking like Legion is leading into N'zoth and Azshara. Also N'zoth has shown more then once to be the more tactical Old God. He would want to keep his prison break off the radar as possible and not have minions going around saying "Hey scrubs N'zoth is coming. You all are going to die." Cough Cough C'thun and Yogg-Saron

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    He is right though, Aman'thul instantly destroyed the strongest Old God like if it was a fly. The problem with this approach is that it ends up destroying what they try to save too.

What barely defeated Old Gods were not titans, but their watchers and their armies, that's quite a lot of difference in power there.
    Yeah in the current lore, it was retconned with Chronicle vol.1
    Shadows gather when the raven swallows the day. Burning sky is extinguished as black wings fold gently about the heavens. Rest, my children, rest. For even the sun must sleep. (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah in the current lore, it was retconned with Chronicle vol.1
    The blue post you linked was already a retcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The blue post you linked was already a retcon.
    Aman'thul killing the strongest Old God was retconned in Chronicle vol. 1

Edit: oh, you're talking about the Old Gods working together at first then it being changed to them being divided. Yeah, it was retconned.
    Last edited by Night Wind; 2016-07-23 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This does not matter, its the current lore, that's it. Retcon or not, you will have to deal with it now, guys.

Basically Old Gods got their power level cut to make way for Void Lords and make them really scary, as in "look, a Titan can squish Old God like a bug, but so terrified of Void Lords that he is literally set to a millennia long task to destroy everything so Void Lords can not manifest in the universe". it's fine really and honestly it explains how we were able to fight back Old Gods in WoW - they are extremely powerful, but they are not on the level of Pantheon, Burning Legion or their masters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    This does not matter, its the current lore, that's it. Retcon or not, you will have to deal with it now, guys.

Basically Old Gods got their power level cut to make way for Void Lords and make them really scary, as in "look, a Titan can squish Old God like a bug, but so terrified of Void Lords that he is literally set to a millennia long task to destroy everything so Void Lords can not manifest in the universe". it's fine really and honestly it explains how we were able to fight back Old Gods in WoW - they are extremely powerful, but they are not on the level of Pantheon, Burning Legion or their masters.
    I know that. But Aquamonkey said "When have the Old Gods ever been anything other than mid-tier?"

So I showed him that the Pantheon together only barely defeated the divided Old Gods and the Titans were unable to defeat N'Zoth was canon at one point in time.

I know that. But Aquamonkey said "When have the Old Gods ever been anything other than mid-tier?"

So I showed him that the Pantheon together only barely defeated the divided Old Gods and the Titans were unable to defeat N'Zoth was canon at one point in time.
    Aman'thul picked up Y'Shaarj, the strongest of the Old Gods, and squished him between his index thinger and thumb. The Old Gods are not only weaker, they are trivial threats to an adult Titan.

The other three Old Gods never even fought against an actual Titan. They most definitely didn't win any fight against one. There might be some confusion due to inconsistent use of the name, though, with some Titan constructs erroneously being referred to as Titans themselves.

The whole "Titans were holding back against the OG for reasons" isn't exactly a new development, either. We've known that for years before the Chronicle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Aman'thul picked up Y'Shaarj, the strongest of the Old Gods, and squished him between his index thinger and thumb. The Old Gods are not only weaker, they are trivial threats to an adult Titan.

The other three Old Gods never even fought against an actual Titan. They most definitely didn't win any fight against one. There might be some confusion due to inconsistent use of the name, though, with some Titan constructs erroneously being referred to as Titans themselves.

The whole "Titans were holding back against the OG for reasons" isn't exactly a new development, either. We've known that for years before the Chronicle.
    It was retconned.....

I am most intrigued by the relationship between C’Thun, Yogg-Saron, and N’Zoth. Their glory was also the root of their momentary defeat; that the Pantheon, united, only barely triumphed over my eldritch masters, divided, speaks to their power and incomprehensible existence.(Source)
    It specifically says the Pantheon. They are talking about the Titans, not titans keepers.

It specifically says the Pantheon. They are talking about the Titans, not titans keepers.
    It says they barely triumphed. Not that they're weak. In fact, there's nothing in there that contradicts the Titans having held back by only sending the Keepers.
    The poster also makes it quite clear that he's speaking from the position of an Old God supporter, which doesn't exactly make him a reliable source.

Your sacrosanct quote also post-dates Cataclysm, when it was conclusively established that the Titans were perfectly capable of remaking the planet and completely eradicating all Old God presence, but for a then unknown reason decided against it.

So, yeah, no retcon, and that quote never meant what you claimed it to in the first place, as that was contradicted by previously established and currently still valid lore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Can you imagine "Kill 10 old gods" quests in the first leveling zone of some expansion ?
    "collect 15 Old God Teeth." sounds more likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It says they barely triumphed. Not that they're weak. In fact, there's nothing in there that contradicts the Titans having held back by only sending the Keepers.
    The poster also makes it quite clear that he's speaking from the position of an Old God supporter, which doesn't exactly make him a reliable source.

Your sacrosanct quote also post-dates Cataclysm, when it was conclusively established that the Titans were perfectly capable of remaking the planet and completely eradicating all Old God presence, but for a then unknown reason decided against it.

So, yeah, no retcon, and that quote never meant what you claimed it to in the first place, as that was contradicted by previously established and currently still valid lore.
    Lol, so you decide which blue posts are reliable sources?

That's not how it works. When two lore sources conflict, the newest version is the canon version. The post was actual canon for a time. So yes, it was a retcon.

I think it's vanishingly unlikely that we are ever going to fight a Void Lord, just like we are unlikely to ever directly fight Sargeras.
    We might fight their avatars (although frankly, the Old Gods basically already are the avatars of the void lords), but never one of the beings themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I think it's vanishingly unlikely that we are ever going to fight a Void Lord, just like we are unlikely to ever directly fight Sargeras.
    We might fight their avatars (although frankly, the Old Gods basically already are the avatars of the void lords), but never one of the beings themselves.
    I doubt this. It'll be extremely anti-climatic to not fight the end, most powerful bosses ever in game. We might not be fighting them in the next 1 or 2 expansions, but I'm quite sure we would eventually get that done before WoW ends.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    I doubt this. It'll be extremely anti-climatic to not fight the end, most powerful bosses ever in game. We might not be fighting them in the next 1 or 2 expansions, but I'm quite sure we would eventually get that done before WoW ends.
    Remember, this is an MMO, not a story-driven game.
    No expansion is intentionally ever going to be the last one, it will have been made intending for there to be something afterwards.

Any conclusion to Warcraft's overall storyline cannot happen within WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ogs will probably have their own dedicated expansion, probably one before we take the fight to the void. I'd lvoe tos ee each og get a raid.