Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Have any evidence to support this assertion?
    yes, the places without heavy religion influence do the best...

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    what is drumpf?
    I think it is when someone gets so angry saying Donald Trump, they can't properly translate coherent words from brain to computer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    yes, the places without heavy religion influence do the best...
    Great source you have.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it is when someone gets so angry saying Donald Trump, they can't properly translate coherent words from brain to computer.
    It's actually his family's original surname.
    http://www.snopes.com/donald-drumpf/

Back on topic:
    Undo the Sykes-Picot agreement. Though, it's probably too late for that to do anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshin69 View Post
    just get rid of religion, and that will fix 90% of all things wrong with the world
    Given history like US prohibition, I'm prone to think banning something people are hopelessly addicted to and dependent on will only make the problem worse.

Really we're best off just leaving them to kill each other, as it seems outside assistance is neither wanted nor particularly improving the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    This is good in theory, but it’s really slow. You have to A) find these people, without arousing suspicion, B)take them out without getting caught, and C)get out BEFORE you’re caught and executed.
    this is all under the assumption that it isn't already happening.

if 'the war' is being fought that way... and fought well... very few people would be aware it was going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    this is all under the assumption that it isn't already happening.

if 'the war' is being fought that way... and fought well... very few people would be aware it was going on.
    You’re definitely not wrong, and perhaps that is the case, but as you said, we’ll never really know until it’s done, will we?
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is good in theory, but it’s really slow. You have to A) find these people, without arousing suspicion, B)take them out without getting caught, and C)get out BEFORE you’re caught and executed.
    My biggest issue with the idea is that it is very movie inspired. A quick 2 minute montage with some catchy music and boom, solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    It's actually his family's original surname.
    http://www.snopes.com/donald-drumpf/

Back on topic:
    Undo the Sykes-Picot agreement. Though, it's probably too late for that to do anything now.
    At any rate, neither Trump nor his father ever bore the surname Drumpf, and whether Trump's grandfather had also anglicized the name at some point remained unclear.
    Enough said.

I'm pretty confident that we have pretty good ideas of who these jokers are, we are just to damned sqeamish to make the shit happen.

Nothing can be done. I mean Assad is secular and sane but if we support him then we'll just create more sunni jihadists. The best we can do is try to protect the minorities caught in the middle but both sides in the sunni-shia war will blame the west.

The root of the evil is sunni wahhabism that tells young men that all they have to do to get into paradise is commit jihad against non-sunnis' which atones for your past sins. How do you fight that?

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    1) Stop meddling in the ME.
    If USA and allies did not mettle in the ME then they would all eventually band together and be an enemy of western values. So we do our best at keeping them down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    My biggest issue with the idea is that it is very movie inspired. A quick 2 minute montage with some catchy music and boom, solved.
    Except it works when done properly, the whole idea of “cutting the head off the snake”, or in this case it would me more analogous of “cutting the wings off a bird”.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except it works when done properly, the whole idea of “cutting the head off the snake”, or in this case it would me more analogous of “cutting the wings off a bird”.
    They replace their leaders constantly though

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I totally understand the OPs argument, but it's pretty flawed. You need to read ISIS's and Al-Qaeda's philosophy and not just base opinions on news cycles. The stated purpose of both is the elimination of all non-muslims (and all non-Sunni Muslims in the case of ISIS). Their stated goal is *not* the removal of non-Muslim military bases from the Middle East, like apparently the OP and many others mistakenly believe. That's why you constantly see bombings of non-Sunni mosques and non-Sunni shopping areas even in Iraq by ISIS.

Also, most ISIS militants use AK-47s, these aren't weapons introduced into the Middle East by the US.

Lastly, keep in mind 9-11. Before 9-11 in the late 90's Bill Clinton had been given intel on Al-Qaeda, where Osama was in Afghanistan, and that they were planning major terrorist attacks. His decision was whether to leave them be and not "poke the beehive" as it were, thinking if we leave them alone they'll leave us alone (much like the OP suggests)...or he could take the option that the military suggested and strike first. He opted to take the if we leave them alone they'll leave us alone road, and we all know how that turned out.

There has been a long line of mistakes and bad decisions by the West in dealing with the radical Islamic problem. But thinking if we just pull all military from the mideast that there won't be attacks like we've seen, is wishful thinking. The goal of these terrorist groups isn't to have the West leave the Mideast. It's to eliminate all people in the world who are not part of ISIS caliphate, including non-Sunni Muslims in the Mideast - much less people in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Nothing can be done. I mean Assad is secular and sane but if we support him then we'll just create more sunni jihadists. The best we can do is try to protect the minorities caught in the middle but both sides in the sunni-shia war will blame the west.

The root of the evil is sunni wahhabism that tells young men that all they have to do to get into paradise is commit jihad against non-sunnis' which atones for your past sins. How do you fight that?
    by trying to alleviate the economic conditions that cause young men to look at an early death as a reasonable outcome. The young men who are susceptible to terrorist groups' message are those without solid life/work/family prospects (regularly blowing up arab countries has created a large number of these young men, unfortunately.)

there is no short term solution, really. The west (i.e. the U.S.) intervened in and occupied Iraq, and the result was a costly disaster. We intervened in Libya and did not occupy, and the result was a costly disaster. We're currently doing neither (well, mostly) in Syria and while that book on that situation is not done being written, it has all the appearances of being a costly disaster. We do not have a good answer for the problem of an autocratic middle eastern country which is shaking itself apart.

it took hundreds of years of violence, culminating in two continent-devastating industrial wars, for the modern, civil anti-war consensus to emerge in the western world. It literally took a near-apocalypse for the west to agree that 'yo, maybe we need a better way to solve our problems than killing one another.' And we still forget that lesson from time to time.

The middle east does not share that history; in many places the western concept of the nation state is not even endorsed (i.e. the afghani/pakistani border, or modern iraq.) And the places that have had relatively modern governments that might've grown into allies we've generally fucked with so much that they'll take generations to trust the west (i.e. Iran.)

Deleted
    Terrorists take the idea of balance and throws it down a flight of stairs, take its lunch money, kick your ribs in, then toss a grenade down as they leave.
    you misunderstood my post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    They replace their leaders constantly though
    Which is why I said it’s more like cutting the wings off a bird, it’s like what Supertony said, kill the people with brains. Engineers who know how to make bombs, financers, recruiters out in the field, those are all valuable assets that are hard enough to acquire in the first place, but even harder to replace once lost forever. And on top of that, if people hear about “a well-known recruiter or bomb maker of ISIS was killed” then people with that knowledge will think “well shit, if I go and join ISIS, i’ll probably end up dead too, let’s not do that".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    you misunderstood my post.
    You said *paraphrasing* “Without shadows, there can be no light”, yes? I’m saying that what these people do go beyond the idea of “how would we know good if there was no bad to compare it against.” What they do is truly evil, and our world would improve with their eradication.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm pretty confident that we have pretty good ideas of who these jokers are, we are just to damned sqeamish to make the shit happen.
    we might know who they are, but 1) knowing where they are at a given time and 2) being able to strike at them are different things

ed: I mean, U.S. forces over the course of time have targeted and killed many AQ/ISIS/terrorist/whatever 'middle managers.' It isn't as though we don't regularly strike at these people with drones and other methods. The people we're fighting aren't stupid.
    Last edited by Cheze; 2016-07-23 at 10:10 PM.

Enough said.
    Well, We need to make Donald Drumpf again!!
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why I said it’s more like cutting the wings off a bird, it’s like what Supertony said, kill the people with brains. Engineers who know how to make bombs, financers, recruiters out in the field, those are all valuable assets that are hard enough to acquire in the first place, but even harder to replace once lost forever. And on top of that, if people hear about “a well-known recruiter or bomb maker of ISIS was killed” then people with that knowledge will think “well shit, if I go and join ISIS, i’ll probably end up dead too, let’s not do that".

- - - Updated - - -

You said *paraphrasing* “Without shadows, there can be no light”, yes? I’m saying that what these people do go beyond the idea of “how would we know good if there was no bad to compare it against.” What they do is truly evil, and our world would improve with their eradication.
    yet they will keep getting those people. Bombs are not hard to make, its very eAsy and accessible online. Recruiters are a dime a dozen, just look at linkedin. And finance? They keep getting money from countries, not necessarily individuals.