Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Globalism and the Future

There seems to be this big boogeyman of the Alt-Right and the more conspiracy-prone peoples of this big bad threat of globalism.

I didn't even know what globalism was for a time, nobody I spoke to about it seemed to offer me a good, solid definition and those that did, rarely provided a sound argument against it.

I've had a few talks with Connal on the subject and my opinion on the idea of a world government deviates from his opinions slightly.

I believe that a world government won't be feasible, at least within the span of a few hundred to a thousand years. I do however think that globalization, travel and communications will evolve to the point where you might be able to travel from Paris to New Delhi and back like you can travel state to state within the US.

I've wrote a few short stories (which I won't share with you guys because I'm embarrassed of my work) that had characters living in a world that is full of a future where these large economic and political unions dominate the globe. A Western Union comprised of Europe, a more liberal Levant and North Africa and Central Asia or a North American Union or an Asian-Pacific Union between Japan, Korea and Oceania.

I really would just like to have a conversation on globalism. I'm not even entirely sure what it is because I've gotten so many different, unrelated definitions. However, I doubt there is an elitist group that pushes for globalism by flooding the West with refugees. Of course I don't know everything and I don't pretend to know what's objectively the best for us as people.

It is just that, a boogeyman. They fill it with their delusional fantasies. The problem we have is very much like the one we had in the 1930's just not as severe. Economic inequality is extreme, like it was then, people are struggling and turning to the nationalist authoritarians of the world for answers. The answer is not that or protectionism. The answer is to properly tax the 1%. We did that from World War II up until Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. Then all of a sudden we started lowering taxes enormously and deregulate the financial and banking industries which of course in absolute numbers favored the wealthy disproportionately. And so the gap widened and widened as time passed. Then the economy tanked. The answer is to have a high tax bracket for the top 1%. The answer is to tax properties, maybe even wealth. That's the solution to the problem. It's not to cut off trade or blame immigrants. It's not "globalization".

7+ Year Old Account
    It's a bogeyman.

The fact that someone like Trump has a chance to become president lies completely at the feet of globalization. The middle and lower classes turn to these figures when times get tough for them.

Globalization only creates more wealth inequality. When they sign these trade deals that promise rises in GDP they forget to tell everyone that the entire rise will go to those at the top and not to those in the middle or bottom while at the same time taking more from them to give to those at the top.

And then immigration helps to keep wages stagnant with an unlimited labor supply so those at the top gain even more and you wonder where support for people like Trump comes from. And don't act like the elite class is made of right wingers as that's completely false.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    The fact that someone like Trump has a chance to become president lies completely at the feet of globalization. The middle and lower classes turn to these figures when times get tough for them.

Globalization only creates more wealth inequality. When they sign these trade deals that promise rises in GDP they forget to tell everyone that the entire rise will go to those at the top and not to those in the middle or bottom while at the same time taking more from them to give to those at the top.

And then immigration helps to keep wages stagnant with an unlimited labor supply so those at the top gain even more and you wonder where support for people like Trump comes from. And don't act like the elite class is made of right wingers as that's completely false.
    That right there is the myth. Throughout the late 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's we had a financial and banking sector that was properly regulated and, most importantly, the taxes on the top 1% was HIGH, and we had real estate and wealth taxation. It's when we removed all of that that over time we got back to where we were before we implemented those after the Great Depression in the 30's. Just tax the wealthy again, and spend that money on schools, healthcare, housing, etc. That will save individuals money on not having to spend as much money on those things, so they will have more money over to spend on others things. This will grow the economy and create more jobs. That's the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post

Globalism differs from globalization. Economic globalization has existed since the Silk Road and trade between the Roman Empire, India, East Africa and China.

Globalization does not also entail immigration, we get products from Japan and China, but there are not massive waves of Chinese and Japanese immigration to the United States.

And the elite are ultimately the uber-wealthy, the billionaires and influential figures, regardless of political status.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    That right there is the myth. Throughout the late 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's we had a financial and banking sector that was properly regulated and, most importantly, the taxes on the top 1% was HIGH, and we had real estate and wealth taxation. It's when we removed all of that that over time we got back to where we were before we implemented those after the Great Depression in the 30's. Just tax the wealthy again, and spend that money on schools, healthcare, housing, etc. That will save individuals money on not having to spend as much money on those things, so they will have more money over to spend on others things. This will grow the economy and create more jobs. That's the solution.
    I didn't say that taxes shouldn't be higher for the wealthy. I was just pointing out that comparing today to the 50's, 60's, and 70's when taxes were higher is a false equivalency as it was also before mass immigration and globalization.

Part of the reason for taxes being lower today is because of the competition that globalization causes in a race to the bottom.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2016-07-23 at 11:15 PM.

yea lets turn the whole world into a single country so the politicians that control it, control the whole world without any challenge, great idea u plebs

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    yea lets turn the whole world into a single country so the politicians that control it, control the whole world without any challenge, great idea u plebs
    Who are you addressing exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Globalism is generally just various economies and cultures merging, borders diffusing. Without globalism, for example, the US has its own product and culture, and Canada has its own, with little to none crossing - while in our globalist world, most of the products you can get in the US you can also get in Canada, and most Canadians and Americans share, at least, a major part of their cultures. In fact, a person that doesn't get into the details and just travels to the US and to Canada (or its English-speaking part, at least) probably won't even notice a difference between them.

Globalism is not "good" or "bad", it is just an inevitable outcome in the world of rapidly developing technologies.

It certainly doesn't mean a united Earth government. I would argue that that, actually, is contrary to globalism, since globalism means merging societies, not someone dominating all societies. In a perfectly globalized world, the government probably wouldn't be needed at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    you can't because nowadays the wealthy have almost all their fortune hidden in one of the many tax paradise, like for example the ikea boss who lived in Switzerland and were he keep much of it's fortune instead of keeping it in sweden were tax are much higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Globalism is the sort of thing that reminds of that line from Jurassic Park.

Globalists ask "Could we?" and never "Should we?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

People that blame globalism are like the taxi companies blaming Uber on their business losses. Here's my advise, adapt or fall behind. Globalism started way before electricity was discovered and it won't stop anytime soon.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Who are you addressing exactly?
    the plebs, obviously

10+ Year Old Account
    Why blame your governments, politicians, and those who buy them out when they can point at a globe and say its this things fault? Its an easy way to deflect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Globalism is the sort of thing that reminds of that line from Jurassic Park.

Globalists ask "Could we?" and never "Should we?"
    "so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

at least quote it correctly!

The important thing to remember about globalism in the total world coverage OP has described is how it's handled by language. Anybody here who isn't speaking Mandarin or Cantonese is incorrect, for example. That scenario isn't likely to happen though, just because people want to be different globalism is actually impossible naturally. Even if you could unify the language, The second someone wants to invest in another language, or be different, globalism is destroyed.

Hilariously enough, if you want the Imperial system of measurements to vanish and give way to a totally metric system, but you can't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, then you're a hypocrite because you should start speaking Mandarin or Cantonese first if your goal is to unite humanity for progression. This means that supporting diversification actually hinders humanity, allowing power hungry robber barons to stay in power. Especially when it becomes a fight of "us vs them" but this means that the path to unity is to counter-intuitively build a healthy wall so everyone can grow in their own perspective.

The best system to demonstrate this is before our very eyes: Our planet Earth. We're so walled off from everyone else we don't even know if they exist, so nobody has to feel bad about the genocide of Cravvivijis Seventh that happened yesterday. If we were dragged into investing in such diversity, we'd have holiday and a mourning day every day.

Long story short, globalism isn't a real thing that people wrongly believe is a bogeyman. Rather, globalism is a lie used to manipulate people and is a very real bogeyman. The ironically exact opposite of initial discerning.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    People that blame globalism are like the taxi companies blaming Uber on their business losses. Here's my advise, adapt or fall behind. Globalism started way before electricity was discovered and it won't stop anytime soon.
    Those taxi companies had to purchase medallions for the right to exist, Uber just deputized stupid nobodies to do whatever they want without fear of liability which still exists and is probably adding toxins to our system as much as almost everything else that emerged out of the modern goal to earn a quick buck in the face of powers so rich and unwilling to relent because they want to enrich their third cousins and more that they've driven many to become so bohemian with their ethics.

Adapt or fall behind isn't going to work and this isn't the same condition as electricity which might have been wrongly stolen by Edison for the greater good cause because Tesla's ventures were counter-intuitive to keeping our civilization alive, though they did earn him the love of a dove of another universe. The analogy is incongruent because globalism will stop when you're eating locusts instead of steak and you can't live with the nostalgia of how great life was compared to the impoverished state you've arrived at and the measure between how much crappy life you have left isn't enough to stave off the urge to indulge in yet another "uber-company-like" lowering of business and life ethics in an attempt to escape eating sewer garbage for a day or two.

Of course the way they control people in china is impressive so I guess it might work after all when they get done doing it to us.

Hmmmm, guess I'm already adapting! As long as I get my soda I'm good. Woot!
    Last edited by Thoughtful Trolli; 2016-07-23 at 11:50 PM.

It makes everyone but extremely skilled workers and land holders much poorer then they would otherwise be in wealthy nations.

It also increases violence and introduces new violent ideologies to the local population.

It really is a shitty deal unless your paycheck is in the millions each year.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    an elitist group that pushes for globalism by flooding the West with refugees.
    The perceived source doesn't matter as much as the facts. The facts are the US has over 10 million illegals and for a European example Germany alone received over million in the last couple years.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-07-23 at 11:52 PM.

Deleted
    Ask the fine people of Detroit what they think about NAFTA and other abominations.