Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    You said *paraphrasing* “without shadows, there can be no light”, yes? I’m saying that what these people do go beyond the idea of “how would we know good if there was no bad to compare it against.” What they do is truly evil.
    Yes, but you have to think further. Think beyond that ! Don't look at it from a one-dimensional perspective.

If everyone on earth was evil. They wouldn't be evil, but normal. Amongst those that are evil there would be people that are less evil and those could be considered good.

Without "evil terrorists" there would be something else that would be the most "evil" in this world. It's all a matter of perspective. It is a very interesting phenomen in todays society. Just watch a movie and see that you sympathize way more with the protagonist no matter if they are evil or not.

Good and Evil are understood by our perception of society. There is no universal good and evil. There is no concept of good and evil that transcends our human understanding of it.

There will never be true global peace and harmonry on earth. It is impossible. First and foremost because people have a different definition of what that actually means. Even if you find a way to end terrorism there will be something else that people claim to be evil. Maybe the media makes mexican drug gangs responsible for everything bad in this world. Who knows.

I agree that the world should fight terrorists, but I disagree that innocent people should be harmed. At what point do we become evil without realizing it and just claiming our deeds as a lawful good act?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Caps lock obvioulsy makes a compelling argument, but will you stick to your guns, if
    a) Iran builds nukes
    b) ISIS acquires nukes
    c) who-the-fuck ever uses nukes against the west

If the answer is no, you might as well keep meddling now and hope for the best.
    I'd laugh if Iran got their nuclear weapons program up to a point where they could be unleashed on the USA. That is what the American government of the 1950's and all the greedy people who wanted the oil would deserve. They created the theocratic dictatorship that is modern day Iran, who up until the early 50's, were one of the most progressive countries in the Middle East. What has happened in 60 years since? They have gone to being a terrible place to live where women have no rights and they execute those who don't follow their religion.

Find three mutated humans, called "Precogs", who "previsualize" Terrorism acts by receiving visions of the future.

Chip everyone that arrives from an Islamic Country. (Otherwise they do not get in)
    Authorities can then track their movements...alarm goes off if they go to a Gun shop. Or rent a truck.
    You can also track who they associate with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    Yes, but you have to think further. Think beyond that ! Don't look at it from a one-dimensional perspective.

If everyone on earth was evil. They wouldn't be evil, but normal. Amongst those that are evil there would be people that are less evil and those could be considered good. That statement contradicts itself in so many ways.

Without "evil terrorists" there would be something else that would be the most "evil" in this world. It's all a matter of perspective. It is a very interesting phenomen in todays society. Just watch a movie and see that you sympathize way more with the protagonist no matter if they are evil or not.Not true, there are plenty of movies in recent memory where you look at the bad guy and go “shit, I feel bad for this guy.

Good and Evil are understood by our perception of society. There is no universal good and evil. There is no concept of good and evil that transcends our human understanding of it.I agree with you here, good and evil are constructs by our civilization based on things that either help or hinder our continued existence and progress.

There will never be true global peace and harmonry on earth. It is impossible. First and foremost because people have a different definition of what that actually means. Even if you find a way to end terrorism there will be something else that people claim to be evil. Maybe the media makes mexican drug gangs responsible for everything bad in this world. Who knows.That’s a pretty cynical outlook, I am of the opinion that eventually humanity will all eventually learn how to get along to the point that real social progress can occur. Right now, we’re a family of toddlers who want to play with the toy truck, but don’t know how to ask nicely for it, so instead we go over and hit the other kid until he starts crying, and then take the toy.

I agree that the world should fight terrorists, but I disagree that innocent people should be harmed. At what point do we become evil without realizing it and just claiming our deeds as a lawful good act?Thievery is unlawful, when you steal, you have to pay back what you stole, either with the item itself, or its worth in time. Murder is the thieving of a life, and since a life can’t be returned, you have only yours to pay with, which means either a lifetime prison sentence, or execution, preferably the former, but if someone is dangerous enough, then I support the death penalty, but only if the evidence is >99% accurate.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts, read at your leisure.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Ever notice we had no dire issues with the M.E until after the US helped develop the Taliban and AQ?
    That's not true. Even in the writings of the founders they talk about the problem of Muslims attacking ships and murdering people who don't convert to Islam (They tended to use the term "Mahometanism"). Heck, the Crusades started because Muslims started taking over cities and killing people. I'm sure all of this is a shock to you if you haven't actually read about history from contemporary sources. If you rely on the news media and school history books, it is understandable that you would think the way you do.

Islam has been a problem since Mohammed married a six year old and raped her by the time she was nine. It's been a problem since Mohammed told the Muslim warrior not to pull out of their sex slave and instead to finish in side of them. Islam is the problem.
    It's "should have" and "could have." When a native English speaker uses of in place of have, he or she looks ignorant.

Build a giant snow and cold machine over the middle-eastern countries in turmoil, make them have to focus on making it through the winter instead of on religious antics.

Failing that, the OP points are pretty damned good.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-07-23 at 10:46 PM.

Deleted
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts, read at your leisure.
    I see the problem here. You are one step behind. We are not on the same page. It is okay. We are talking past each other

I agree with you within the confines of society we live in, but outside of it is has no real value. Actually terrorism is a much smaller problem than obesiety, overpopulation, depleting resources, climate change and much more.

There will be a time when you get older and think to yourself "oh god why was I so stupid when I was young" haha. I am getting quite old. When I was younger there always was just one way to be good. One truth and one way to see things. Later on I realized how important it is to look at things from multiple point of views. Humans and human history are so complex that it is only a temporary state of perception that gives us the feeling of being able to decide good and evil. We fool ourselves to be right when in reality we are only another opinion.

It is hard to explain. There will be a time when you will understand (I hope). Things have to be experienced and felt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzhoof View Post
    That's not true. Even in the writings of the founders they talk about the problem of Muslims attacking ships and murdering people who don't convert to Islam (They tended to use the term "Mahometanism"). Heck, the Crusades started because Muslims started taking over cities and killing people. I'm sure all of this is a shock to you if you haven't actually read about history from contemporary sources. If you rely on the news media and school history books, it is understandable that you would think the way you do.

Islam has been a problem since Mohammed married a six year old and raped her by the time she was nine. It's been a problem since Mohammed told the Muslim warrior not to pull out of their sex slave and instead to finish in side of them. Islam is the problem.
    Geez its like they were the only pirates at the time....

Geez good thing for those Crusader liberators right?

You should finish the chapters of the history book you are readin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Remove American military bases in the Middle East. Stop meddling in the affairs of the Middle East. Stop destabilizing Middle Eastern governments and currencies.

Pat Buchanan surprisingly said it best: "The terrorists are over here, because we(Americans) are over there."

Every time a terrorist attacks the US, they say the same thing, "we are doing this because of what America is doing in our countries".
    You forget that Muslims kept attacking Europe non-stop for over 1000 years without a single Western military base in the area, except for a short time during the Crusades.

The attacks, piracy and slave raids didn't stop until North Africa and Middle East got conquered and colonized and the military bases were set up there. The fact that now the same shit resurfaces in the form of terrorism, taking advantage of the infinite stupidity and ignorance of liberals and all kind of Chamberlains, only proves that Islam has not evolved one bit.

Let me edit and add that the above refers to military based terrorism, and not social based terrorism.

What we are seeing in Europe, in my opinion is terrorism to change the cultural landscape towards Islamic values.
    And, considering that Islamic values are the complete opposite of everything that values freedom and equality of any kind, it should not be tolerated in the least.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2016-07-23 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see the problem here. You are one step behind. We are not on the same page. It is okay. We are talking past each other

I agree with you within the confines of society we live in, but outside of it is has no real value. Actually terrorism is a much smaller problem than obesiety, overpopulation, depleting resources, climate change and much more.

There will be a time when you get older and think to yourself "oh god why was I so stupid when I was young" haha. I am getting quite old. When I was younger there always was just one way to be good. One truth and one way to see things. Later on I realized how important it is to look at things from multiple point of views. Humans and human history are so complex that it is only a temporary state of perception that gives us the feeling of being able to decide good and evil. We fool ourselves to be right when in reality we are only another opinion.

It is hard to explain. There will be a time when you will understand (I hope). Things have to be experienced and felt.
    I have to ask, how old are you, exactly.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.

the United States has been beefing with muslim countries in north africa at least as far back as the turn of the 19th century (ironically back then our government had much more success negotiating with them)

Deleted
    I have to ask, how old are you, exactly.
    38. born in china and I moved to europe 15 years ago

10+ Year Old Account
    38. born in china and I moved to europe 15 years ago
    Well, then I can confirm you’re older than me, but not by the huge margin I thought, you’re only 14 years older than me. Which to be fair isn’t a small amount, but not the 30+ I guessed initially.

Deleted
    Well, then I can confirm you’re older than me, but not by the huge margin I thought, you’re only 14 years older than me. Which to be fair isn’t a small amount, but not the 30+ I guessed initially.
    It's alright. When I was 25 I felt like I was the smartest person on earth. When I was 27 I felt like I was an idiot with 25. Now when I look back I see how stupid I was 14 years ago. it's a lot. Once you pass 30 you become more rational and less emotional.

Old people are very smart. That is why old people always tell us to get a nice lady and enjoy live instead of paper chaining ourselves to money and material goods that only temporarily lighten up our hearts.

Wait for religion to die.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Wait for religion to die.
    That would take very long. If it is possible at all.

Also terrorism can be done by non-religious persons aswell

10+ Year Old Account
    It's alright. When I was 25 I felt like I was the smartest person on earth. When I was 27 I felt like I was an idiot with 25. Now when I look back I see how stupid I was 14 years ago. it's a lot. Once you pass 30 you become more rational and less emotional.

Old people are very smart. That is why old people always tell us to get a nice lady and enjoy live instead of paper chaining ourselves to money and material goods that only temporarily lighten up our hearts.
    It’s interesting you say that. I’m under no illusions that my intellect is anything but slightly above average, in a raw sense. But what I have that a lot of people lack these days is the other thing you mentioned, rational thought. Most situations I look at without emotion, only logic. And old people are not “smart” by definition, but they DO possess wisdom a lot of the time, and their wisdom is a valuable resource to the younger generation. And your final point, I don’t chain myself to “things”. I have possessions that I place a lot of sentimental value on, but that’s all, aside from the computer I’m currently on right now.

Deleted
    It’s interesting you say that. I’m under no illusions that my intellect is anything but slightly above average, in a raw sense. But what I have that a lot of people lack these days is the other thing you mentioned, rational thought. Most situations I look at without emotion, only logic. And old people are not “smart” by definition, but they DO possess wisdom a lot of the time, and their wisdom is a valuable resource to the younger generation. And your final point, I don’t chain myself to “things”. I have possessions that I place a lot of sentimental value on, but that’s all, aside from the computer I’m currently on right now.
    you are right. there is a difference between wisdom and logical thinking.

But it is also funny that 10 out of 10 people would consider themselves to be above average IQ and have the ability to objectively asses things and act rational.

I believe you though.

10+ Year Old Account
    you are right. there is a difference between wisdom and logical thinking.

But it is also funny that 10 out of 10 people would consider themselves to be above average IQ and have the ability to objectively asses things and act rational.

I believe you though.
    IQ doesn’t mean jack in the grand scheme of things. I’m Canadian, so we don’t even do IQ testing in our school system, it’s an antiquated system that should honestly be abolished, it makes both sides worse, the smart get more arrogant, and the less intelligent get a defeatist attitude.

Deleted
    IQ doesn’t mean jack in the grand scheme of things. I’m Canadian, so we don’t even do IQ testing in our school system, it’s an antiquated system that should honestly be abolished, it makes both sides worse, the smart get more arrogant, and the less intelligent get a defeatist attitude.
    As far as I know Germany and Netherlands don't do IQ tests in schools either. Are there any countries that do this? I always thought it to be a voluntary test