Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    Those taxi companies had to purchase medallions for the right to exist, Uber just deputized stupid nobodies to do whatever they want without fear of liability which still exists and is probably adding toxins to our system as much as almost everything else that emerged out of the modern goal to earn a quick buck in the face of powers so rich and unwilling to relent because they want to enrich their third cousins and more that they've driven many to become so bohemian with their ethics.
    A period or two helps. And none of that is Uber's fault if it falls in line with the law. If someone provides a better service for the buck spent, they will succeed. The Uber example wasn't so much trying to compare it to globalism but to the people complaining about either. Uber's success is simply on a tech and idea innovation standpoint.

Adapt or fall behind isn't going to work and this isn't the same condition as electricity which might have been wrongly stolen by Edison for the greater good cause because Tesla's ventures were counter-intuitive to keeping our civilization alive, though they did earn him the love of a dove of another universe. The analogy is incongruent because globalism will stop when you're eating locusts instead of steak and you can't live with the nostalgia of how great life was compared to the impoverished state you've arrived at and the measure between how much crappy life you have left isn't enough to stave off the urge to indulge in yet another "uber-company-like" lowering of business and life ethics in an attempt to escape eating sewer garbage for a day or two.
    You misunderstood a bit because I used electricity's discovery as a point in time, meaning it wasn't just communications technology that brought up globalism. Culture sharing and global trade has been around for a very long time, because they make sense.

And in what way does Uber lower business and life ethics? Did online shopping do that as well? What about e-mail? Smartphones? Tech innovation is simply our natural evolution to chase for something better, and we achieve that "better" as time goes on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    It makes everyone but extremely skilled workers and land holders much poorer then they would otherwise be in wealthy nations.

It also increases violence and introduces new violent ideologies to the local population.

It really is a shitty deal unless your paycheck is in the millions each year.
    Globalism is far more complex than what people simply equate to "job loss".
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

American-vanguarded globalism built up no fewer than the nine next largest economies in the world, with increasingly toxic domestic costs. It's not a question of whether it's good for the world, it's a question of whether the US can maintain the political capital necessary to continue to pay those costs domestically. That is much harder to answer, but I suspect the answer is "no." And if I am right, we'll see whether the US has built up enough of the rest of the world to deal with life sans America for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    It is just that, a boogeyman. They fill it with their delusional fantasies. The problem we have is very much like the one we had in the 1930's just not as severe. Economic inequality is extreme, like it was then, people are struggling and turning to the nationalist authoritarians of the world for answers. The answer is not that or protectionism. The answer is to properly tax the 1%. We did that from World War II up until Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. Then all of a sudden we started lowering taxes enormously and deregulate the financial and banking industries which of course in absolute numbers favored the wealthy disproportionately. And so the gap widened and widened as time passed. Then the economy tanked. The answer is to have a high tax bracket for the top 1%. The answer is to tax properties, maybe even wealth. That's the solution to the problem. It's not to cut off trade or blame immigrants. It's not "globalization".
    Just like Liberals are filled with their delusional fantasies as well. Globalism is not bad, but it can be if executed POORLY. See what is happening to Europe? That plan was done POORLY. You have to be fucking clever, and careful about Globalism. And you CANNOT force it, but Liberals are forcing everything. Hence, you see Alt-Right rising. I am Right-winged (I was left winged about 5 years ago), but there are some things I honestly dont agree with Alt Right. Personally I do hate Modern Age Liberalism (its why I leaned to Right wings). It turned to such toxic, cancerous minds.
    Last edited by Moon-Man; 2016-07-24 at 01:16 AM.

Look at all the outrage over TPP and TIPP on this forum, those treaties are about globalization and nobody wants them.

NAFTA was about globalization, it passed but people are still outraged over NAFTA 20 years later. NAFTA is part of why Trump is doing so well.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, globalism is the next big step for human civilization. We're already there, just not the governments. Many people communicate and do business over their countries borders. You play games with people from other countries, and enjoy their entertainment. It's already happening, and governments don't want this obviously.

You would never see this giant world ruler or leader, but I can see currencies merge and people will be allowed to travel without the need of passports. Certainly first world countries are moving in this direction, and eventually so will 3rd world countries. I believe Star Trek works like this, even though you don't really see how governments work on Earth in that show.

Governments don't like this cause it means they lose power over the people. It's easier to control and corrupt a small group of people.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    "so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

at least quote it correctly!
    I did not actually quote it, I simply mentioned it without restating it. Mainly because I do not have it memorized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Who are you addressing exactly?
    the people who support globalization

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    It makes everyone but extremely skilled workers and land holders much poorer then they would otherwise be in wealthy nations.

It also increases violence and introduces new violent ideologies to the local population.

It really is a shitty deal unless your paycheck is in the millions each year.
    Why does globalism cause people to become more violent?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    The perceived source doesn't matter as much as the facts. The facts are the US has over 10 million illegals and for a European example Germany alone received over million in the last couple years.
    When did Globalism equal immigration/migration?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    For me, globalism is the next big step for human civilization. We're already there, just not the governments. Many people communicate and do business over their countries borders. You play games with people from other countries, and enjoy their entertainment. It's already happening, and governments don't want this obviously.

You would never see this giant world ruler or leader, but I can see currencies merge and people will be allowed to travel without the need of passports. Certainly first world countries are moving in this direction, and eventually so will 3rd world countries. I believe Star Trek works like this, even though you don't really see how governments work on Earth in that show.

Governments don't like this cause it means they lose power over the people. It's easier to control and corrupt a small group of people.
    I dont see it happening despite claims. Even with shades of it existing already. I don't think the world is remotely close to what that would require.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    the people who support globalization
    We're already globalized, we've had a globalized society since the Silk Road and it's only going to get more globalized...

I'm talking about globalism, which is apparently different from globalization.

What do people mean by a world government? A world where there is literally one type of ruling government, and every nation is ruled under it? The world doesn't work like that. You would have to abolish all the monarchies and dictatorships first. We can barely decide on laws in the US, you think it would be easy for the entire world to agree on those kinds of things?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Dissolving of borders will inevitably mean mass migrations of people.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Dissolving of borders will inevitably mean mass migrations of people.
    Alright, I understand, although the migration of Mexicans into the United States isn't neccessarily bad. The biggest issue is not the poor coming on work visas to the US and overstaying them, the bigger issue is the Drug Cartels and political corruption.

In my opinion, it is not feasible to have a North American Union (Canada, US and Mexico with maybe some richer Caribbean islands) without addressing the elephant in the room, which is the drug cartels.

A European Union with Western and Central Asian nations would only work if there was a level of liberalization in those countries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Alright, I understand, although the migration of Mexicans into the United States isn't neccessarily bad. The biggest issue is not the poor coming on work visas to the US and overstaying them, the bigger issue is the Drug Cartels and political corruption.

In my opinion, it is not feasible to have a North American Union (Canada, US and Mexico with maybe some richer Caribbean islands) without addressing the elephant in the room, which is the drug cartels.

A European Union with Western and Central Asian nations would only work if there was a level of liberalization in those countries.
    Bad depends on social class, I come from the class that hires maids, but if you work as a maid then each new person is competition for you and makes ones wages that much more stagnate and their life that much more precarious.

The issue with globalism and globalization is its ultimately the pet project of the wealthy and the elite and pays no heed to the misery it inflicts on the smaller folk of this world.

Bad depends on social class, I come from the class that hires maids, but if you work as a maid then each new person is competition for you and makes ones wages that much more stagnate and their life that much more precarious.

The issue with globalism and globalization is its ultimately the pet project of the wealthy and the elite and pays no heed to the misery it inflicts on the smaller folk of this world.
    I come from an upper middle-class background.

I think that after sometime, areas stabilize, although there may be a wave of immigration or migration to one specific area, the lack of people in those areas may lead to those who want to buy and invest in those areas.

Of course I'm not an economist, I'm just one of many with an opinion on the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    That right there is the myth. Throughout the late 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's we had a financial and banking sector that was properly regulated and, most importantly, the taxes on the top 1% was HIGH, and we had real estate and wealth taxation. It's when we removed all of that that over time we got back to where we were before we implemented those after the Great Depression in the 30's. Just tax the wealthy again, and spend that money on schools, healthcare, housing, etc. That will save individuals money on not having to spend as much money on those things, so they will have more money over to spend on others things. This will grow the economy and create more jobs. That's the solution.
    You didn't even address his point on immigration and it's effects on an economy. The methods that worked during the mid 1900s won't happen the same way again, especially given the enormous rise in immigrants over the past 8 years.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

7+ Year Old Account
    I come from an upper middle-class background.

I think that after sometime, areas stabilize, although there may be a wave of immigration or migration to one specific area, the lack of people in those areas may lead to those who want to buy and invest in those areas.

Of course I'm not an economist, I'm just one of many with an opinion on the world.
    How nice "Things will be fine!" He tells the proles, the rich bounty will spread..... SOMEDAY!!!!!!

Sounds like a pie in the sky thinking to me.

Starting to think some of these posters haven't a clue as to what globalism is. They think of a few buzz words and simply revert to "America First!" without knowing the consequences of promoting isolation. In case some haven't noticed, we are not the only people living and producing in this world.

- - - Updated - - -

Say we start back to putting up tariffs on trade, try to cut our dependency of China and other specialized producers; don't be surprised to see a myriad of products like smart phones hike up in price. With all the flack that NAFTA was given, actual research shows we still benefited from such trade agreements.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R42965.pdf
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Say we start back to putting up tariffs on trade, try to cut our dependency of China and other specialized producers; don't be surprised to see a myriad of products like smart phones hike up in price. With all the flack that NAFTA was given, actual research shows we still benefited from such trade agreements.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R42965.pdf
    We? Yes some people benefited, Others were ruined, but we deemed their ruin to be less important than cheaper iPhones.

- - - Updated - - -

Globalism also has the serious problem of resting on the core assumptions that Liberal Free Market Capitalism is the Last and Final order of things, the perfect culmination of all things and thus should be pushed upon the whole world by hook or crook. Especially when we can't realistically debate these tenants in an open way or in a way that has consequences.

Globalism is a road to the grave IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Mostly from increased poverty.