Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yeah but I dont think you are that progressive if you're okay with Hillary.
    I am fiscally conservative but if good reasons can be given to me for certain programs I am fine with it
    I am socially liveral, but if good reasons can be given to me for certain things I am fine with it

Basically I am the other thing the founders of the US focused on as well as the rest of the enlightenment movement of that century. I focus on the reason aspect, not just the freedom aspect. You can scream FREEEDDDOOOMMMS all day, everyday, but there is a second half to that coin.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I am fiscally conservative but if good reasons can be given to me for certain programs I am fine with it
    I am socially liveral, but if good reasons can be given to me for certain things I am fine with it

Basically I am the other thing the founders of the US focused on as well as the rest of the enlightenment movement of that century. I focus on the reason aspect, not just the freedom aspect. You can scream FREEEDDDOOOMMMS all day, everyday, but there is a second half to that coin.
    Okay you are not a real progressive. Like Hillary you want to whine without actually being fiscally progressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay you are not a real progressive. Like Hillary you want to whine without actually being fiscally progressive.
    What?
    /10chars

Where do I say I like Hillary? I said thats good to your statement that you as a republican would benefit too. I think thats great, having someone of the opposite party in power should not take away anything from you in terms of befitting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I didn't say they don't pay taxes per se; Republicans advocate for not paying taxes. Which is obvious if you paid so much as a modicum of attention to the republican platform.
    Why do you think in such absolutes? Only Siths think in absolutes. Wanting less taxes and better management of government spending doesn't mean they don't want to pay taxes. Hell, nobody gets excited about paying taxes, but if you want a government you need taxes. And if you don't pay your taxes, you go to jail. I've heard libertarian arguments about a tax free system but I don't buy into it. That and the whole non aggression pact are two of the biggest reason I don't consider myself a true libertarian.

As for the military, if you don't have active conscription ongoing in your nation, then it's hardly a sacrifice on your part but simply a job you chose, freely. You also contribute no more or less than someone who sweeps the roads or clears sewerage.
    What? You go down to the local VA and tell them that. Tell us how that goes.

Yeah, which is basically cherry picking what laws you want upheld, and on who. Republicans don't want small government, they want a government that's at their beck and call; one that regulates their opponents but not themselves. They, like you, just say they want small government, because if they told the truth, it would look really bad.

Not like anyone with so much as a shred of insight can't just sift through their bullshit as is, but hey, it's important to put up appearances, even if just a thin veil. Fuels the usual republican semantic arguments.
    NO, JUST NO. IT IS LITERALLY THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE!!!!!!! It means following the words written down in the fucking document. And hey guess what if you don't like the wording or you don't like a certain law; it can be changed. (See slavery, prohibition, voter laws, etc.) Believe it or not there is even a process on how to go about doing such a thing in the document. I don't give a fuck about corporate interests or what bullshit some bought politician is spewing. THIS IS WHY I'M NOT A FUCKING REPUBLICAN.

I just want government to do it's fucking job, protect life, liberty, and property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemak View Post
    Why do you think in such absolutes? Only Siths think in absolutes. Wanting less taxes and better management of government spending doesn't mean they don't want to pay taxes. Hell, nobody gets excited about paying taxes, but if you want a government you need taxes. And if you don't pay your taxes, you go to jail. I've heard libertarian arguments about a tax free system but I don't buy into it. That and the whole non aggression pact are two of the biggest reason I don't consider myself a true libertarian.

What? You go down to the local VA and tell them that. Tell us how that goes.

NO, JUST NO. IT IS LITERALLY THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE!!!!!!! It means following the words written down in the fucking document. And hey guess what if you don't like the wording or you don't like a certain law; it can be changed. (See slavery, prohibition, voter laws, etc.) Believe it or not there is even a process on how to go about doing such a thing in the document. I don't give a fuck about corporate interests or what bullshit some bought politician is spewing. THIS IS WHY I'M NOT A FUCKING REPUBLICAN.

I just want government to do it's fucking job, protect life, liberty, and property.
    The only issue I have with taking the constitution to its most literal is

the founders didnt... they passed a few laws not that long after that kinda conflicted.

7+ Year Old Account
    Done, we have good law enforcement and the 1st and 2nd amendment are going strong.

The problem is those three goals are often at odds. For example, by protecting a drug company's property, you may be failing to protect the life of certain patients. Many more examples if you need.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I was raised by Roosevelt (Franklin) Democrats in the Pacific Northwest. Can't get more Democratic than that. I've never voted for a Republican in my life and certainly won't be this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The only issue I have with taking the constitution to its most literal is

the founders didnt... they passed a few laws not that long after that kinda conflicted.
    Yes the one that comes to mind first is the establishment of a Federal Bank. Completely unconstitutional in my opinion, yet without it the nation probably would have fallen apart. I'm not necessarily a hardliner and I try not to be too idealistic. Jefferson and Hamilton were at odds with each other on many issues. I just tend to side more with Jefferson.

Done, we have good law enforcement and the 1st and 2nd amendment are going strong.
    Yep, it's gov overreach that I have a problem with. Something like making health insurance mandatory. I actually not against a gov option, but if someone doesn't want to pay into it, they shouldn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    The problem is those three goals are often at odds. For example, by protecting a drug company's property, you may be failing to protect the life of certain patients. Many more examples if you need.
    In that scenario, the goal are not at odds. If an entity violates someones right to life, they are at fault therefore forfeiting their rights. If an entity's rights are violated for no reason by government, such an act would be unlawful.

In that scenario, the goal are not at odds. If an entity violates someones right to life, they are at fault therefore forfeiting their rights. If an entity's rights are violated for no reason by government, such an act would be unlawful.
    "The Congress shall have Power To...promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries...."

That's from our constitution. That's property. The scenario I was describing is that in order to protect the intellectual property of drug companies, you may have to sacrifice life.

Racial politics.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    "The Congress shall have Power To...promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries...."

That's from our constitution. That's property. The scenario I was describing is that in order to protect the intellectual property of drug companies, you may have to sacrifice life.
    Sacrificing life is violating someone's right to life. When government allows this to happen, it is unlawful. "The Congress shall have Power To..." says it all. This clause grants congress the power to protect patents not violate the right to life of others.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    To put it in the most civil way possible, I believe Democrats are naive and believe in fairy tale thinking, almost like a Disney movie. This head in the clouds thinking is amusing at best, and destructive at worse.

Even though it would be nice if everybody in the world would get along, that is simply not how the world works. The human race is not perfect, and there are certain things hard-wired that won't go away. Cultures will always clash.

There will always be rich people and poor people, because there are always hard working and lazy, and sometimes lucky and unlucky.

War is necessary. Violence has also solved more problems in the history of man than "love" and diplomacy.

I love the USA. I feel Democrats either don't appreciate the USA at best, and hate it at worse. If somebody is in the USA and burning and American flag, I assume it's a liberal.

I value tradition. Change for the sake of it I do not agree with.

I value the family unit. Wife, Husband, Kids. Strong family = strong community = strong nation.

I think their ideas on equality are backwards. Racism I already think will never go away, but it especially won't go away if you give certain parties special treatment, and tell them all their problems are due to another race.

I value capitalism. Let people innovate and create and compete.

I could go on, just a few parts.
    Democrat, Because I don't want to be one of these people. As simple as that.

7+ Year Old Account
    I registered as Democrat when I turned 18 way back in 1986. For a long time now who I am registered with has little to do with my actual political leanings.

I believe in Freedom to live peacefully, Morality, family values, the constitution, and the rule of law.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was raised by ardent Republicans, dad was a 'bootstraps' kind of douchebag, always complained about how hard he had to work and bitched about minorities getting handouts my whole life.

Anywho I went to college where I was brainwashed by the liberals and now I vote Democrat.

I don't have a problem with moderate Republicans though, they are just getting more and more scarce. The Republican party is filled with alt-right racists, religious extremists, and tea party no compromise shitbags these days, all of which I am entirely opposed to.

I am pretty centrists though... Hate regressive leftists/SJWs as much as I hate alt-right idiots...

Sacrificing life is violating someone's right to life. When government allows this to happen, it is unlawful. "The Congress shall have Power To..." says it all. This clause grants congress the power to protect patents not violate the right to life of others.
    What's the difference? If congress denies the right to make a living on inventions, isn't that also a threat to a life?

Return to the main point. Government protecting, "life, liberty, and property" is not cut, dry, nor clear.

im a "they're just like us" democrat because its the current year!

I'm neither. I tend to vote democrat because republicans are ass backwards on a lot of social issues. That's not to say the democrats don't have their crazies as well. Regressives on both sides kind of ruin the parties and neither party is doing a good job of pushing them out of their parties.

I'm registered as unaffiliated, but I lean to the right and have always voted Republican or unaffiliated. I would register Republican but Neo Cons really grind my gears. They are just as bad as Democrats honestly. They favor increased government.
    But that's the same reason I vote R. Most of the small government, follow the constitution, libertarian, anti-establishment type of people are registered R. Honestly Ted Cruz would have been my perfect candidate if not for his need to constantly bring up religion and his inability to go toe to toe with the Donald. And let's face it he is creepy.

Bottom line, I vote small government and anti establishment. I just want to be left alone.
    But he isn't small government. He is actually bigger government than Democrats.