Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Legion is the "biggest" legion invasion ever

Yeah I find it rather hard to believe this. Legion going to end EXACTLY like Warlords of draenor, we were told that the Iron horde was the most dangerous threat we've ever faced thus far and they were defeated before 6.1.
    What about the third war? The burning legion didn't even use their armies only their minions, and even then they managed to kill cenarius very easily, they destroyed the entirety of Lordaeron, they burnt Quel'thalas to ashes and they nearly destroyed The night elves and Orcs.

So with the biggest legion invasion ever, why are there only going to be demons on the Broken Isles? Why aren't there mass legions (Pun not intended) of demons everywhere on maybe say, Northrend or in Eastern kingdoms Kalimdor and Pandaria? Yeah they are going to attack in the prelaunch event, but so did the iron horde, how did that turn out? Neither did it make sense then, they had basically millions of orcs on the other side and they were just waiting for nothing, sending only 3 orcs at a time.

The only real villain we've ever had that actually acomplished something in WoW was Deathwing as he rekt the planet upon arrival and there were twilight cultists everywhere seeking to destroy the entire planet, now THAT felt like a threat! And this wasn't even the Old gods at their peak, there were no old gods at all to save them or C'thraxxi or anything. You might say that the Lich king felt like a threat aswell, but let's not kid ourselves, his armies lost at every turn, even if he killed us on the citadel, he still lost there so he didn't really acomplish anything. The so called Legion invasion is confined to a small isle and being defeated by some adventurers?

TL;DR: Biggest legion invasion ever? More like biggest pushover of an attempt at an invasion ever. The legion is not going to do any better than the Iron horde when it comes to winning. They are going to lose at every turn and be defeated before 7.1. The 3rd war felt like more of a threat than this, as did Cataclysm, because they actually caused damage, "The biggest invasion ever" is going to be confined to a small pathetic Isle.
    An'u belore delen'na

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know, I'd say the way Legion will tyrannosaurusreck us at the Broken Isle is one of the biggest defeats player armies suffered. Like, really, faction leaders and countless armies they brought with them destroyed, Fordring dead, demons attack in the heart of Alliance and Horde capitals? As a bonus, they blew up a chunk of the Pandaria.

Yes Deathwing was spectacular, but he did not quite decimate Alliance and Horde armies and killed their leaders at the start of the expansion.

Heck, if you think about it, so far it's the first real defeat we had in WoW as players.

That said, biggest invasion ever? Don't know about that, I think it pales in comparison to the War of the Ancients which ultimately blew up half of the planet.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2016-07-24 at 11:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMyouhaveaids View Post
    So with the biggest legion invasion ever, why are there only going to be demons on the Broken Isles? Why aren't there mass legions (Pun not intended) of demons everywhere on maybe say, Northrend or in Eastern kingdoms Kalimdor and Pandaria? Yeah they are going to attack in the prelaunch event, but so did the iron horde, how did that turn out? Neither did it make sense then, they had basically millions of orcs on the other side and they were just waiting for nothing, sending only 3 orcs at a time.
    Given the demon invasion pre-event, as well as the fact that monks need to relocate from serenity peak, this point is wrong.

I can't speak to other class hall quests but the legion invades Ulduar as well in the warrior class campaign.

Well of course it is. Who would buy an xpac saying: "Legion - second biggest legion invasion ever! Be nearly as afraid as the last time!"

As you already pointed out, PR slogans like that are pretty meaningless. Guess we will see how threatining it felt, once its over. I am guessing more than the iron horde and the panda stuff, but less than cata and wrath, which both did a pretty good job at making azeroth feel endangered.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Well of course it is. Who would buy an xpac saying: "Legion - second biggest legion invasion ever! Be nearly as afraid as the last time!"

As you already pointed out, PR slogans like that are pretty meaningless. Guess we will see how threatining it felt, once its over. I am guessing more than the iron horde and the panda stuff, but less than cata and wrath, which both did a pretty good job at making azeroth feel endangered.
    I really wonder how in Wrath we felt in danger. We had the necropoli that we pushed back before they did any damage. Major city attacks that had no lasting damage done. Then we went straight to Northrend and had victory after victory with no real losses.

Deleted
    The broken isles is their HQ. We do a pre-emptive strike against them before they can launch a full scale attack on the rest of azeroth. In the 3rd war we were caught unprepared. The guardian was gone and no one else was watching for demonic activity with the plague going on.

I hope we get lore about what is going on in other places of azeroth while we fight on the broken isles. how the legion destroys villages while we are busy. In the end the tactic of the legion is very much about delaying any resistance, cause fear and panic by killing innocents, while they get out their big guns.

- In WOTA they had the well of eternity to power their portal
    - The 3rd war seemed more about a revenge mission against the night elves than anything else, which explains the destruction. With the end goal to use nordrassil to power the portal.
    - In legion they go back on the defensive and they just need to hold us off long enough.

The iron horde invasion was probably more intense than what we got and would have been nice if there was some sort of cinematic that showed the troop advancement of the iron horde onto azeroth so we can see which places they capture lorewise (or just a book from the iron horde PoV). But all of this was left out. I blame it to bad story telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Given the demon invasion pre-event, as well as the fact that monks need to relocate from serenity peak, this point is wrong.
    Yes and after the pre-event there is 0 burning legion on Azeroth aside from the broken isles
    Last edited by Candy Cough; 2016-07-24 at 01:00 PM.
    An'u belore delen'na

I really wonder how in Wrath we felt in danger. We had the necropoli that we pushed back before they did any damage. Major city attacks that had no lasting damage done. Then we went straight to Northrend and had victory after victory with no real losses.
    Back in the days that frostwyrm blasting orgrimmar felt like an actual attack. Today that one might not really be all that impressive anymore. Wrathgate/uc betrayel were also done very well, that felt like a serious loss and in general running around in Icecrown (the zone), dodging elites left and right felt like there was an actual threat coming from the scourge.
    I do agree though, that the questing experience and the infamous "MUHARHAR! I will get you the next time!" LK felt more comical than dangerous.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Yes and after the pre-event there is 0 burning legion on Azeroth aside from the broken isles
    And tbh the Demon Invasions don't even feel that large considering the fact that they're only invading like 6 zones. Not to mention the fact that if you look at the map the zones they are invading are all coastal zones on the great sea which says to me that the Legion can't seem to hold a beach long enough to deploy and overrun a continent. All of this is seemingly strange since they have space ships but that doesn't seem to matter much.

7+ Year Old Account
    1)Yeah I find it rather hard to believe this. Legion going to end EXACTLY like Warlords of draenor, we were told that the Iron horde was the most dangerous threat we've ever faced thus far and they were defeated before 6.1.

2)What about the third war? The burning legion didn't even use their armies only their minions, and even then they managed to kill cenarius very easily, they destroyed the entirety of Lordaeron, they burnt Quel'thalas to ashes and they nearly destroyed The night elves and Orcs.

3)So with the biggest legion invasion ever, why are there only going to be demons on the Broken Isles? Why aren't there mass legions (Pun not intended) of demons everywhere on maybe say, Northrend or in Eastern kingdoms Kalimdor and Pandaria? Yeah they are going to attack in the prelaunch event, but so did the iron horde, how did that turn out? Neither did it make sense then, they had basically millions of orcs on the other side and they were just waiting for nothing, sending only 3 orcs at a time.

4)The only real villain we've ever had that actually acomplished something in WoW was Deathwing as he rekt the planet upon arrival and there were twilight cultists everywhere seeking to destroy the entire planet, now THAT felt like a threat! And this wasn't even the Old gods at their peak, there were no old gods at all to save them or C'thraxxi or anything.

5)You might say that the Lich king felt like a threat aswell, but let's not kid ourselves, his armies lost at every turn, even if he killed us on the citadel, he still lost there so he didn't really acomplish anything. The so called Legion invasion is confined to a small isle and being defeated by some adventurers?

6)TL;DR: Biggest legion invasion ever? More like biggest pushover of an attempt at an invasion ever. The legion is not going to do any better than the Iron horde when it comes to winning. They are going to lose at every turn and be defeated before 7.1. The 3rd war felt like more of a threat than this, as did Cataclysm, because they actually caused damage, "The biggest invasion ever" is going to be confined to a small pathetic Isle.
    1)The iron horde was the hugest threat, as it was a whole planet versus ours, but luckly we got there quick and were able to help the dranei and frost wolves, if we dident save them, it would have been world versus world, also we only defeated them so quick because of betrayal withen the ranks

2)the destruction of lodaeron wasent the burning legion... it was fully arthas... they burning legion dident send him to do that... and quel'thalas only fell because, betrayal withen the ranks...

3)Thats the thing, even after the pre-event they are still attacking us, just that we arnt there to see it, were the champions, busy with the spear head... also they are attacking pandaria, but the pandaren are doing their best to hold them off, and why do we care about northrend? we dont have anyone there anymore... lorewise weve left northrend, nothing is there really, also iron horde only attacked the blasted lands...., the iron horde fell because they were led by the cocky garrosh, if garrosh let them have time to prepare, they would have been a even larger threat... but he wanted revenge now, he couldent wait much longer

4)yes deathwing was a huge threat, but he... he dident want to destroy the planet, he wanted to purge it.... the legion wants to DESTROY IT! their leader wants to come and cleave the planet in two, thats why its the biggest threat, cause the full force of the legion is here, and soon to follow sargeras

5)we havent seen the full power of the legion yet, thats the thing, the full force is here, at any moment they could pop out of the sky in millions of ships and portals, thats why they are the biggest threat, they can appear anywhere, any time, and even if we kill them now, they will return, again and again and again and again... they are infinite...

6)its all matter of war... they may not get us now, or the next time or the next time... but we will run out of forces.. we will run out of weapons... but they NEVER WILL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    And tbh the Demon Invasions don't even feel that large considering the fact that they're only invading like 6 zones. Not to mention the fact that if you look at the map the zones they are invading are all coastal zones on the great sea which says to me that the Legion can't seem to hold a beach long enough to deploy and overrun a continent. All of this is seemingly strange since they have space ships but that doesn't seem to matter much.
    lore wise they are attacking all the zones, its just would you like them to spend another year setting up every single zone, for us to play for only 3 weeks?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Back in the days that frostwyrm blasting orgrimmar felt like an actual attack. Today that one might not really be all that impressive anymore. Wrathgate/uc betrayel were also done very well, that felt like a serious loss and in general running around in Icecrown (the zone), dodging elites left and right felt like there was an actual threat coming from the scourge.
    I do agree though, that the questing experience and the infamous "MUHARHAR! I will get you the next time!" LK felt more comical than dangerous.
    we also run into the issue of people hated the wrath pre-event as it stopped them from being able to do what they wanted, im sure blizz would have loved a attack on the major cities of the legion, but yeah... it woulda "ruined people being able to do stuff"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

The Burning Legion does invade all across Azeroth, as depicted by the various class quests and the pre-Legion events. However, World of Warcraft is a video game that requires time and resources to develop and obviously Blizzard decided that doing another re-haul of Azeroth for the sake of immersion wasn't worth it.

Wrath of the Lich King was the same. The Scourge made one attempt at Orgrimmar and Stormwind City, threw out some plagued grain that was quickly neutralized, and then were beaten on their own continent. Even The Burning Crusade only saw a single demon invading major cities followed by the entirety of the war taking place on Outland (save Quel'Danas). That's just the nature of the game.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2016-07-24 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    5)we havent seen the full power of the legion yet, thats the thing, the full force is here, at any moment they could pop out of the sky in millions of ships and portals, thats why they are the biggest threat, they can appear anywhere, any time, and even if we kill them now, they will return, again and again and again and again... they are infinite...

6)its all matter of war... they may not get us now, or the next time or the next time... but we will run out of forces.. we will run out of weapons... but they NEVER WILL
    Please. Alliance and Horde obviously have access to clone machines under Stormwind and Orgrimmar. So we are infinite too! But on a serious note: The main problem for me is that I can't take "the biggest demonic invasion" serious if Alliance and Horde still find the time to fight against each other, and still win against the Legion and their minions.

If the factions want to fight, well alright be my guest, but then I want to feel how the Legion becomes stronger as they have time to gather troops etc. But, we won't feel this as faction conflict is far more important to Blizzard and patch 7.1 will obviously be "Rising Conflicts" with an Alliance vs Horde questing zone.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keydiam View Post
    Please. Alliance and Horde obviously have access to clone machines under Stormwind and Orgrimmar. So we are infinite too! But on a serious note: The main problem for me is that I can't take "the biggest demonic invasion" serious if Alliance and Horde still find the time to fight against each other, and still win against the Legion and their minions.

If the factions want to fight, well alright be my guest, but then I want to feel how the Legion becomes stronger as they have time to gather troops etc. But, we won't feel this as faction conflict is far more important to Blizzard and patch 7.1 will obviously be "Rising Conflicts" with an Alliance vs Horde questing zone.
    again we havent seen that yet, the only place were fighting in, is stormhiem and thats just sylvanas and greymane
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    1)The iron horde was the hugest threat, as it was a whole planet versus ours, but luckly we got there quick and were able to help the dranei and frost wolves, if we dident save them, it would have been world versus world, also we only defeated them so quick because of betrayal withen the ranks

2)the destruction of lodaeron wasent the burning legion... it was fully arthas... they burning legion dident send him to do that... and quel'thalas only fell because, betrayal withen the ranks...

3)Thats the thing, even after the pre-event they are still attacking us, just that we arnt there to see it, were the champions, busy with the spear head... also they are attacking pandaria, but the pandaren are doing their best to hold them off, and why do we care about northrend? we dont have anyone there anymore... lorewise weve left northrend, nothing is there really, also iron horde only attacked the blasted lands...., the iron horde fell because they were led by the cocky garrosh, if garrosh let them have time to prepare, they would have been a even larger threat... but he wanted revenge now, he couldent wait much longer

4)yes deathwing was a huge threat, but he... he dident want to destroy the planet, he wanted to purge it.... the legion wants to DESTROY IT! their leader wants to come and cleave the planet in two, thats why its the biggest threat, cause the full force of the legion is here, and soon to follow sargeras

1. Still a pathetic threat, their elite army wasnt even capable of controlling a cannon which was strong enough to raze the entire portal they had used weeks on making, no only that but we were basically killing thousands of orcs during the introduction, only by running and fighting at the same time and Nerzhul was so pathetically weak in Shadowmoon valley he basically lost to the player one on one, then we have the fact that nearly every single race in Draenor rebelled against them etc etc they were a stupid threat to begin with.

2. Exactly, it was their minions not their full force, the scourge managed to acomplish that, yet the burning legion themselves and their so called biggest invasion ever isnt even capable of holding some shore lines

3. As said it doesent matter, after the prepatch is over there will be 0 demons anywhere but on the broken shores

4. The hour of twilight is basically destroying all life on Azeroth which is almost the same as destroying it, deathwing was ordered to make this happen by his old god overlods

5. It doesent really matter, if the Illdari alone is capable of slaughtering millions of dreadlords alone and destroy a whole planet, let alone Kill BOTH ARCHIMONDE AND KILJAEDEN AT THE SAME TIME alone proves that the legion is the most pathetic threat ever

6. There really isnt any point to a next time since they'll end up losing anyway
    An'u belore delen'na

TL;DR: Biggest legion invasion ever? More like biggest pushover of an attempt at an invasion ever. The legion is not going to do any better than the Iron horde when it comes to winning. They are going to lose at every turn and be defeated before 7.1. The 3rd war felt like more of a threat than this, as did Cataclysm, because they actually caused damage, "The biggest invasion ever" is going to be confined to a small pathetic Isle.
    OK so how would you do it differently? Because when Blizzard puts that information out there, it's not just for hype, they're engaging the players imagination. If you pick it apart, of course it's not going to hold up. One has to be willing to accept that this is the next BIG threat coming for us.

How would YOU get that point across, within the WoW MMO setting.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Well, they destroyed pos from the monk thing and they killed Tirion, Varian, and quite possibly Vol Jin. So, thats three, or arguably two large lore figures that died JUST from the start of this invasion.

I most definitely wouldnt call that nothing. As for Azeroth, I understand what you are saying about the demons not being there and such, but we took the fight to them and got destroyed, so I wouldnt say thats nothing. This is actually the first time we have lost anyone of importance since...the start of the game I think. Not only that, but they destroyed a few places like pos for monks. They definitely had an impact.

someone doesnt understand taunting.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Wota was massive, they had a massive portal that was up and running around the clock for months, summoning hordes of demons, lieutenants, and other creatures, they also corrupted the night elves into satyrs . In the end it was so many demons that their forces stretched for miles upon miles of demons just waiting to kill. The demi god Agamaggaan for example charged into the demons, and he ran for miles killing thousands of demons under his feet, only to end up exhausted covered in blood and killed with spears.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    OK so how would you do it differently? Because when Blizzard puts that information out there, it's not just for hype, they're engaging the players imagination. If you pick it apart, of course it's not going to hold up. One has to be willing to accept that this is the next BIG threat coming for us.

How would YOU get that point across, within the WoW MMO setting.
    He wouldnt.People give Blizz a lot of shit but forget the fact that its very hard to represent the full lore in a game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    Wota was massive, they had a massive portal that was up and running around the clock for months, summoning hordes of demons, lieutenants, and other creatures, they also corrupted the night elves into satyrs . In the end it was so many demons that their forces stretched for miles upon miles of demons just waiting to kill. The demi god Agamaggaan for example charged into the demons, and he ran for miles killing thousands of demons under his feet, only to end up exhausted covered in blood and killed with spears.
    You cant do that in WOW !! Miles upon miles of NPCs would cause tremendous lag and crash servers.Their doing the best they can.appreciate it or gtfo.