Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Your interpretation means little if anything. Nor does it produce the most benefit for the society you extol as god's own country.
    It means a lot to me within the context of this thread where we're discussing why we affiliate with a party. My interpretations of the constitution are part of why I vote the way I do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    If i were a US citizen i wouldn't identify with either republican or democrat
    You'd do the hipster thing and be Independent despite it not making a lick of difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    It means a lot to me within the context of this thread where we're discussing why we affiliate with a party. My interpretations of the constitution are part of why I vote the way I do.
    I'm sure. It doesn't make them valid or well reasoned.

Deleted
    You'd do the hipster thing and be Independent despite it not making a lick of difference?

- - - Updated - - -

i probably wouldnt vote, but as im not a US citizen, it doesn't really matter what i would/would not do

Nor do your own interpretations hold anymore weight or validity. The only thing they do is shape your individual vote.

Deleted
    Democrat (eventhough im a european). Because of basic logic.

Democrats:
    You know you dont need a machine gun and if your daddy fucks you, you dont have to keep his baby.

Republicans:
    All life is precious, untill it steps on my property.

- Dr. Jim Jefferies

10+ Year Old Account
    Nor do your own interpretations hold anymore weight or validity. The only thing they do is shape your individual vote.
    Mine tend to be a little more thought out than 'muh guns'.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me its more to do with being a nationalist over a globalist at this stage of the game. I do not want my country to share Europe's fate.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    For me its more to do with being a nationalist over a globalist at this stage of the game. I do not want my country to share Europe's fate.
    Australia's immigration policy is sufficiently racist to preclude that, I can assure you.

Mine tend to be a little more thought out than 'muh guns'.
    Too bad that isn't what I said and again this is another strawman. My vote stems from my interpretation of the constitution as well as the fact that areas with more guns have less crime and areas with more gun control tend to have more homicides. So I'm not out looking to restrict the rights of ordinary people in an effort to curtail a small minority of mentally ill people who use their guns for mass violence, who as we just saw in France will kill people by the dozens with or without a gun if they are so motivated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad that isn't what I said and again this is another strawman. My vote stems from my interpretation of the constitution as well as the fact that areas with more guns have less crime and areas with more gun control tend to have more homicides. So I'm not out looking to restrict the rights of ordinary people in an effort to curtail a small minority of mentally ill people who use their guns for mass violence, who as we just saw in France will kill people by the dozens with or without a gun if they are so motivated.
    And yet such massacres tend to happen with far more frequency in the United States than things like the Nice attack do in France.

And yet such massacres tend to happen with far more frequency in the United States than things like the Nice attack do in France.
    But as I said, areas with more gun control have more homicides. There is no reason to believe that stripping away the rights of all citizens due to the actions of a few will have a positive effect. They can simply get behind the wheel of a truck and kill just as many people, then what do we do, ban trucks?

Honest answer - environment and more liberal views toward animal welfare, anti-religious decision making and clean energy.

Every time a Republican gets questioned about the environment its the same rhetoric "BAH! The EPA is takin' hard working American jobs! The coal mines employ thousands of people! We need to take more of America's resources to hell with the forests and rivers! Drill for oil! Fish more fish!"

When questioned about animal welfare "Animals don't have souls, God gave only humans souls. Animals are here to serve us! read Genesis!" (Paraphrasing here obviously)

When questioned about clean energy "The technology is too expensive! Wind and solar can't compete with the efficiency of coal and oil!"

And these are my big 3 concerns. I identify with Green Party, but since that Party is lol I default to democrat in the elections.

Economically I'm more Democrat than Republican but I registered as a Republican purely because I am prolife and Democrats are not.

The pro-choice position to me is one about rejecting personal and society responsibility by changing the nature of an unborn child from a future human being to parasitic waste material because children are inconvenient.

We should invest in medical social programs to limit/reduce/eliminate unplanned and unwanted pregnancy but if a child is conceived then it should be protected and cared for.

Each person represents a unique perspective on the world and the more voices and viewpoints that we have the more problems that can be solved, as long as those people are healthy, educated and self-sufficient so that they can fully interact with society at large to solve problems and relieve suffering. Killing the unborn before they leave the womb means that their voices are considered irrelevant before they are heard, which is too prideful a position for my tastes.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

But as I said, areas with more gun control have more homicides. There is no reason to believe that stripping away the rights of all citizens due to the actions of a few will have a positive effect. They can simply get behind the wheel of a truck and kill just as many people, then what do we do, ban trucks?
    Where the fuck are you getting that shit from? States with more guns and lax gun laws have THE MOST gun deaths AND the MOST mass shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    You are free to not have an abortion, you know that right?
    I am also free to mourn that about a million abortions are performed in the United States every year. That is 1 million voices that are silenced without being heard.

Many of those their parents didn't use any contraception, either through lack of access or personal/partner choice. Family planning care should have been provided to them so that conception should never happen, or options made available to them to adopt out the child so that voice could be educated and heard eventually.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Deleted
    No trucks are required to get to work, guns are not.

Quite obviously because the party is most in line with my views and desires. There should be no other reason necessary or considered.

I think it is best to not be a Dem or a Pub. Just think for yourself. Why should you listen to what these people say? They are only human, as are you, anything you might think has just as much merit as their thoughts and ideas. Your ideas probably have more merit as you are probably less dishonest and corrupt than they are.

As someone who doesn't live in America, I find I agree more often with Democrat policies. I don't subject myself with identifying with a party, I prefer to choose based on who I find will be the better fit for the position. Most of the time I end up choosing that nobody was worthy of my vote, I won't choose the shinier of two steaming piles just to satisfy some need to vote. So also never bought into the didn't vote, no voice rubbish people spout. My vote 'matters', so I will use it only when I deem someone worthy of it.
    Now back to why I'd say I'm more democrat than republican, I find they have more policies that care for the disadvantaged of the nation. As someone who feels that welfare is something that America could really improve upon, the more left facing party is likely to have my views more often than not. Of course there are things I find I see rather right of center on, rule of law for example, I'd be more inclined to see it from a republican view. I'm a mix of views, I'm pro choice, pro drug legalization (don't even like drugs but it'd be a good source of tax revenue if done well), pro death penalty (well some crimes are just too nasty justify giving the criminal free room and board for life), for better gun control (I find when you're able to sell guns at walmart you might be too liberal with gun access), for better police training and delegation of duties of the police, anti nukes (I know they're to deter the use of nukes by other nations but rather no nation was walking around with nukes in the first place), pro military (not so much as a job, but I believe that there is a need for nations to have a military option to defend themselves or another), etc, etc. I'd say I'm more left than right, but it's still a mix so no way could I find myself as a single party person even if like I said a few times I'd probably view the democrat side of things more often than the republican view.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am registered independent. I side with Democrats, but consider myself further left than most of them. I don't even know what to think of the current republican party, it's just incredibly volatile, split 10 ways, and seems to be caving in on itself. That said, I am not a person with a lot of national pride. I am forcibly engaged in politics because it plays a big role upon my life in a time where the two parties are at their most opposite extremes and incapable of working together, but if I had the choice or career opportunity arise then I would probably not be living here.