Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Socially acceptable to play Pokemon Go yet WoW has a massive stigma

Don't you find it problematic that there is double standard in what games are socially acceptable to play without being labelled. There is a massive stigma attached to playing games like World of Warcraft especially raiding/lore (pvp not so much) yet a game that is based on a crap kids show has everyone and their mother geeking out.

Deleted
    There's no stigma unless you only associate with teenagers and weirdos

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't encountered any stigma about playing WoW. Matter of fact, my boss and I like to talk about it and EverQuest when we're slow, and one of the line cooks under me and I chat about FFXIV. The days of the MMO stigma are largely confined to baby boomers and sheltered soccer moms these days.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

a game on a mobile device which promotes walking around and meeting new people face to face

vs

a game where you sit on your arse and meet people over pcs but without any actual human interaction

comparing apples and oranges tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Don't you find it problematic that there is double standard in what games are socially acceptable to play without being labelled. There is a massive stigma attached to playing games like World of Warcraft especially raiding/lore (pvp not so much) yet a game that is based on a crap kids show has everyone and their mother geeking out.
    You've crossed the line

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    a game on a mobile device which promotes walking around and meeting new people face to face

vs

a game where you sit on your arse and meet people over pcs but without any actual human interaction

I don't know if you actually meet people with pokemon go though. You might bump into someone thats going after the same monster you're after but there is little reason to actually interact with them.

Adam and Thage pretending like stigma playing WoW doesn't exist in mainstream society (the real world) is not doing either of you favours. Obviously it depends on where you live and who you hang about with but our experiences cannot be that wildly different unless of course you didn't go to a normal school or a normal university or have a normal job where playing a game like WoW is frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    You've crossed the line
    I'll allow it.

The first series was decent as a kid, now they're cringey af

vs

Define "actual human interaction"? By the same idea calling people isn't interaction either. Is one required to touch a person at all times during interaction to confirm them as real?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Its because WoW involves understanding all the brainy stats and game mechanics. Its SOOO easy to make fun of WoW by portraying some nerd rambling off "Well I need 415 defense on my druid tank and my armor cap is 35,880 therefore I should wear the glorious cap of elf power over the battle helm of a thousand eyes!"
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Misty was my first crush :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Kid, people are always gonna judge you.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Pokémon GO: you go outside, walk/bike/jog around, you meet other people, you battle/trade with real people, etc etc
    World of Warcraft: you sit in your mancave, you sit, you sit some more, eat some snacks, you're forever alone in your (mum's) basement

Why could the two have different stigmas attached to them I wonder
    Also Pokémon GO was not based on the cartoon, it was based on the original Gameboy video games, like the cartoon

My facebook is exploding with defensive Pokemon Go players complaining about all the same crap you are giving them just now. (Its not for kids! and so on)
    So...I think your premise is just plain wrong.

But in the end, if you are older than 14 and you think you have to police/ridicule other peoples hobbies, there is probably a bigger problem going on somewhere. No matter if its poklemon, WoW or whatever else.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

And being mugged, robbed, ambushed , causing car accidents, ect, need links to all the news articles?

The only stigma with WoW these days is "you still play that shit?" lol. MMO's are always going to have that sort of stigma though, it's not a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Kid, people are always gonna judge you.
    I get judged because of my animu love pillow, feels bad man

10+ Year Old Account

vs

if only we could find a way to combine the two, we'd be richer than astronauts!!!

vs

The two games are comparable, the fact that they are both games is what makes them comparable. The device which you play them on has little bearing over the stigma which hovers over one yet not the other. You could argue Pokemon Go promotes impersonality and detachment from social situations because it is so portable and convenient to play. Instead of talking to a stranger while you wait in a queue or at the bus/train stop you are glued to your tiny screen. And for the record Pokemon Go in it's current iteration is less multiplayer (social) than WoW.

It's a generational thing. I'm a 35 year old lawyer, and my colleagues don't understand me playing Pokemon Go any more than they understand me playing WoW.