Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hanzo is very ineffective

I used to be a Hanzo main. I'm lvl 94, 56 competitve rating, over 20 hours of using Hanzo. I've come to the conclusion that he is a very ineffective hero that relies on luck and in poor enemy positioning. He is not a sniper, but more of a stealthy assassin. His DPS is extremely inconsistent, and a lot of the times it's like having 5 players instead of 6 because he is not pumping any damage.

Another thing that has made me phase him out in favor of more straightforwards characters is the fact that his counters are often picked as they have become staples to the meta. Heroes such as DVa, Winston, Tracer, Reaper and Widowmaker are ubiquitous nowadays, and they all make Hanzo's life a living hell.

So, I benched him in favor of Roadhog, McCree, Junkrat and Widowmaker. Sad because I had a lot of fun with him at low levels.

Opinions on Hanzo?

You're right.

He's a poor pick but fun.

All there is to it.

Have you seen Seagull's videos? He has a pretty high skill requirement until he could actually be considered a threat, Seagull pretty much kills anyone who gets to close to him as Hanzo. But Hanzo himself maxes out at something not good enough for competitive. The hit box changes probably didn't help either.

He is basically non-existent when you get into the 60+ ranks because he is, indeed, dead weight that you can easily contribute far, far more with as another hero and a MUCH more reliable way. And as you said, many teams will always have 2 tanks, sometimes 3, so while you might get a good amount of damage out, it won't amount to much in the end.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

Deleted
    Hanzo is a quickmatch type hero. I see little reason of picking him over widowmaker if you want a sniper. Still, he's a fun pick to play but as pointed out brings little to the table and you need to be so much better with him compared to other heroes to notice a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Hanzo is a quickmatch type hero. I see little reason of picking him over widowmaker if you want a sniper. Still, he's a fun pick to play but as pointed out brings little to the table and you need to be so much better with him compared to other heroes to notice a difference.
    And I don't see any reason to pick Widowmaker either.

Snipers are useless in this game because of the combat is usually really fast and snipers just aren't fast damage dealers by nature.

Hanzo has a saving grace that he doesn't use a scope and his ulti kills everybody but he still shoots a single arrow at a time and can't really be spam his damage in a quick way like Soldier or Reaper,

Widowmaker is useless overall, sure she can snipe good but single targets but usually she just isn't efficient unless the other team is bad, and her ulti isn't a game changer.

Having said that Hanzo is maybe the 2e most annoying character to play against (first is Mei), a player can go shoot randomly and he can head-shot you with that.

The hitbox nerf on him was unnecessary imo. I haven't really tested it that much, but just from what I've seen on dummies, the hitbox is MUCH smaller.
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post
    The hitbox nerf on him was unnecessary imo. I haven't really tested it that much, but just from what I've seen on dummies, the hitbox is MUCH smaller.
    People would rather see him as a useless character rather than Blizzard being a little generous with his headshots. I've asked around on the forum here, and people don't care that he was only mediocre, even before the hitbox nerf, because nothing is more annoying than getting hit when you don't feel like you should have been hit.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    People would rather see him as a useless character rather than Blizzard being a little generous with his headshots. I've asked around on the forum here, and people don't care that he was only mediocre, even before the hitbox nerf, because nothing is more annoying than getting hit when you don't feel like you should have been hit.
    I wish they'd compensated by making his Vision Arrow last much longer (so it's still an area and not competing with Widow's Ult) and drastically increased the lifespan of missed Geometry Arrow lasers.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Unnecessary? Fucking kidding right.. He was headshotting people who weren't even on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    Unnecessary? Fucking kidding right.. He was headshotting people who weren't even on the screen.
    Says the guy with the roadhog avatar. Lol.

I mean, yeah, Hanzo's hitbox was a little weird, but that's something they should've noted earlier on. When you play a hero, you start to get used to the hitboxes and such, then when they change that, it's annoying.
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    The problem with the hit boxes was that it was promoting degenerate play of just spamming area denial. That's not his role. It's basically the nature of this game that Snipers are very limited. That's basically all there is to it. Widowmaker has exactly the same issues, as does to an extent Ana.

Says the guy with the roadhog avatar. Lol.

I mean, yeah, Hanzo's hitbox was a little weird, but that's something they should've noted earlier on. When you play a hero, you start to get used to the hitboxes and such, then when they change that, it's annoying.
    For a minute there I thought I was complaining about hitboxes and you weren't...

The fact that the only thing that made the hero almost acceptable was absurd hitboxes means Blizzard need to rethink the hero. But broken and bad mechanics should be fixed instead of letting them remain as a duck tape fix for a bad hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    The fact that the only thing that made the hero almost acceptable was absurd hitboxes means Blizzard need to rethink the hero. But broken and bad mechanics should be fixed instead of letting them remain as a duck tape fix for a bad hero.
    Agreed. I used to get a kick out of headshotting people randomly with zen from across the map because the boxes were so huge. Throw on the general height of enemies heads > profit. Now at least I have to pretend I'm trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

One down a few thousand more to go

Basically bad hanzos were being carried by a shitty hitbox system which would never of stood in any other competetive shooter and are now surprised that the game won't compensate for their lack of skill any more. Big auto hit boxes are bad for the game. Skill should be the factor that kills, not wonky hit boxes and log sized arrows.

Deleted
    Make the arrow projectile faster. Problem almost fixed

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Make the arrow projectile faster. Problem almost fixed
    No, only way for Hanzo to actually being fixed is if he can shoot more like Soldier (so he has to be able to move and shoot like if he has a gun) or if his arrows explodes on impact.

Reason for him being ''weak'' is because Hanzo doesn't really help breaking threw, he can slow the opponent a bit down (hence he isn't totally shit at defense) but on offensive he won't help you push the car when he has to stand still to attack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    And I don't see any reason to pick Widowmaker either.

Snipers are useless in this game because of the combat is usually really fast and snipers just aren't fast damage dealers by nature.

Hanzo has a saving grace that he doesn't use a scope and his ulti kills everybody but he still shoots a single arrow at a time and can't really be spam his damage in a quick way like Soldier or Reaper,

Widowmaker is useless overall, sure she can snipe good but single targets but usually she just isn't efficient unless the other team is bad, and her ulti isn't a game changer.

Having said that Hanzo is maybe the 2e most annoying character to play against (first is Mei), a player can go shoot randomly and he can head-shot you with that.
    Widowmaker got an excellent ultimate. And if the person playing is good with twitch shots (like a sniper should be to fit on a team) you drop non tanks easily from a safe distance.

Haven't been killed by a hanzo ulti in several days during QM (never see him in CM) just sidestep and you're fine. Some heroes can just block it or avoid it with abilities, its not a big threat.

Maybe hanzo is a threat in pubs or something but non pub he's a cake walk most of the time. He also lacks any ability to escape if you just jump on him. Feels a bit pointless.

If widow was bad you wouldnt see her more as often in higher ranked matches.
    Last edited by mmoc44505a06a9; 2016-07-25 at 09:33 AM.