Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    What is a minority? What is a majority?
    Above or below 50% of a set.

7+ Year Old Account
    I live in a diverse society : the San Francisco bay area.

I have good friends and co-workers that are either Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, agnostic, or atheist.
    I have good friends and co-workers that were born in various places around the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, China, India, Cambodia, Ukraine, Soviet Union, Belarus, Armenia, Israel, Iran, Turkey.
    I have good friends and co-workers that speak both English and their native language (see country list above). Quite a few people, like myself, also end up picking up Spanish due to the number of Spanish speaking migrants living in the area.

Looking for a diverse society? Look no further than the San Francisco bay area.
    (I expect New York City is very similar in nature)

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Since he cited specific groups I was curious if it was not mathematical.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I live in a diverse society : the San Francisco bay area.

I have good friends and co-workers that are either Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, agnostic, or atheist.
    I have good friends and co-workers that were born in various places around the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, China, India, Cambodia, Ukraine, Soviet Union, Belarus, Armenia, Israel, Iran, Turkey.
    I have good friends and co-workers that speak both English and their native language (see country list above). Quite a few people, like myself, also end up picking up Spanish due to the number of Spanish speaking migrants living in the area.

Looking for a diverse society? Look no further than the San Francisco bay area.
    (I expect New York City is very similar in nature)
    I spend a good amount of time in San Jose and Santa Cruz so I have seen that sort of area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Thanks for saving me from saying something that would have surely got me in trouble. :P

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    Diversity, I believe was an old old wooden ship from the civil war era.
    Niiiiiiiiccceee. Me gusta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindai View Post
    I tried to reply to the OP, but I really couldn't tell you what it would look like, so I'll go with what I quoted.
    Would a Diverse society have uniform schools ect, as in peoples attending the same public schools, the same medium of education (I.E. Taught in the same language) ect?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would a Diverse society look like to you? You as in whoever decides to read this thread and cares to post.

What language(s) do they speak?
    Don't think it matters, but I think there needs to be at least two "accepted" languages, where most people can get by with either. The more, the merrier, when it comes to language. Ideally, there'd be a lingua franca that everyone shares as their second language or so, while retaining whatever other language they were raised with.

Communication is good, but so is variety. At my university, I'll hear people speaking Chinese, Japanese, English, French, Arabic, Farsi, Hindustani, Vietnamese, Thai, Swahili, German, Italian, probably others I didn't pick out. Classes are mostly taught in English (language classes, obviously, in that language), but people speak whatever.

What do the people look like?
    I really don't see how to answer this. Any definition I could give would necessarily limit things, which sort of flies in the face of that viewpoint. Ethnically, they'd be from all corners of the globe, and with intermixing being common. I'd imagine it would eventually lead to a loss of visually distinctive groups, after a dozen generations or two. Some people see that as terrible, but I really don't see the issue.

What are their interactions?
    The same as in any other society?

Government?
    In general, I support democracy because, as terrible as it may be sometimes, everything else is worse. But that's more general, and has nothing to do with diversity principles.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-07-24 at 10:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    The better educated a society is, the better they are at accepting diversity. As long as the ones who are different than the majority are educated as well. Hate and fear usually springs from ignorance.
    Which has to this day not been proven.
    Think about it , why should someone be tolerant only because they know quantum physics? While it is true that some education may help to further increase tolerance - and no shit like math or english clases aren't going to help there - it can also lead to quite the opposite. Just look at the Nazis , the Soviets or even Islamic terrorism today. In all three of these groups most of the true believers where pretty educated. The Nazi brass for example , many of them where doctors scientist etc. The soviets , communism and marxism has been teached back then , till this day in schools and universitis as if it is something truely good , or Jihadist where you have actuall math-doctors , inginieurs and professors blowing them selfs up in suicide attacks.

As for the Topic. Define diversity , diversity of culture and skincolour or diversity of opinion?
    I would concider a true diverse society one where the only diversity that actually matters is opinion and not just skin colour - but don't make the mistake assuming that it would be a nice one. Truth is , every kind of diversity will inevitably lead to strife . The only question is if it will be just shit talking on the internet or out right full scale violance , terror attacks and civil unrest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Communication is good, but so is variety. At my university, I'll hear people speaking Chinese, Japanese, English, French, Arabic, Farsi, Hindustani, Vietnamese, Thai, Swahili, German, Italian, probably others I didn't pick out. Classes are mostly taught in English (language classes, obviously, in that language), but people speak whatever.
    TBH, even tough i can understand that to some extend ,i simply don't get why they just can't talk the nativ language?
    And to extend this a bit further why so many people who are immigrating into another nation essentially want to go into another nation without going into another nation. Let me explain this a bit.
    Everywhere where there are kind off "enclaves" of immigrants by now you have essentially , well an enclave of the nation they are coming originaly coming from. In this i wonder what the reason was in the first place , if people went from say greece to russia but exept russia to be like greece and since it isn't they are trying to live only next to greece , shop in greece markets , talk mostly greek and try to make their neighborhood into a small pseudo greece.
    While , like i said , i understand that people like to cling to things that are familiar , still what is the damn point in immigratin in the first place.

In short , why aren't more immigrants willing to behave like the people they are now living next to - when in rome do as the romans do.

It means the least amount of white people possible

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zartorus View Post
    TBH, even tough i can understand that to some extend ,i simply don't get why they just can't talk the nativ language?
    That's the "lingua franca". But it's not a "native language". It's just the accepted language(s) of standard business in that country. And there's no reason to give up your mother tongue in picking it up.
    And to extend this a bit further why so many people who are immigrating into another nation essentially want to go into another nation without going into another nation. Let me explain this a bit.
    Everywhere where there are kind off "enclaves" of immigrants by now you have essentially , well an enclave of the nation they are coming originaly coming from. In this i wonder what the reason was in the first place , if people went from say greece to russia but exept russia to be like greece and since it isn't they are trying to live only next to greece , shop in greece markets , talk mostly greek and try to make their neighborhood into a small pseudo greece.
    While , like i said , i understand that people like to cling to things that are familiar , still what is the damn point in immigratin in the first place.
    Opportunity, in many cases. Protection from abuses in their homeland, in the case of refugees.

In short , why aren't more immigrants willing to behave like the people they are now living next to - when in rome do as the romans do.
    The original context of that quote was St. Ambrose talking about why he observed his faith in one way in Milan and another in Rome; he was basically saying "I'm easy, I don't rock the boat." It wasn't a call for Romans to enforce a rigid view of how to do things on everyone in Rome, just that you'll get less strange looks if you follow along with the local practices.

And it's from well over 1600 years ago. It's hardly a current thought.

The original context of that quote was St. Ambrose talking about why he observed his faith in one way in Milan and another in Rome; he was basically saying "I'm easy, I don't rock the boat." It wasn't a call for Romans to enforce a rigid view of how to do things on everyone in Rome, just that you'll get less strange looks if you follow along with the local practices.
    Cool trivia, but that's exactly what "why aren't more immigrants willing" questions; nothing about enforcement.
    Why aren't more people like St. Ambrose.
    I personally think it's because Rome was enjoyable. The will of the immigrant to adopt customs is predicated on how attractive those customs are.

Deleted
    That's the "lingua franca". But it's not a "native language". It's just the accepted language(s) of standard business in that country. And there's no reason to give up your mother tongue in picking it up.
    Thats not how your average joe sees it. And wouldn't the "Lungua Francta" not be more English today and not the nativ Language , you may or may not like the term but it is normal that french are speaking mostly french , germans german , turks turkish , italian italian etc it is and the important question is why people who are coming , for one reason or another are not willing to learn the language and culture of their new home nation.
    Not wanting to learn the language is the best sign that the people aren't willing to integrate in the first place , this will inevitably lead to major differences and a in group-out group mentality which only will end badly , and for the nativ population it becomes soon the question why they should accept and tolerate them in the first place - which is btw what we are seeing all over Europe right now.

[QUOTE=Endus;41553899] Opportunity, in many cases. Protection from abuses in their homeland, in the case of refugees.

This is not an argument at all. There are several nation that have similiar or virtually identical cultures as the one someones coming from. More importantly this leads to the question why they haven't done this - and the reason oftenly is a economicle one.
    And let's be true here , both immigrants and actuall refugees who are in European nations right now , or US for that matter are primarily there for the economicle benefit.
    But if they are so , why aren't they willing to actually become an actuall part of the nation and become an "us" instead of staying an "them" ?
    And trust me , most immigrants have this us vs them in group out group mentality.

And it's from well over 1600 years ago. It's hardly a current thought.
    This is relevant how? When in Rome do as the Romans do have as long is now , this is up to this point , meant that if you are in a certain new place with certain new people , behave as the people and try to become one of them.
    Which still doesn't answers the question btw.

7+ Year Old Account
    A Diverse Society is a Society that is Overrated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sockzz View Post
    It means the least amount of white people possible
    Bing. This guy understands.

To me, diversity means a place like NYC. Different ethnic backgrounds, different subcultural groups, different political ideologies, different religions, different languages.

Most of the US is not all that diverse.

We put 2-3-4-etc cultures living together in one same place in peace/relative peace, sharing what they have and making the world a place much more rich. But watch out because some people will yell "my culture is better than yours", "you are monsters, uncultured cavemen!!", "this is againts my culture", "no, you cant take this, its mine, only mine"

7+ Year Old Account
    A diverse society is one where I can walk into the supermarket with my husband without someone asking me my race.

(Because that matters somehow when purchasing hot dogs..)

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, in seriousness I'm agreeing with this answer. (Was agreeing wtih Celestia's answer)

You can walk onto any corner and find different shops for different cultures. You can buy food from whatever nationality and not get strange looks going there. There's no "us" or "we"... just "gimmie my damn $5.50".

Would a Diverse society have uniform schools ect, as in peoples attending the same public schools, the same medium of education (I.E. Taught in the same language) ect?
    To answer your specific questions:
    I think a common language (even if you speak your own at home) is needed to keep some mobility, both within the society and geographically. Where people go to school and what language they're taught in is secondary to me, but the common language should be included. Schools should of course (in my opinion) teach roughly the same so that the teachers on the next level of education know what to expect/demand.
    Where I live, foreigners have their own languages at home, we have a common language, and we learn English (and Spanish, Chinese, etc.) to speak with the rest of the world. Not being able to communicate is a big handicap.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

A divided society

You have Lil Dicky a Jewish rapper getting signed by Snoop Dog's label and making millions. Diversity is something that just happens but the conditions have to be right.

You know diversity when you see it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I think this is one of these questions where you can actually point to a real thing (in this case, cities like London and New York) and say: it's like that